SOTD: Saturday January 28 - Friday 3 February 2023.

SOTD 20230131.
heO7TmZ.jpg

3P "La Crema Prodigio" pre-shave cream.
Vintage brush / Maggard synth.
Mama Bear's Soaps "Siberian Fir Needle" shaving soap.
Homelikeshaving "START" 0.90 OC / Stork "Templar" handle.
Sputnik Teflon (2).
Homelikeshaving "DejaVu" ASL.

Tuesday 31 January
And so ends the first month of 2023, soon be Christmas :eek:
Feather has a really good reputation for its razors and blades, the exception is their single edge blade that fits the old Valet razor and to me are rough to say the least.
I decided to get out my DER-A model, DER-A standing for Double Edge Razor - Adjustable, which I've had for a while now. It shipped from the Far East quickly without a problem and came with a tuck of Feather Hi Stainless DE blades.
Its construction is a mixture of plastic and metal, and yet is comfortable and balanced in the hand. You aren’t spoiled for choice of settings, it has 2, mild and milder.
However, it really is a cracking razor to use. Loaded the Feather Hi Stainless and set 2 for the first pass wtg and 1 for atg and pick ups. Lathered up the trusty Mitchell’s WF with my no name old badger and swished off the stubble with ease, no issues and one happy man.
I have been tempted in the past by their AS-DS razor but its high cost is an issue for me, so I think I’ll stick with my current DER-A for the time being, it does the job just fine.

Have a great day fellas!

D0589F07-DB65-4A3F-8733-8861A2B46929.jpeg

31/01/23
Comparison shave #3
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - AP400B Slim Brass 22mm Silvertip Synth
Soap - Tabac
Razor - Blutt BR-1 - 0.86 - Athena
Blade - Wizamet Super Iridium - Med prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Vintage Tabac
A/S - Tabac EDC
Wk 05 (4).JPG
Lambda 4a.jpg
Today the Blutt is up against the Athena.
Tabac is up there for a shave soap for me, everything i need. Today the AP Brass whipped up a lovely lather, this little brush is working fine now with the reset knot.
I left it a bit later for my shave today as yesterdays shave had longevity on both sides.
I lathered up and used the Athena on the Right and the Blutt on the left.
I completed a WTG pass with both razors, the Blutt seemed to have a tiny bit of blade feel compared to none on the Athena, both razors delivered a very smooth 1st pass.
I completed the ATG pass with both razors and again the only difference i could feel was that tiny bit of edge on the Blutt, both dealing with the stubble admirably, both easily efficient enough for my medium stubble. I do not know how they would fare with a heavier growth.
Finishing with a little touch up on the neck whirlpools for an easy, very comfortable BBS.
I have a bit more experience with the Blutt and it was fitted with a new Wiza - a great combo for me.
Again it is a draw. I will have to run some other blades through the Athena, however, they both are very enjoyable razors for me.
A fine post shave routine, i thought the Vintage Tabac balm would have been done today so had a new tube on standby, there is probably 1 more application left. A nice splash of the Eau De Cologne to finish a very enjoyable bit of sink time.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Tuesday January 31, 2023
Razor: 1910 Dandy Razor
Blade: Gem SS (Modified)
Brush: Spartan Custom/Cashmere
Soap: Ethos Bergamotto Tallow Shave Creme
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Ethos Tortola (Tropical Bay Rum) SFS
Fragrance: PdP #63
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,548
Tuesday January 31, 2023
Razor: 1910 Dandy Razor
Blade: Gem SS (Modified)
Brush: Spartan Custom/Cashmere
Soap: Ethos Bergamotto Tallow Shave Creme
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Ethos Tortola (Tropical Bay Rum) SFS
Fragrance: PdP #63
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,548
Another “blast from the past” razor demo Dave. I love that we are able to keep these oldies going and thank goodness for the GEM, otherwise these bad boys would just become museum pieces. Am I able to throw my hat into the ring here for this give away? Cheers Alan

Another “blast from the past” razor demo Dave. I love that we are able to keep these oldies going and thank goodness for the GEM, otherwise these bad boys would just become museum pieces. Am I able to throw my hat into the ring here for this give away? Cheers Alan
You can be in but it would help if you commented there to help me remember since I'll pull names from there (y)

I
31/01/23
Comparison shave #3
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - AP400B Slim Brass 22mm Silvertip Synth
Soap - Tabac
Razor - Blutt BR-1 - 0.86 - Athena
Blade - Wizamet Super Iridium - Med prep
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Vintage Tabac
A/S - Tabac EDC
View attachment 99834
View attachment 99835
Today the Blutt is up against the Athena.
Tabac is up there for a shave soap for me, everything i need. Today the AP Brass whipped up a lovely lather, this little brush is working fine now with the reset knot.
I left it a bit later for my shave today as yesterdays shave had longevity on both sides.
I lathered up and used the Athena on the Right and the Blutt on the left.
I completed a WTG pass with both razors, the Blutt seemed to have a tiny bit of blade feel compared to none on the Athena, both razors delivered a very smooth 1st pass.
I completed the ATG pass with both razors and again the only difference i could feel was that tiny bit of edge on the Blutt, both dealing with the stubble admirably, both easily efficient enough for my medium stubble. I do not know how they would fare with a heavier growth.
Finishing with a little touch up on the neck whirlpools for an easy, very comfortable BBS.
I have a bit more experience with the Blutt and it was fitted with a new Wiza - a great combo for me.
Again it is a draw. I will have to run some other blades through the Athena, however, they both are very enjoyable razors for me.
A fine post shave routine, i thought the Vintage Tabac balm would have been done today so had a new tube on standby, there is probably 1 more application left. A nice splash of the Eau De Cologne to finish a very enjoyable bit of sink time.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.
I used to be indecisive Tony but now I’m not so sure. It looks now like I will have to buy all of these razors you’re testing, what a terrible thought! :ROFLMAO:

Last night's shave and a return to an old favourite with the theme, 'A wolf in wolf's clothing'

20230130_201543.jpg

'And I shall huff, and I shall puff, and I shall blow your bristles away'

Big Bad Wolf - Ikon B1
Werewolf - Super Max
Black wolf - Zenith dark synthetic
Cry wolf - Signature Soaps Wicstun
Vagina wolf - Simple moisturiser
Wolf whistle - Dior homme intense

'And, and, and it was all hairy and devouring things like there was no tomorrow'

So a break from the superb Athena and welcome back to an old friend who in my personal opinion is one of the finest bristle removing implements out there. Not to everyone's taste, but ranking high with me.

My first experience of a dark synthetic brush some years back (an early Yaqi) proved itself to be brilliant at throwing lather all over the place. More on the mirror than on the face. Dreadful object. Stroll in the Zenith dark and boy oh boy how things have changed. A really competent and effective bit of kit. Loving it. And what a better soap to dip it in to than the
Wicstun. Which in passing will be moved to its namesake later today, Wicstun, since I will be there until the end of March working the Humber.

Lather division out of the way and a jolly good show chaps.

After the assured approach of the athena it is evident from the offset that the B1 only ever had one design criteria, to be as nasty as possible. It is only because I am so used to this razor, having tamed the beast a long time back that I can get away with confidently throwing it over my face. Even then confidence gives way to collateral damage occasionally. That is complacency for you.

But what a tool the Ikon is. Not as big a tool as me though. Very few razors in my little world get closer than this and one in particular does close to a stupid level, and that is with what would normally be a crap blade. On this occasion the B1 shone through and presented a most wonderfully close finish minus any biting moments. Superlative.

Is it supreme over the Lambda? I don't think so as they both do the same job, but from two different design aspects. Both are similar as in the blade is secured across its entirety to eliminate chatter (a big plus in my books) and both shave. But that is where it stops really. They are two completely different razors in terms of facial presentation and feel. In this respect I can't say one is better than the other. They both shave damn close and comfortably (one through experience more than anything) with the B1 gaining slightly closer results, but that is more due to the nature of the razor.

The big difference to me though is I would feel extremely comfortable using the Athena everyday without hesitation. The Ikon less so.

Then again on another day I'd swear the 89 is God, then the Mongoose, the Enoch, the Tatara and so it goes on. I'm just happy to have the razors which I like and I prefer.

On this occasion I'm quite pleased the Ikon gets the God mantle for the day. Tomorrow?

It is just a shame the Lambda won't get a further shout for a while as I am away for a week and enough razors at the other side of the country to keep me entertained.

A superb Monday evening. Big grin value

And something to create a big grin in those with taste it is over to Aldious and that talented guitarist with drool factor, Yoshi.

Yoshi, who is this lady?

D3TkjjiWkAA0Myy.jpg

Last edited:
fOViVfx.jpg

The Razor Emporium 1955 soap
Gillette English BE Tech
Gillette Brasil Wilkinson Sword blade (#1) H 2 code (1987 is my guess)
RazoRock Boss synth brush "stubby"

Excellent soap, very "tallowy" and smells of hyacinth & gardenia to my nose. Superb shave!! (y)

P.S. For those who dislike tallow smell, I could discern none.

SOTD 20230131 Blasone by IschiaPP @ Forio
  • Brush: Oumo Classic White, Brown Tip Synth, 30x50mm
  • Soap: Erasmic Shaving Stick 50g / Weleda Rasiercreme
  • Razor: Henson Shaving AL13 V1 Medium Dual Tone RBR 2020
  • Blade: Bolzano Super Inox #7
  • After: Weleda Rasierwasser Vor und Nach
  • Frag: Myrurgia Flor de Blasón EDT Vapo
#Shave #WetShaving #WetShavers
#ShaveOfTheDay #ShaveLikeaMan
#Test #3017 #ShavingSoap #WIP
7UT97jN.jpg

Full size: 1200x600px
Soundtrack: Danny Elfman - Spider Man

Prep: Face wash with Simple face wash
Pre: Bart’s Pres-Shave
Razor: Yaqi 70SB on Stando King Polished SS handle
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: Omega 10029
S Soap: ExtroCosmesi – The End

Another good shave from the Yaqi head but one that I had to work extra for. Due to its mildness certain spots required multiple passes.

As I hinted in my previous post it's time to say goodbye. So if you're after a mild shaver keep a look out on the BST as this will make its way on there in the coming days.

PS The soap choice for today's shave was not a deliberate choice. It turned out to be quite appropriate for the end of the month and the end of Yaqi's stay in the den.
SOTD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom