SOTD: Saturday March 11 - Friday 17 March 2023.

SOTD: 11th March 2023.

5.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
Brush: Anbbas 24mm Synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Shaving Soap.
Razor: Muhle R41. (2013) - Derby Premium. (D1)
Razor: The Supply V2 injector (Head/Dome) - Personna Injector PTFE. (D4)

Cold water face & head wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Alum Rub. / Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / Paco Rabanne Pour Homme ASL. / Cien Men Sensitive ASB.

A new mix & match shave set up to start the weekend...Continuing my revisiting blade focus. The Derby premium & Usta I haven't used in some time. Derby blades are one of the most love/hate YMMV blade amongst traditional wet shavers.

If I where to choose a favourite from the premium, usta & extra then the it would be a draw between the Derby premium & Usta as both blades feel and perform better than the Derby Extra.

I've came to the conclusion and found that many of the love/hate reviews that Derby blades get, especially the Derby extra is due to when many people are first starting out in the wet shaving, Derby Extra's are normally thrown in with your first DE razor purchase, and because many of us "including myself" are/where lacking in shaving confidence & technique and pointing the early horrible rough bloodbath shaving experiences on the Derby Extra blade.

My personal view on them now has somewhat changed since my early experiences with them. They will never be my favourite blade of choice, but i now find all three to be smooth & efficient enough to provide an acceptable shave. One important lesson i have taught myself is I now never aim for perfection with my shaves, as '"Perfection is the enemy of perfectly adequate". My over-zealous passion for perfection was the major unnecessary cause of irritation nicks, & cuts with my shaving, not the love/hate Derby extra blade. I take into account that you can occasionally get the odd dud blade, this happens in anything that is mass-produced, but overall most blades are ok.

Now that I have gained much required shaving confidence and my technique has vastly improved i can now pair my R41 with either aggressive & non-aggressive blades and get a close comfortable shave without being afraid to shave and without the fear of my shave ending in a blood shaving massacre. Good technique, shaving confidence and using the lightest of touch are the key with the R41.

Everything in my shave set up this morning worked together excellently...The Supply V2 injector as always provided me with an effortless head/dome shave. Injector razors are such comfortable shaving tools for head/dome shaving.

Another close comfortable face and head shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Cien Men Sensitive ASB.

My face & precious swede are feeling super smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy the start of the weekend ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Today's shave:

rdt230311qnffk.jpg

- Barrister & Mann Marilyn
- Mühle Traditional rosegold Silvertip
- Mühle Traditional R89 rosegold with ASP blade
- Rose of Bulgaria aftershave

:D

PXL_20230311_084755228~2.jpg
SOTD March 11. 2023

Razor - Gillette New - Bostonian.
Blade - Gillette Platinum.
Soap - La Savonnire du moulin.
Brush - Zenith unbleached boar.
Bowl - Capitans Choice - Copper.
Post - Refinery ASB.
Frag - YSL Kouros edt.

First use of this razor and I'm super happy with the way it shaves, I felt it only right to put a Gillette blade into it and the pairing worked well.
The Donkey milk soap was fantastic and the lather was creamy and slick, just how I like it! :cool:
Super smooth and supple skin was the result.
Refinery ASB to finish and a liberal spray of YSL Kouros, perfect!
I shall be using this set up for the next week.

Until then, stay safe and shave happy!

Paul.PXL_20230310_163727862.jpg

Last edited:
11/03/23
Str8 Edge Saturday
Pre - Pears Transparent Original
Brush - Alpha Outlaw Titanium V1 Synth
Soap - OSP Dark Matter
Razor - Feather DX ACD-N
Blade - Feather Lights
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Cedarwood Argan Oil and Balm
A/S - Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 Jasmine
Wk 11 (1).JPG
Simply wonderful.
The Feather Light blade really turns this great little razor into a pussycat. They are not usable in any of my other AC shavette razors?
2 passes for a very comfortable BBS finish.
A Nice post shave to finish.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
SOTD 11-Mar
20230311_101314.jpg
Brush: Blackland Signature
Soap: Arko Hydrate Cream
Razor: Shield GEM
Blade: GEM PTFE

Shave on the fly this morning, over Leeds way to take the Mrs out. Family taking care of the little one. Cracking shave, the GEM is very very good and I don't particularly miss the polish so it'll do.

Smooth and and ready for a decent day/night out!

Hope everyone has a grand one.

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
2FD9E598-1624-4421-AFCD-D673ACC8A912.jpeg
  • Merkur Progress 2, 2, 1.5
  • Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
  • Hand-carved Ash with 26mm Cashmere
  • Hampshire Wool Fat #1
  • Davidoff Cool Water AS
Finally made the shave and hugely impressed with the Progress. In my 11th year of mucking about with DEs and that was my first whip round with an MP (apart from when I was arrested at RNAS Yeovilton but that’s another story…)

20230311_101207.jpg

First shave with my Rockwell 6S.

Not posting any real details as I'm testing it for a week against the R41GS here:

But I will say I went with plate 5 and it's given me a very chatty and smooth shave.

20230311_103443.jpg

Last edited:
No picture as I'm disgusted with myself.
Pearl Flexi
B&M Bay Rum
Synth with Silsmoke knot
Wizamet Super Iridium
I had almost a weeks growth so I opened my Flexi up to 6. All was going well, cutting like a good 'un then for some reson I went over my Punch like Chin for a second swipe without applying more lather and Ouch! yep a proper nick, Claret everywhere. My face looks like a Butchers Bin. I haven't done that for flipping ages. Shows you it pays not to get cocky and cut corners.

No picture as I'm disgusted with myself.
Pearl Flexi
B&M Bay Rum
Synth with Silsmoke knot
Wizamet Super Iridium
I had almost a weeks growth so I opened my Flexi up to 6. All was going well, cutting like a good 'un then for some reson I went over my Punch like Chin for a second swipe without applying more lather and Ouch! yep a proper nick, Claret everywhere. My face looks like a Butchers Bin. I haven't done that for flipping ages. Shows you it pays not to get cocky and cut corners.
Happens to the best of us, mate.

Back
Top Bottom