SOTD: Saturday March 11 - Friday 17 March 2023.

@DRJC , glad you're enjoying the clone. But setting 5? 5.....???????
View attachment 102209

Haha it's all good, 5 was mainly forbka, just found that easier. But I reckon that blade is blunt enough I could risk a full shave lol. Normally I wouldn't be that brave and stay sub 3, but sometimes you just have to try, second pass and took about as much growth off as a butter knife I knew the razor could be relied on to get things cutting.... Admittedly I was a little concerned when I came up with that stupid plan

Saturday AM 2023-03-11
Launch date in 1936 of HMS Royal Scotsman, later renamed MV Apollo as the floating headquarters of the Church of Scientology
TKgEkoG.jpg

Rooney Stubby 1 Porcelain Finest (22/45)
Penhaligon's Lords shaving cream (vintage)
Carbon Damascus Adamas
Wilkinson Light Brigade (4)
Penhaligon's Lords aftershave (vintage)

A wonderful start to my weekend. As close to perfect as a shave can be.
ZkaKaPy.jpg
ujrNqNH.jpg

Razor = Occam’s Oren …
Blade = Feather Pro Guard ( 1 )
Brush C&H V18 Lemans Gulf
Soap = B&M The Four Horesman ( War )
with matching splash
Balm = Clarins Super Moisturiser
View attachment 102203
Well Another Straight 10/10.
I haven’t used this Razor in a while for one reason or another but for me it’s the best shaving razor i own.
The Shave, The feedback on the razor is a joy to use,
infact i very much doubt there’s a razor out there with such feedback.
It really is first class.
I know these Potato Peelers arnt for everyone but it’s definitely my number 1.
i will go back to the wonderful Tatara tomorrow but i’m not keen on using the same razor shave after shave.
The Brush arrived thai morning it’s ok
not great just ok.
Apparently there’s not a lot of gel on this one in comparison to the V17 but for me they are fairly similar, Probably ever so slightly better but not by much.
Don’t get me wrong it’s still a joy to use but i’m really preferring the Scrubbiness of the Boar just now.
The Soap was also a first for me & a bst buy from Marc @Crossan.
These soaps are dark & complex quite similar in a way to some of my Declaration Grooming.
Very Wintery, very dark just exactly what you would expect from names like War, Death, Famine & Plague,
These names are telling you there’s nothing fruity & summery going on here lol.
The scents for me are class although this is the first one used in anger, again it just arrived this morning.
Over all this is one of the best shaves iv had in months,
Not that the rest weren’t good but this was special
Enjoy Your Weekend Folkes
Mike.
Excellent, glad you like them Mike!

11/03/2023

Razor: Yaqi SS Mellon
Blade: GSB (3)
Brush: Highlander
Soap: AdP

View attachment 102194

Christ, what a day. I emerged from this shave and the bathroom to find a worried looking wife. Water was coming through the ceiling and walls on the ground floor. Turned out to be a leak in our boiler which is on the 1st floor. Plasterboard should recover and the leak is isolated. New part required so we're without hot water until next Friday. I'm also probably in for £6-700 to repair it! Sod's law I cancelled the boiler cover in December.

Weekend is going well. Shave was nice enough.
Feel your pain, dude. My boiler was officially under warranty until October this year. It was only when pressure went through the roof a couple of weeks ago and I called it in they confirmed I'd missed my final service of 8 years' cover by a couple of months. £300 to service and reinstate warranty, plus cost of any parts needed for this job :mad: Sacked it off and thankfully the guy who came out to sort it was a total star. Couldn't pinpoint the issue, but did so much work under the £80 service cost (we're talking hours here) then fixed it for less than £150 on top of that. Still some genuine tradesmen out there :giggle:

Saturday 11th March

AMWts8BM5TggRs8rZreGx-gzf6QDb-qSpyhIl0zLs5K3wwl1TeC59bdl2vfaRLu8oWGgEu4t32VUOcea4h9cFdAUJOZvg5gsTC3WNdMgU1ICjy7RrwNX_t3Pc_uhuTo-7kIE3fMt0wbrz49XGIumdi2Y2fmjhQ=w800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Culmak (Vintage 1970s) Shaving Bowl & Omega 80005 Pure Bristle 24mm
Muhle Rocca Stainless & ASCO Platinum
Old Spice Aftershave

These platinum (class) blades from Lord are super-sharp!

That has not been to my preference when I've used them in the past, leaving me with post-shave irritation and redness, what with me being a heavy-handed shaver. Re-visiting them as part of a full run-through for the purposes of a full write-up, I'm finding that I'm starting to "get" this blade.

These are super-sharp!

I can usually achieve a shave that I am absolutely happy with through a single pass and maybe a little touch-up. Days when I really enjoy the shave, I'll make two passes and only very rarely will I do an against the grain pass for a third. Some blades require a second pass and they're generally blades I won't bother with again.

These are super-sharp!

... and I can get that single pass shave guarenteed. I do, however, have to lighten my touch; deliberately so, and not be tempted to do touch-ups. I have to (now) say, I might keep a small stash of these in for days when I just want to scythe it all away in one go without question. Where I've dispensed negativity before, it's because of my failings ... but you do need a light touch and you might find multiple passes can lead to irritation.

I've used most of the platinum blades from Lord now and they're all telling me the same story - I think it's a single blade with "Platinum Class" as the new nomenclature and any difference I'm finding is either imaginary or because of the age of the blades ... you know, older stock vs brand new stock. Standouts have most definitely been the Racer and this ASCO, but again, probably nothing actually in it and just that I enjoyed those shaves.

I switched over to the 1970s vintage of the Culmak soap that I have tonight and while I think I can still get that herbal scent that is very much so in the 1980s vintage, actually I'm getting more citrus and wood. I have absolutely no idea what the scent is supposed to be, but it's vintage, it's good and I love it!

My first entry for this week and a rather less protracted pile of drivel than usual. This one arrives full of affection and themed, 'Why do I love you all?'

20230311_190538.jpg

Why this razor? - Stainless Mongoose
Why this blade?' - Feather Super Professional
Why this brush?' - Steven Jagger 30mm Cashmere
Why this soap?' - Officina Artigiana
Why this balm?' - L'Occitane Cade

Why, why, why, bloody why? Because they happen to do a pretty damn fine job. And they did.

'Why do I love you all?'

'Because I do!'

1DEA06C2-CFE5-44FF-AB70-79128D5A9762.jpeg
SOTD: 11/03/2023

Razor: Yaqi Excalibur
Blade: Feather Pro, 11th use
Brush: Boti Annual Ring
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Goodfellas Smile Chronos Puck
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm
Fragrance: Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man EdP

A great shave from start to finish! The new bottle of Club de Nuit is a late birthday present, a great clone that’s lasted all day. The little Excalibur is a star which I think is great and a tad milder than the Vector, and none the worse for it.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

11/03/2023

View attachment 102194

Christ, what a day. I emerged from this shave and the bathroom to find a worried looking wife. Water was coming through the ceiling and walls on the ground floor. Turned out to be a leak in our boiler which is on the 1st floor. Plasterboard should recover and the leak is isolated. New part required so we're without hot water until next Friday. I'm also probably in for £6-700 to repair it! Sod's law I cancelled the boiler cover in December.

Sorry to see this. I will say that the same happened in another neighborhood to someone that quit the Restraint. "Restraint Karma" is a real thing and is starting to scare me.......

This was obviously in jest...

Last edited:
11/03/2023

View attachment 102194

One thing after another ah.
Why do boilers never break down in the summer.

SOTD: 12th March 2023.

6.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
Brush: Fine 24mm Synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: Nivea Men Originals shave cream.
Razor: Muhle R41. (2013) - Derby premium. (D2)

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse/Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. /4711 ASL-Cologne. / Cien Men Sensitive ASB.

Greetings,

A relaxing Sunday morning shave.

The Nivea Men Originals shave cream never fails to provide me with a super protective slick lather leaving a good post shave feel. Superb stuff!

A comfortable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Cien Men Sensitive ASB.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

12/03/23
Pre - Pears Transparent Original
Brush - AP400 Slim Synbad 22mm
Soap - OSP Spirits
Razor - Blutt BR1 - 0.86
Blade - Kai DE Stainless
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Cedarwood Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Pinaud Gents Gin
Wk 11 (2).JPG
The Blutt / Kai pairing is a match made in heaven for me, so smooth and efficient.
I am feeling clean and fresh and ready for the gym and my Sunday morning session.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Back
Top Bottom