Steve's Barbershop Bay Rum

Just read a shave of the day post from ChopperHarris mentioning Steve's Bay Rum. Is this still available and where can I get a bottle of this fabled Bay Rum from?
Thanks for taking the time to reading this .

Steve's had a number of personal issues and is no longer able to make his fabled potion. It's a great pity but the poor man must be hard pressed indeed. He is one of the nicest fellas on here and I wish him nothing but the best. I'm down to the last few drops of what is the finest aftershave I've ever used both in performance and scent.

If you're reading this, Steve, best wishes old son - you're held in the highest esteem by many (despite the Jewel blades debacle....:angel:).

Gairdner said:
Steve's had a number of personal issues and is no longer able to make his fabled potion. It's a great pity but the poor man must be hard pressed indeed. He is one of the nicest fellas on here and I wish him nothing but the best. I'm down to the last few drops of what is the finest aftershave I've ever used both in performance and scent.

If you're reading this, Steve, best wishes old son - you're held in the highest esteem by many (despite the Jewel blades debacle....:angel:).

Thanks for the information Graeme. Very sad to hear about Steve.
I too send my best wishes Steve if you are reading this and I'm sorry I'll never to get to try your fabled Bay Rum potion.
Regards, Dave.

Occams Razor said:
Gairdner said:
Steve's had a number of personal issues and is no longer able to make his fabled potion.

Thanks for the information Graeme. I'm sorry I'll never to get to try your fabled Bay Rum potion.
Regards, Dave.

Well jeez, it's not like he's dead. Matter of fact he posted a few times not that long ago. Big G, are you talking about the transgender issues? I think 'Steve' had finally flipped a coin on that but I can't remember which gender won.

Dave, you might look at Krampert's Bay Rum AS and soap. They are pretty close to the Limey concoction sniff wise.

Martin

Hah, maybe this will get Steve posting and bootlegging once again.

Hopefully this is all part of Steve's masterplan to return with a one-off, limited run at £85 per bottle. If it can work for MdC soaps - surely it can work for the Bay Rum?!

It is great stuff and it will be missed when gone - my wife has said several times that she wishes it was a liqueur as it smells good enough to drink! But I think that's part of the appeal of the artisan products - no guarantees that they'll be around forever so enjoy them while you can!

If you can get a hold of Layrite No.9 bay rum on ebay or via The Gentleman's Groom Room in Dundee, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Cyril of Hairsuite fame very kindly gifted me a bottle (what a felly!) and I enjoyed it immensely. Very close, sniff wise and a good performer if a little more potent in the alcohol department. You should manage to get it for less than £15 delivered. Not tried Krampert's but have heard good things and yon Yankee enablemeister knows his onions.

Aye, he's no deid, I'm hopin'.....;)

Transgender issues aside, he's a braw felly/wumman......:angel:

Gairdner said:
If you can get a hold of Layrite No.9 bay rum on ebay or via The Gentleman's Groom Room in Dundee, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Cyril of Hairsuite fame very kindly gifted me a bottle (what a felly!) and I enjoyed it immensely. Very close, sniff wise and a good performer if a little more potent in the alcohol department. You should manage to get it for less than £15 delivered. Not tried Krampert's but have heard good things and yon Yankee enablemeister knows his onions.

Aye, he's no deid, I'm hopin'.....;)

Yes I've got a bottle of layrite No 9 from Ian really like the stuff so wanted to try some more Bay Rum's... Guess I've now got Bay Rum fever! Meet Cyril at the Groom Room meet a few weeks ago great guy and very helpful. Hopefully will meet for a coffee with the Tayside Posse in the near future.
Thanks Graeme :)

Occams Razor said:
Hi dodgy,
I've been looking for a stockist of Krampert's Bay Rum products in the UK but not having much luck unfortunately.

None in the UK or even Europe ... Italian Barber is the recommended reseller (recommended by Brian, who makes the stuff). Grab his Frostbite, too ... and soaps, both of 'em :D

Gairdner said:

Hah, I was gonna type he/she in my previous post, but you said it better.

Here, look at what your damned Formby intro has done to me. Thanks a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdd_Coz021Q

I also wish you all the best Steve, i was fortunate enough to try his fabled Bay Rum thanks to Carl, i was then running low and wanted more but sadly could not find any, i've tried a few others and ended up with Krampert's, it is good and i like it very much.

782sirbrian said:
I bought the Kramperts recently from Italian Barber.
Not tried it yet but it was easy to order $14.99 for the Bay Rum and $9.99 shipping $24.98 about £16.70 or near that if I remember.
No problem with customs.

Thank you Sir Brian :icon_razz:
I will give Italian Barber a try. I thought customs might have been a problem, good to know you had none.

Just looked at the Krampert website. In both the Bay Rum and The Frost Bite descriptions it stresses that after an hour much/most of the scent will be gone...it goes on, however, to describe the other admirable qualities inherent in the design of the product, which is great.

Now I know nothing. That much is established, so bear that in mind.

But I have a sample of Mikes Bay Rum (in shaving soap form) and love the smell. I see the Bay Rum name cropping up in many shaving related areas.

So the question is...what have I been missing all this time and what, now, to try out?

The problem is though :-

I'm happy to have Bay Rum flavoured soap because I know that whatever the smell of the soap - ANY SOAP - however good it is - it'll be gone by the time I've got downstairs. Any after shave or cologne or essential oil mix I ever use lasts a while, but after an hour it's gone....no matter what it is...I've tried a few over the years and for example I currently have Aramis EDT, Kouros EDT, Arran Aromatics Driftwood EDT, Aqua de Colonia Concentrada Natural Cologne. Murray and Lanman Cologne...........and, nice as they are, the aromatic enhancement they offer are all gone after an hour or so. Three hours is an absolute max...usually a lot less. Maybe they aren't expensive enough? Maybe if you pay £100 you get to smell better for longer?

So the Krampert doesn't sound suitable (for me) if it makes a particular point of not lasting for long.

I'd like one that keeps it's pong for a bit longer. Is there such a thing? Especially in Bay Rum as I'd really like to try it.

Thanks.

It's more that you get used to the scent and zone it out ...

Apply any that you think doesn't last before bed, sleep and the scent will be very much present when you wake - you won't have consciously zoned it out and when you wake, your senses are fresh. Bay Rum, too.

Back
Top Bottom