Steve's Barbershop Bay Rum

Not bay rum, but pinaud clubman, hai karate, mazula vetiver are 3 i have and they last most of the day on me, also Quorum, all nice and cheap under a tenner or less.

Quick replies...thanks both.

I have done what you suggest, Paul. I really have. Honest Guvnor. And it isn't there in the morning. Once or twice I've woken up in the middle of the night coz the cat was scratching the carpet and the Mrs refused to get up and let it out, and I thought I might have got the vaquest hint of a suggestion of a whiff, but never first thing in the morning.

Is there something wrong with my epidermis, Paul? ... be honest !

I was going to get that Quorum as it was a ridiculous £4...but you buggers beat me to it and it sold out. But if you're offering me a money back cast iron guarantee of it's efficacy, then I'll seek some out.

The Pinaud Clubman was in my sights before I posted this enquiry so I'll, again, investigate providing you to offer, in writing, to refund my costs, with interest and admin fees on top. Any dissatisfaction and I'll be forced to send the boys round.

But thanks

Most of the Pinaud Clubman seems to be in the US, obviously enough, I suppose. Can I ask what you have and/or where it came from RT?

Here is a Pinaud Clubman - in Bay Rum flavour from ES.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IW7F00/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GCSCSE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0PSXGDCEZRH7KNGWBK06

pjgh said:
Your skin or your nose ... one or t'other :D

You'll have to get yourself a little pocket atomiser and refresh the scent as you go ...

Fair point, Paul...but the annoying thing is, I do have a good sense of smell. My eyesight is shot, my hearing isn't great and most of the other functions are below par....but the olfactory organ works a treat. Yes, you're right I need to employ a lacky to follow me round and spray me with Bay Rum unguents and essences.

Bay Rums? I have my own, Pinaud Clubman VIBR, Krampert's & Sea Drift Soaps. Pinaud Clubman VIBR can be had from Sally's, certainly in Bradford. Sea Drift Soaps is on Etsy, not a long lived scent though. Krampert's from Italian Barber. I've also tried Boots Bay Rum (a hair tonic, but fine as an aftershave ... Boots, naturally) and Benjamins (Amazon).

dodgy said:
Gairdner said:
Transgender issues aside, he's a braw felly/wumman......:angel:

Hah, I was gonna type he/she in my previous post, but you said it better.

Here, look at what your damned Formby intro has done to me. Thanks a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdd_Coz021Q

Aw shucks, Marv! Quite enjoyed that, thankee.

Here's a cure for politicians:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidL6i73cXQ[/video]

Funny story is my very good lady friend, Veronica, got herself a black Lab pup last year and named him Levi so's I gots him a monkey toy. Anytime we speak, I ask how Levi's Monkey Mike is getting on. Bitten, chewed and decapitated last count....:-/

Annnnddd back to Bay Rum....:angel::blush:

Thanks fellas...at least I know a bit more than I did an hour ago.

Have also found and digested this :-

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=29307

Aye, that's a good thread DS. Just gone and slapped down a whole three quid for some of yon horribly expensive Benjamins. I read that it's clovey which is good as I like a bit of clove.

pjgh said:
Likewise :D

... I went for the Pimento, which I've not tried, and noticed the other two were selling for a massive one whole quid (plus postage, £1.80), so I bagged all three.

That's just being flash....:p:angel:

DevonStan said:
Just looked at the Krampert website. In both the Bay Rum and The Frost Bite descriptions it stresses that after an hour much/most of the scent will be gone...

So the question is...what have I been missing all this time and what, now, to try out?

I'm happy to have Bay Rum flavoured soap because I know that whatever the smell of the soap - ANY SOAP - however good it is - it'll be gone by the time I've got downstairs. Any after shave or cologne or essential oil mix I ever use lasts a while, but after an hour it's gone....no matter what it is...I've tried a few over the years and for example I currently have Aramis EDT, Kouros EDT, Arran Aromatics Driftwood EDT, Aqua de Colonia Concentrada Natural Cologne. Murray and Lanman Cologne...........and, nice as they are, the aromatic enhancement they offer are all gone after an hour or so. Three hours is an absolute max...usually a lot less. Maybe they aren't expensive enough? Maybe if you pay £100 you get to smell better for longer?

So the Krampert doesn't sound suitable (for me) if it makes a particular point of not lasting for long.

I'd like one that keeps it's pong for a bit longer. Is there such a thing? Especially in Bay Rum as I'd really like to try it.

Thanks.

Ok, maybe the way I see things regarding aftershaves/balms will help with some answers.

First of all, I dont plan my day's fragrance around the scent of what aftershave or balm is being used. Those things are built around skin care rather than how they smell. Oh I know some may have a good scent, but that's not the major selling point usually.

No, the frag I want to be associated with for the day is made for just that one reason and should last for a bunch of hours, ideally at least. Normally an EdT strength kinda thing can easily linger for 6-8 hours, and some much longer. Truthfully, these concoctions are usually lots classier smelling than most of the aftershaves I have sniffed. Also, the selection to choose from is amazing.

So, what you use to sooth or close the pores or whatever it is probably NOT gonna smell what you want to smell like for the whole day. You don't want that intruding on the more important daily choice.....no conflict is best. In my case most skin care things are unscented or very lightly. Plus, the scent goes away quickly, whatever it is. Heh yeah, that's a good thing.

Steve's mix has some nice pop but is gone in a short time. Smells great but it doesn't last, which is one reason I like it. Bay rum smells good but not something for daily wear very often. Some days though I will use this as a cologne splash, just because I love it.

Some fragrances use better ingredients than others and some last many hours longer. They can be a bit expensive but many times you do get what you pay for. If you get a chance to sniff something by Tom Ford for example among others, it would be interesting for you to see what is out there. Stop at a nice store sometime for a small snortfest! Yeah, tell the store fragrance counter Associate helping you out that you came by to 'huff all the good stuff'.

Anyway, just something to think about,

Martin

Ohhh, sadly, the bay rum EO is one that just doesn't last very long. Same thing is true of lime. They just kinda fade fast. None of a bunch of bay rum EdTs I've tried stuck around more than 3-4 hours tops. Of course anything using a FO is up for grabs.

DevonStan said:
Most of the Pinaud Clubman seems to be in the US, obviously enough, I suppose. Can I ask what you have and/or where it came from RT?

Here is a Pinaud Clubman - in Bay Rum flavour from ES.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IW7F00/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GCSCSE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0PSXGDCEZRH7KNGWBK06

pjgh said:
Your skin or your nose ... one or t'other :D

You'll have to get yourself a little pocket atomiser and refresh the scent as you go ...

Fair point, Paul...but the annoying thing is, I do have a good sense of smell. My eyesight is shot, my hearing isn't great and most of the other functions are below par....but the olfactory organ works a treat. Yes, you're right I need to employ a lacky to follow me round and spray me with Bay Rum unguents and essences.

Stan, got my clubman off a member on here, but just got some clubman special reserve which is very nice. Also bagged some pinaud musk off ebay, not that musky though. If you go on Amazon where i got my special reserve, you can get the normal clubman for about £10 delivered from the US. I was worried in case customs nabbed it as they cant send AS via air mail, but it got through after about 3 weeks from ordering. This is where i got it from:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00132FV8U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Very many thanks for helpful replies.

Not that it matters to me but opinions that I see posted on the net often refer to a classic old fashioned barber shop smell..that sounds OK...but I don't happen to like the smell or taste of cloves or almond so it could be I'm on a hiding to nothing here as they get lots of mentions too.

I readily accept the advice re. distinguishing between the categories that dodgy speaks about, and thanks for that.

I can't see VIBR at Sallys but can see several Pashana items.

I can see this ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00132FV8U/&tag=shavroom-21 thanks to Paul

and can see this as well ....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261800836846?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Both for a tenner delivered.

I don't think they will solve the issue of smellies not lasting very long on me but they might well be nice.

Appreciate the advice received.

Dont often see it on the bay from UK, good price too. Forgot about Pashana, excellent if you like the old school scent, long lasting and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom