The new Feather AS-D2 is here

Re: RE: The new Feather AS-D2 is here

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well IMO the old one still is the most beautifully made DE razor, and If I know the Japanese and the makers of the Feather AS - D1 they have probably read every post or thread regarding their own razor, so I'm expecting them to make the next one more suited to the western beard type, but we shall have to wait and see?

Jamie

You could well be right. iKon have certainly taken on board all the comments about their razors being a bit on the mild side. I tried the new Standard head this morning and that is truly aggressive, similar in aggression to the R41, so that is a big step up compared to previous razors they have made.

never tried one....dont want too...disappointed with an ikon...very very diappointed with weber...ill still with merkur

Canuck said:
I didn't know there was a western beard type.

What I'm getting at is this, I'm sure it's far easier to remove Japanese Chinese and Indonesian facial hair than the tougher more dense looking western European male beard, now Chinese or Japanese Men seem to have a very weak looking growth, so a DE that is seen as a great shaver among those group of people would have to be somewhat different for most European Men.

Jamie

chrisbell said:
Canuck said:
I didn't know there was a western beard type.

Isn't it a general principle that oriental facial hair tends to be lighter and less dense than Caucasian?

If that is the case, it is interesting that Feather blades and Kamisori are so sharp.

Ian

With the Feather I've never heard anyone say there's anything wrong with the sharpness, it's purely down to the ergonomics and technique, so there lie's the difference, the Feather RG and SS use the same blade both shave differently? You can put a seriously sharp blade in a mild razor, but it still a mild shaver, now you can put a not so sharp blade in a aggressive razor and it's still an aggressive shaver, I don't see the connection between sharp blades it's the head design and blade clearance that changes the shaving performance of the razor the blade is your choice.

Jamie

Now the Turkish beard, that's some beastie. Every proper Turkish Kebab shop I've been in has at least two or three chaps for whom the word, 'swarthy' seems to have been invented. Lucky gits!

Yes the RG and SS shave differently, the SS is supposed to be easier because of the rounded lip, it will probably prevent nicks for someone who never used this kind of razor before but I prefer the older models (RG and DX) because they give me much better results.

I never bought the first version of the Feather DE because so many people said it was far to mild and it's to expensive to experiment. Was looking forward to the newer version but I'll wait until I have read a lot more about people's experiences.

So it seems the As-D2 , like its predecessor, is made for the Japanese market - as you'd expect.The packaging of these beautiful razors tells us they are aimed at the home market. I wonder how large that market is what with kamisoris and their modern Feather and Kai equivalents as well as umpteen cartridge razors. Let's say a population of 129,000,000 (it's a bit less) all told and a third each men, women and children (I have no idea) we have 43,000,000 men. They could keep a couple of Feather facoties busy for a while!

I think I'm going to sit this one out.

Back
Top Bottom