The Shaving Restraint (TSR) 2023

I did exactly the same as the OP. Spent a Kings Ransom on everything shave related. Had enough stuff to shave a small town and just kept spending and spending. Do you know what fuelled my spending? SOTD pictures. I was desperate to feel part of the Shaving community, a Big fish in a small pond, someone people would take notice of in my posts.
I put the brakes on a long time ago when I realised what was the point of being that person it won't get you anywhere. it costs money. It is just scraping hair off my face, it grows back as quickly as I take it off. No one bloody cares!
I sold all my gear, kept the brushes that were worth nothing to anyone but me, still have too many and too many other things. I started using the Leaf?Twig combo virtually exclusively and am now happy just scraping away.
Can't see me getting back on the Horse again. I did have mini relapse a while ago, thought I was missing out, I wasn't, so sold it all again and went back to the Leaf and the Twig.

I did exactly the same as the OP. Spent a Kings Ransom on everything shave related. Had enough stuff to shave a small town and just kept spending and spending. Do you know what fuelled my spending? SOTD pictures. I was desperate to feel part of the Shaving community, a Big fish in a small pond, someone people would take notice of in my posts.
I put the brakes on a long time ago when I realised what was the point of being that person it won't get you anywhere. it costs money. It is just scraping hair off my face, it grows back as quickly as I take it off. No one bloody cares!
I sold all my gear, kept the brushes that were worth nothing to anyone but me, still have too many and too many other things. I started using the Leaf?Twig combo virtually exclusively and am now happy just scraping away.
Can't see me getting back on the Horse again. I did have mini relapse a while ago, thought I was missing out, I wasn't, so sold it all again and went back to the Leaf and the Twig.
I agree with you to a certain extent.
Yes everything adds up and it can end up a costly affair indeed.
Yes SOTD's are great enablers for future purchases but should not be seen as pressure to post new gear all the time.
There are a few constant SOTD posters with pretty much the same setup all the time. (me included)
I went through a similar phase and now not only made no purchases this year but sold all but one razor Muhle R89 Hexagon, which will always be the star of the SOTD show:cool:
And I feel part of this great shaving community no less than others with multiple razors.
Kudos to you (y) for managing to keep it restrained, it's a great feeling.

Last edited:
Over the last thirty days I've made only one purchase, a bottle of Goya Corvette aftershave, which is one of my favourites.
When I moved out of my home last month I realised how much in volume that shaving stuff takes up. I'm not yet moved into my new place yet and dreading getting all my stuff out of storage, and seems crazy that probably 30% of my possessions is shaving or toiletry stuff!

Over the last thirty days I've made only one purchase, a bottle of Goya Corvette aftershave, which is one of my favourites.
When I moved out of my home last month I realised how much in volume that shaving stuff takes up. I'm not yet moved into my new place yet and dreading getting all my stuff out of storage, and seems crazy that probably 30% of my possessions is shaving or toiletry stuff!

When I look at my various interests I sometimes question whether I am a collector or a hoarder. I'm drifting more and more towards the latter...

I am nearer a collector than a hoarder but there are certain things I do hoard rather than collect. I usually have at any one time too many tinned foods, pens and carrier bags!

Shortly there'll only be a month left of this year and managed to do quite well with this restraint.
I made couple of BST purchases in the last weeks but one was to replenish my DE blade stock which was getting in the 10s and not 100s :) and the other to get a razor head for my wooden handle made by @gile as part of the 2023 LE Shaving Brush purchase, which by the way I haven't used yet (inaugural shave in 2024)
I have to be completely honest and say that having the same setup every time initially lead to boredom and somewhat detracted from the pleasure of shaving. However changing the focus from gear & software to technique is what made it still exciting to me. Every shave seen as an opportunity to hone those skills.
I don't think I'll be going on a mad shave related spending spree in 2024 but will definitely be looking into trying a few new things.

I compensated for six or seven years of abstinence by overdoing it a bit in 2023.
I have obtained some lovely stuff; some to be used an enjoyed, some to be kept for an indefinite period either to be a 'museum piece' or to try out on a rainy day.
Only a couple of disappointing purchases out of a couple of dozen (estimated).
Will need to do an abstinent year for 2024 as some important life plans should be coming together, plus I want to really appreciate what I already have

My wife buys me a new can of shaving foam or packet of blades as and when they run out. I just stick them on her shopping list.

When I snuff it, I don't won't anyone having to go through my things thinking "this bloke was clearly a nutter" before lobbing everything in the skip.
when I snuff it I don't a give damn what people will think of me:eek:

Back
Top Bottom