Thoughts on Aeropress

I have been using the Aeropress now for four months after switching from a french press. I think it produces a great cup of coffee using the inverted brew method when as usual you get the water/coffee ratio's correct for you own liking. The Aeropress produces a puck that is easily discarded and the parts cleaned under running water; another point is the parts are very durable and the press is cheap to purchase, all-in-all I am impressed! :icon_razz:

Me too.

Got mine fairly recently and I can get a great strong shot from it. Love how easy it is to clean up afterwards.

Just got myself a v60 this weekend too so the journey continues!

Admittedly, I am an espresso enthusiast - and the Aeropress is incapable of producing a 'true' espresso (principally because this would require much more brewing pressure than the Aeropress is capable of producing). That being said, the Aeropress produces an excellent cup of coffee!
I use the inverted brewing method as well and have refined my recipe to make a strong cup that suits my taste. IMO, the best thing about is that you can experiment with a potentially infinite number of brewing recipes until you find 'the one' for you. Also, as mentioned, the cleanup is a breeze.
Still looking for an affordable second hand Gaggia to quench my espresso cravings though! Ha

Hello all,

I must echo the above sentiments.

As a french press alternative, it works very well.

It can also produce a nice 'shot' of (not quite)espresso.

I wish my moka pot was as convenient (although I love it).

Cheers,

Stu

If you like the Aeropress you might want to try using a permanent disk filter like this link.

I got one a while ago and it does give a different taste. People say it they can taste the paper filter (I can't) and the metal filter allows the oils to pass through.
I think it does improve the taste and non probs about running out of paper filters. You need to apply more pressure with the metal filter and cleaning up is slightly messier but no bad. I went for the "fine" filter and there was a regular filter too when I last bought.

Have an Aeropress. Used it almost everyday. Like it.
Looked at the reusable filters. Costly and as I just 'pop' the used pressed coffee into the bin I have to be picking it out of there to reuse(;-(

I use mine at home occasionally, but in the main I use it when travelling. It is in fact packed with 500g of beans and my Hario ready for 10 days in the sun.
Day to day,when at home I prefer espresso from my Cherub.

Wazzer3 said:
As an aside to above anybody got the Kickstarter Kaffeolgie Filter? What do they think of it compered say with the Able filter? Cheers.

+1

I have heard a lot of reviews about the Able disk (most of them favourable) but none about the Kaffeologie filter. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm considering investing in an Able disk, but am undecided on whether to go for the standard or fine version. Intuitively, I would assume that the fine produces a cleaner cup whereas the standard gives the cup more body - is it so?

I haven't tried any of the permanent filters yet, but was considering a Kaffeologie once my current batch of paper filters runs out. However, I think that's more from the perspective of someone who can't resist a gadget, rather than because of any dissatisfaction with the paper ones.

Also - I use it at work with whichever pack of coffee is currently cheapest at the local co-op, so I think I could probably get a bigger improvement by choosing classier coffee :)

Well for the price, I may have to buy an Aeropress if it is that good a coffee maker.
Won't be grinding my own beans, so which type of pre ground coffee should be used, that can be bought from a supermarket to start with?

mand said:
Well for the price, I may have to buy an Aeropress if it is that good a coffee maker.
Won't be grinding my own beans, so which type of pre ground coffee should be used, that can be bought from a supermarket to start with?

Find a local roaster (they're springing up everywhere) and have it espresso grind, you can go a little coarser if you want. Using a local roaster usually means you will be getting freshly roasted coffee and the opportunity to try different blends/single origin. Some great online outlets as well, my personal favourite is York Coffee Emporium and I'm sure others members will tell you about theirs.

Ex world barista champ Gwylim Davies gives a good demonstration here Aeropress Demo

I invert mine as I tend to get less mess.

Enjoy

mand said:

I currently use Illy coffee which is uniform in it's quality and available from Morrison's, another are Starbucks from Asda. Right I'm off to brew up!:icon_razz:

Have used mine on a daily basis for a couple of years now - excellent coffee. Being a cheapskate, I also peel off the filter paper from the "puck" if I'm making more than one cup at a time too.

Whitefiver said:
Have used mine on a daily basis for a couple of years now - excellent coffee. Being a cheapskate, I also peel off the filter paper from the "puck" if I'm making more than one cup at a time too.

Not a fellow thrifty Northerner like me with a make or mend, do without philosophy?! :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom