Thoughts on Aeropress

Close, I'm a bit farther South than you, but philosophy is about right! You could add in "save for it if you want it", but BST here has done some damage to that!
Wazzer3 said:
Whitefiver said:
Have used mine on a daily basis for a couple of years now - excellent coffee. Being a cheapskate, I also peel off the filter paper from the "puck" if I'm making more than one cup at a time too.

Not a fellow thrifty Northerner like me with a make or mend, do without philosophy?! :icon_rolleyes:

'Whitefiver'
Close, I'm a bit farther South than you, but philosophy is about right! You could add in "save for it if you want it", but BST here has done some damage to that!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't include save due to spending about £230 in the short time I have been a member of this forum, your just a bunch of enablers!:D

Re: RE: Thoughts on Aeropress

Wazzer3 said:
I currently use Illy coffee which is uniform in it's quality and available from Morrison's, another are Starbucks from Asda. Right I'm off to brew up!:icon_razz:

Uniformly awful

Both are immersion methods but the aeropress also uses a bit of pressure at the end. The aeropress paper filters remove a lot of the sediment you typically get in a French press so you get slightly less body but a clearer flavour.

Jeebsy said:
Both are immersion methods but the aeropress also uses a bit of pressure at the end. The aeropress paper filters remove a lot of the sediment you typically get in a French press so you get slightly less body but a clearer flavour.

ah! ok, I was explaining it as a possible purchase and he pointed at his cafetiere.

not knowing anything about coffee i didn't really know what to say.

Is it possible to get a pint out of one go? and is it possible to buy decaf beans?

I drink a pint of strong un black instant first thing in the morning, but then switch to decaf as I'm sensitive to caffeine.

Max capacity is about 250, you could make a really strong brew and dilute it down though. Does it have to be a pint of coffee you drink? Would one tasty mug not suffice? You can get decaf yeah but they generally don't taste great brewed.

Jeebsy said:
Max capacity is about 250, you could make a really strong brew and dilute it down though. Does it have to be a pint of coffee you drink? Would one tasty mug not suffice? You can get decaf yeah but they generally don't taste great brewed.

I dont suppose it needs to be a pint but the time taken to drink it
is what I need to decide that I should go to work rather than back to bed.
If I'd not given up smoking, it was also the time it took to smoke two
cigarettes which had the same galvanizing effect.

Its probably the coffee later in the day that I would be more interested
in improving, but if decaf beans aren't much cop I think its best to stick
with the instant.

Thanks Jeebsy, its been an interesting thread to read.

You can get decaff beans but, as Jeebsy said, they don't always taste that good.

I've found decaff beans at Booths, Waitrose are pretty good and sometimes on offer at good prices. I found the decaff at Costco (Starbucks) was pretty bad.
I've bought decaff from Coffee Real and they taste really good but more expensive.

I sometimes use an Aeropress (usually use a Bean-to-Cup machine) and make the usual shot of coffee but make it up to a mug full with hot water - Americano style. Tastes strong enough for me.

When you get used to proper coffee it's difficult to go back to instant as you realise just how rubbish it is.

I'd suggest reducing your coffee volume, a pint of it can't be good for you. I used to drink maybe 8 mugs a day caffeinated but now am totally decaff and drink teas etc instead sometimes. Caffeine gets pretty addictive and I couldn't see the point of it if it makes you feel tired by not drinking it.

Cheers - off to have a cuppa..

ChopperHarris said:
I haven't tried any of the permanent filters yet, but was considering a Kaffeologie once my current batch of paper filters runs out. However, I think that's more from the perspective of someone who can't resist a gadget, rather than because of any dissatisfaction with the paper ones.

Also - I use it at work with whichever pack of coffee is currently cheapest at the local co-op, so I think I could probably get a bigger improvement by choosing classier coffee :)
I got the Kaffeologie S-filter yesterday and have to say it's an improvement flavourwise and very easy to clean too.

Also just to reiterate Jeebsy's sentiments - seriously, get some fresh beans from one of a huge variety of UK roasters at pretty much the same price as mass-produced charcoal from Starbucks et al and give your tastebuds the respect they deserve. Rave, Smokey Barn, Coffee Compass, HasBean, Londinium etc to name but a few will shit all over Lavazza any day of the week.

The thing is, I use my Aeropress at work as a means to knock the spots off the instant coffee and soapy whitener that you get from the vending machines. Even with Co-op own brand ground coffee, it's much better!

Sadly, I'm not going to be in a position to use a grinder at work but maybe I'll treat myself to a freshly ground bag next time I pass Rosie and Java in Richmond.

Got my Aeropress yesterday.
First attempt, forgot to pre warm things so coffee was luke warm.
Just made another using inverted method. Pre warmed everything and it was delicious.
Next step - get decent coffee and experiment with brew ratios, steep times, dilution etc.

michaelg said:
ChopperHarris said:
I haven't tried any of the permanent filters yet, but was considering a Kaffeologie once my current batch of paper filters runs out. However, I think that's more from the perspective of someone who can't resist a gadget, rather than because of any dissatisfaction with the paper ones.

Also - I use it at work with whichever pack of coffee is currently cheapest at the local co-op, so I think I could probably get a bigger improvement by choosing classier coffee :)
I got the Kaffeologie S-filter yesterday and have to say it's an improvement flavourwise and very easy to clean too.

Also just to reiterate Jeebsy's sentiments - seriously, get some fresh beans from one of a huge variety of UK roasters at pretty much the same price as mass-produced charcoal from Starbucks et al and give your tastebuds the respect they deserve. Rave, Smokey Barn, Coffee Compass, HasBean, Londinium etc to name but a few will shit all over Lavazza any day of the week.

Can you tell me were you sourced the filter & its cost? Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom