time to start seen all the hype cant resist

Well done Nishy. As said before, BBS takes time. I've been at it for 5 months now, and can't honestly say I've attained it yet. But, I get consistently damn fine shaves, and I'm happy with that. BBS will come with time for us both.

I leave the blade in my razor, and when it's time to change the blade, usually after 3 shaves I thien give the razor a good clean. The razor just gets a quick rinse under the tap normally after a shave.

As for soaps vs. creams, that seems to be personal preference. I don't find either performs any better than the other for me.

Thanks Chris, yes everyone's opinion is valued, knowledge is power! Interesting that in your opinion the blade type is predominant. I will slowly work through the blades and thus decide on which is best.

With regards to the soap loading, I do wet the soap and brush before hand with warm water (soft water), swirl for approx a minute then have both face and bowl lathered. I also ensure I use either a boar or boar-badger mixed brush. I find I do get a good cushioned lather with most soaps.

I'm starting to think that perhaps I'm putting too much of a layer of lather on my face. I don't get too crazy, as the contact of blade to skin without clogging is vital, as is the measure of not putting to little to avoid irritation.

With regards to the BBS shave like all your advice and others I will just let it happen and then analyse the crap out of the experience to replicate it again!

Leslie145 said:
Great to hear of a successful 1st DE, Nishi, nice one!

Don't worry about taking out the blade afterward though, as you will need to change the blade every 3/4 shaves anyway (I found this out to my cost) & if you shave everyday there's no way you'll get rust.

Cheers Leslie, p.s walked past body shop this Arvo had to avert my eyes!

SmallBeard said:
Well done Nishy. As said before, BBS takes time. I've been at it for 5 months now, and can't honestly say I've attained it yet. But, I get consistently damn fine shaves, and I'm happy with that. BBS will come with time for us both.

At least it's an enjoyable experience each time till its achieved :)

Lose the beard said:
I leave the blade in my razor, and when it's time to change the blade, usually after 3 shaves I thien give the razor a good clean. The razor just gets a quick rinse under the tap normally after a shave.

As for soaps vs. creams, that seems to be personal preference. I don't find either performs any better than the other for me.

Thanks lose the beard once again, which blade would you suggest I try next? I found the Astra to cut through my fairly soft stubble well

I agree with what chrisbell says about creams vs soaps... I tend to use soaps now, because it's more fun working up a lather.

I also agree with what he says about the BBS shaves. I've been getting much better shaves since I aimed at slightly less than perfection. Going for too smooth can lead to excessive scraping and touch-ups

Lose the beard said:

Thanks lose the beard once again, which blade would you suggest I try next? I found the Astra to cut through my fairly soft stubble well

Perhaps a slight tug against the hair in some spots

chrisbell said:
Nishy said:
Thanks lose the beard may I ask, I find using a hard soap, though less cushion, provides a closer shave with a fusion is this the general case with a DE as well? Also I completely removed the blade after shaving and put it back in its paper packet is this totally unnecessary to avoid rust if I shave 4 times a week?

I know the question was addressed to Steve, but, if you're interested in other peoples' opinions, I'd say that I don't notice any difference in closeness of shave between soaps and creams - for me the razor/blade combination is noticeable and has masked any difference there may have been to the point where I haven't perceived it. IME, the main difference is that creams tend to lather slightly quicker and slightly more voluminously, but, if anything, the lather can be denser and have better lubrication than many creams, though there are plenty of exceptions to this and differences in the exact amount of water added and how long you work the lather seem to outweigh much of that soap vs. cream divide.

It may be that you're not loading the brush quite as heavily from a hard soap puck as you could be, and so the lather is going on in a slightly thinner layer than with creams, though that's purely a guess on my part. Depending on your water quality, I'd suggest loading the brush for a good 30 seconds, perhaps up to a minute in hard water conditions, and softening the surface of the puck with a teaspoon or so of water beforehand.

As for the elusive BBS, trying to attain it usually leads to bad habits and the resultant irritation/ingrowns/weepers. It seems to come without trying once your technique develops sufficiently, but, even then, it more than likely won't happen every shave.

Sorry another quickie Chris, when I load my proraso brush, I don't get a lot of soap on the tops of the brush mainly through the bristle is this due to the high loft or lack of loading time? I do swirl both directions and pump seems to create a lather in the soap dish as opposed to loading the brush tips, especially with MWF

You've asked about blades & to be honest I've only used the one brand so far, the ones which came with my DE tryout - Feather. A lot of people here & on B&B say these aren't advised for DE newbies like us, but I've had no problem at all

Nishy said:
Sorry another quickie Chris, when I load my proraso brush, I don't get a lot of soap on the tops of the brush mainly through the bristle is this due to the high loft or lack of loading time? I do swirl both directions and pump seems to create a lather in the soap dish as opposed to loading the brush tips, especially with MWF

Sorry, can't help you with that one - my experience with boar brushes is limited to a Semogue I bought second-hand and sold a few months later. I never really got the hang of it and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. My preferred hard soap brush is a dense, low loft two-band type - a New Forest Tubby 2 is my usual weapon, along with a 2-band fan knot from The Golden Nib which was set in a Vulfix Grosvenor handle by Bill Jack (le Tuft brushes and "beejay" here on TSR). Both do the job very nicely.

Another fan of the tubby 2

I very impressed with the speed of the turn around. 11 days from i'll stick to cartridge to all the love and excitment of full blown DE shaving.
That is nice to see. I've had a cou[ple of my friends that didnt see what all the fuss was about until they tried it, and now wouldnt touch a cartridge again.
I'm glad its going well. Slow and easy does it gets you to the BBS grail.

Full blown may be pushing it a bit far I still have my trusty cartridge I won't be sending it to the dust pile, as I still get cheap cartridges. However, one cannot deny the lure of the DE and that it is my new go to being a more comfortable shave

Me too - the trusty M3 will not go as it's great if I don't have the time for DE but still want a great result (the one I've got sits on a really nice EJ nickle plated handle, too), but I do seriously like DE... to the extent that I'm currently in contact with another member here about a 3rd quarter 1963 (I3) Gillette Slim adjustable (manufactured as I was being born).

interesting i am very happy with my EJ89 perhaps should have got the chrome alone instead of the chrome lined, but the latter looks original which I like. I am now not niave to say its the only DE razor i will buy but for now (hopefully more than 10 days) it will suffice

Nishy said:
interesting i am very happy with my EJ89 perhaps should have got the chrome alone instead of the chrome lined, but the latter looks original which I like. I am now not niave to say its the only DE razor i will buy but for now (hopefully more than 10 days) it will suffice

Look at the Barley, it's gorgeous....

Back
Top Bottom