UK meteorology

Weather warning for Wednesday and Thursday issued by the Met Office:

Cold and blustery westerly winds are expected to bring heavy and frequent wintry showers across northern and western Scotland on Wednesday and Thursday. Gales are likely at times along the west coast and the Northern Isles with winds gusting to around 55 mph. The strongest of the winds should ease later on Thursday.

Frequent lightning may be an additional hazard across the Northern and Western Isles and the west coast in particular with the potential for disruption to power supplies.

Upland areas are expected to see some appreciable snowfalls with accumulations of 5 to 10 cm possible on higher routes across the western and central Highlands. Some slushy accumulations are also possible at lower elevations at times. Ice is likely to form on untreated surfaces on Wednesday night into Thursday morning,

Friday's storm has officially been named as Barbara, and is likely to affect the far north and northwest (particularly the Western and Northern Isles), where gusts could be in the 80-90 mph range. Meanwhile, the Christmas Day storm (likely to be named Conor) appears potentially worse, as the area of highest wind gusts appears slightly further south, in this instance through the central belt of Scotland (gust strengths similar to Barbara). Fortunately, the Azores High appears to want to ridge back northwards again after Christmas and towards the New Year, so conditions should becme more settled, though always the chance of slightly more unsettled conditions in the far northwest. No signs as yet of anything cold, other than Christmas Eve and Boxing Day in western Scotland as the wind veers behind the storms, with a strong northwesterly flow bringing possible blizzard conduitions above 400 metres or so, and the chance of sleet and wet snow at lower levels in these areas.

I've had a hip MRI, but not neck (yet) - how bad is it? I may have cracked a vertebra.

I've had a few over the years at different hospitals. Usually they'll restrain your head in some fashion, worst one was a 'cage' type thing; lie you down and then in you go, head n'all. I have this memory of going in head first at least once. I made the mistake of saying ok to the music over the headphones once.

I found the whole thing oddly relaxing without music over the headphones, a bit sensory deprivation with the inside of the tube so close to your face and all the strange thrumming and clankings going on. If you move about it can take ages to get a clear image. If you are claustrophobic you'r in trouble.

I've had a few over the years at different hospitals. Usually they'll restrain your head in some fashion, worst one was a 'cage' type thing; lie you down and then in you go, head n'all. I have this memory of going in head first at least once. I made the mistake of saying ok to the music over the headphones once.

I found the whole thing oddly relaxing without music over the headphones, a bit sensory deprivation with the inside of the tube so close to your face and all the strange thrumming and clankings going on. If you move about it can take ages to get a clear image. If you are claustrophobic you'r in trouble.
Much the same as my hip MRI except the cage is in a different place, then. Cheers.

Storm on Friday appears likely to send the worst gusts at the Hebrides, while the Christmas Day storm may be at its worst in terms of gusts in a band north of the Central Belt and south of the far North (up as far as Brora and Helmsdale).

Met Office have weather warnings for W. and NW. Scotland from tomorrow through until Christmas Eve, with amber warnings for 23rd and 24th; these are for wind gusts. Link here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1482278400

Back
Top Bottom