Vetiver....Guerlains and/or Encre Noir

Clearly the above two are established and each has a following that might stick to one and shun the other.

I've seen two recent mentions of them both.

Someone just give me one or two pointers here, if you will. Try and distinguish between the two and where you might sample one or the other (ideally both) and what Vetiver means to you and how I might find it myself, given the problems I've had which are detailed elsewhere on the site, which I suspect revolve around the smell of musk.

Finally, none of us goes out of our way to pay more than we have to and maybe even see it as part of the fun...getting it for a reasonable figure...so where did you get yours from? Seen some gear on Amazon / Ebay etc. Haven't looked at allbeauty...will do so tomorrow.

Thanks in anticipation.

Im your man here Stan will have a spray of both and get back to you

What a stroke of luck at work and my dad has encre noire on whilst im wearing guerlian!

So encre starts as a much darker yet refined vetiver, to my nose, when first sprayed think bonfire, that very quickly mellows to a musky, light vetiver with a cypress and cedarwood tone. It then turns to a warm perhaps amber and green or fresh vetiver if you like with no smoke whatsoever.

Guerlian is sweet green fresh vetiver no smoke i get woodsy, cypress, very green fresh clean vetiver notes.

In other words if you like a light vetiver guerlian may be the one for you. Encre does last longer though. Bottle wise both look fantastic but encre is a hassle to take as a travel scent as its a chunky cubed bottle. Guerlian is based on a swiss watch facia. Both have great dispersion through the spray tops.

Encre i think is cheapest from cheapsmells but havent bought a bottle for some time so probably giving outdated info here. Guerlian I bought for around 60 from duty free in December, allbeauty have it for around £45 now I think.

I get more complimemts from the guerlian. Much lighter, sweeter, peppery and more refined vetiver IMO.

With both I use encre more in the evening. When most gents have a/s on guerlian may not stand out or be as apparent.

That was quick - and comprehensive. Ideal...ta for that.

Anywhere where I might try them though? Not the cheapest to buy only to find I didn't love them...although, from what you say, they're different and your description appeals. I tried 1 Million and hated it...I guess the two are poles apart?

That's a good write up by Nishy.

You should be able to test the Guerlain in a department store such as Debenhams or any of the UK equivalents. It's really fresh and uplifting.

Personally I haven't ever seen Encre Noir on the shelves in bricks and mortar store. It's very well respected in the scent world. I have a bottle, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Definitely distinct.

Allbeauty.com seems to be one of the better places to pick up both.

DevonStan said:
That was quick - and comprehensive. Ideal...ta for that.

Anywhere where I might try them though? Not the cheapest to buy only to find I didn't love them...although, from what you say, they're different and your description appeals. I tried 1 Million and hated it...I guess the two are poles apart?
I also hated 1 million way to heavy, sweet and metallic to my nose but others love it, thats the game. I would email lalique otherwise ill ask my neighbour who produces it he got me onto it. Otherwise Westfield or brent cross or central london is your best bet.

Thanks Nishy. Can see them in at allbeauty and Amazon and one of them at Debenhams. London is a bit of a trot from Exeter and when we visit Essex we're a bit pushed for time so will prob. start off with the Encre Noir and go from there.

Ta for your thoughts there.

Yes its very sweet and smells kind of cheap imo

jb74 said:
That's a good write up by Nishy.

You should be able to test the Guerlain in a department store such as Debenhams or any of the UK equivalents. It's really fresh and uplifting.

Personally I haven't ever seen Encre Noir on the shelves in bricks and mortar store. It's very well respected in the scent world. I have a bottle, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Definitely distinct.

Allbeauty.com seems to be one of the better places to pick up both.
Cheers fella

Sorry just to clarify my review is based on guerlian ideal (vetiver based and newer) not guerlian vetiver.

Yh I would leave the Mrs out of this one stan :)

Nishy said:
Sorry just to clarify my review is based on guerlian ideal (vetiver based and newer) not guerlian vetiver.

Yh I would leave the Mrs out of this one stan :)

Ah, hope that doesn't open up a can of the proverbial..... I'll look in to the comments and see if Debenhams have some to try...will be there (Plymouth) in a couple of weeks.

House of Fraser showed up, but when you click on it it say all Jo Malone products are sold out.

Amazon has a couple of listings. One is 100ml for £177.22 and another £159.99 without the box.

Back
Top Bottom