Vintage razors newly re plated in Nickel photos

TechandNEW1_zpsf04fd5e7.jpg

TechandNEW2_zpsf1fcdf55.jpg

Above photo's of a Fat Handle Tech plus a 1940's NEW with Thin Handle that I collected today.
I have an Aristocrat Junior there which is having a Nickel re plate too. The Rockets and Aristocrats involve a bit more work to plate both the gap above the knob and inside of the head. Plate with doors open and second time with them closed. Bit more cost but will get there in the end. I'm helping them get the process right.

It came out fine it had to go through the plating twice, once with doors open and again with them closed to get the groove above the knob plated and the inside of the head.
Even with twice plating cost it was cheap ! The Rocket style razors aren't easy to re plate. Superspeeds are easier no groove above the knob.
To be fair the razor's 60+ years old and to expect it to be the same as when it left the factory in the 1940's is a bit much. A little give and take is in order.
If anyone's super critical they may be disappointed that the razor's not as new. Pitting cannot be removed, deep scratches or mechanical faults will still be there under the new plating.
The plater's can't have a member of staff work on one razor for half a day, they'd be out of business.

Prestigeplating1_zps0ddbce02.jpg

Prestigeplating2_zps46bc2e94.jpg

Another selection of Nickel replating from Prestige, TV Superspeed, Thin service handle Tech, Hybrid Tech. All look super shiny and clean
I can't see the Rhodium on the Hybrid Techs, compared my other better one to an Aristocrat and looks different more Nickel to me, so I went with the Nickel on this one. If I wanted the Rhodium Alpha my other platers would plate it over the Nickel at a lot greater cost :icon_rolleyes:.
Prestige will be shut for holidays 25th July to 11th August.

Superspeeds are OK no difficulty to replate as a unit. The TV Superspeed here was missing end caps when I got it. I made two from brass sheet and soldered them on before taking the razor in for the replate. Rockets are more difficult to get right with the knob sliding in to the handle and needing to be processed twice once with doors open and again with them closed.
As for cost pocket money Erik ! price of a couple pints in the pub......

Back
Top Bottom