Vulfix 404 - Grosvenor

The 404 is one of the two non-Simpson brushes I am keeping in my collection (the other being an Omega boar brush).

It, for me, makes an excellent travel brush given it's ability to face or bowl lather equally well.

Just got one. Much, much more impressive I would've thought, especially bearing in mind it's price.

Would definitely make a great travel brush that could be spared, as well as a more than decent starter brush. Here's what I managed to lather in no time:
y_a4778a42.jpg

N_Architect said:
The 404 is a very classic and nice starter brush, but in my opinion the knot is way too weak in density (i.e. its density is below what I would expect or need - but perhaps this is just me). Nevertheless it is a unique brush.

The 10% Diamond Edge discount is for Simpsons brushes only.

I have to agree, the knot is rather sparse for the size of handle, and seems out of proportion. Honestly its a cheap brush and feels like that, certainly compared to a good dense pure badger. Sorry!

I face lathered this morning with a cheap Wilki boar price £3.15 at Asda, and to very honest, it give me super face lather, and may I add the lather was far superior to all my very expensive Simpson badger brushes. IMO Shaving brushes don't have to be expensive to work.
Jim

Shipwrecked said:
I face lathered this morning with a cheap Wilki boar price £3.15 at Asda, and to very honest, it give me super face lather, and may I add the lather was far superior to all my very expensive Simpson badger brushes. IMO Shaving brushes don't have to be expensive to work.
Jim

Jim, I think I agree with you. I own 5 brushes (with a Vulfix 404 on the way), and my cheap Wilko is the one I most enjoy using, principally because it has a denser knot than the rest of them.

Ken T M said:
Shipwrecked said:
Jim

Jim, I think I agree with you. I own 5 brushes (with a Vulfix 404 on the way), and my cheap Wilko is the one I most enjoy using, principally because it has a denser knot than the rest of them.

Well I revisted my 404 Grosvenor, and used it for every shave for the last month. Its now my favourite brush. It has backbone, and really does have the right amount of water to create a great creamy lather, more than enough for three passes. Yours trully won over.

Well on the strength of all the positive comments here, I've just ordered a 404.

That makes 3 brushes, Pure Bristle (Wilkinson), Pure Badger (Simpsons) and a Bodger.

With all the bases covered. I wont be buying anymore. atleast that's the plan....

Greetings

IMHO a wonderful brush, in terms of value this brush punches way above it's weight.

I face lather at least 95% of the time and for that purpose it is hard to beat this brush, I have Omega and Semogue boar's including the Semogue 620 which is claimed by many to be the holy grail of face lathering brushes. This brush is every bit it's equal and is not a 'lather eater' like many of the others. If I was restricted to one brush only I would choose the Vulfix 404 Mixed.

Regards
Dick.

Just got one of these and..
First impressions were so-so, the knot seems a little sparse? and short.
The handle is a corker nice and heavy and a good weight, which I think makes the knot look even punier.

First use I soaked it for a good ten minutes and was quite alarmed by how floppy it appeared.
In use though it's most impressive, soft yet with enough backbone to handle Tabac and MWF, face lathering creams and bowl lathering Cella... so far!
No smell and no scritchiness either though I'm not easily scritched I have a good sense of smell and well remember the pong of boar and badger in the bathroom.

First few days only so....

like a tech, palmolive stick and some astra green blades this is a very decent staple of anyones arsenal

Al H said:
like a tech, palmolive stick and some astra green blades this is a very decent staple of anyones arsenal

Greetings

Well said sir! A shaving set up fit for a King and at a negligible cost. I would personally replace the tech with a ten quid SE razor but none the less your set up would shave anyone, anywhere on the planet to perfection and if the tech was too mild for you it would take you twenty seconds to make a shim!

Regards
Dick.

I'm not keen on the Bodger, but love the handle. Today my TGN best knots arrived and I have started the transformation. Bot my Bodgers have had the knots removed and one will have a bulb the other a fan in Best.

Back
Top Bottom