What are you drinking tonight.

After further exploration of Laphroaig, it may just have nudged past Ardbeg. I get a deeper peat and smoke with the Laphroaig, and it's drier in flavour which I like. Oddly, adding a bit a water (half a teaspoon) to this one seems to enhance the flavours whereas with most other whiskies I find that water brings out more of the sweet notes but also diminishes it overall. I guess the real test will be which bottle I reach for the most, but in terms of bang for the buck, especially with Laphroaig being on offer in Asda for £26, it's tough to beat.

I was initially disappointed that Laphroaig is bottled at 40%, however with the discovery that this one is actually better with a touch of water, I'm going to backtrack on that one and say that it's fine as it is. This is definitely one I'll buy again.

Hiya,

Well I recently hadda buddy treat me to whatever beer I wanted and a six pack of Vitus did the trick. Brewed by Weihenstephan it's a Weiss/bock thing that's luscious to me. Best of both worlds kinda thing. Tough to justify the high price but I can see why that is and do buy it sometimes, and drinking it on the house makes great guilt free gulping! Decent amount of alcohol that's very well hidden.

Got em cooling off right now.

Martin

I chanced my arm with Lidl's artisan Gin, Hortus. Retails for £15.99 and is well presented. Added ice, lime and tonic and was seriously impressed. To my taste this gives Sixsmith, Plymouth and the other premium brands a real run for their money. I would choose Tanqueray No.10 over it, but at the price point it is a bargain.

A couple of Shipyard American IPA's. Far from the most hop-forward American IPA available, it still has a very pleasant and fruity hoppyness, leading with Cascade. Very nice.

M&S has some wonderful beers / ales on offer at the minute, so I took the opportunity to stock up on this:

HT_FD_F23A_00494939_NC_X_EC_0

I have to say, without exception, they've all been fantastic but my personal favourites are Irish Stout, Cascade, Cornish IPA and Norfolk Bitter.

9:20am here in grey, cloudy San Francisco. Having a ginormous coffee at my local coffee shop before heading out doing the weekend errands. Recovering from a looooong gout flare-up still I am staying away from beer. Oh man I miss beer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449336216.185448.jpg

A motley assortment from Home Bargains of all places:

0000322_brains-sa-8x500ml_300.jpeg
WentworthImperialAle.jpg
4936898447_034101e7a5.jpg
coil_oil.png

Brains SA 4.2% a Welsh old favourite in a plastic bottle -- that's a new development in the real ale world then
Wentworth Imperial Ale 3.8%
Wentworth Snowman's revenge 6.2% (seasonal limited production run)
Barnsley Beer Company Coil Oil dark spiced Porter 3.9%

The best-before dates are looming within about six weeks, but for £1 each except for the Snowman's, they're great value.

Back
Top Bottom