What was your first?

which cream/soap did you start with?

• Total voters
Hello shavers, a lot of newbies ask what cream/soap to use and then have an array of mixed answers, depending on each shaver and their preferences, which can be confusing and time consuming to read through.

So I thought firstly why not start a thread which simply states which soap/cream each member started on and secondly if they are still using it in their rotation or would buy it again.

Hopefully this should give newbies an idea of what another experienced member started on and what they thought about it. Yes all the smart members probably think this is the same as just posting normally but hence the poll so hopefully a few favourites can be identified.

Ill start off (and hopefully it will be followed or I look like a loser):

cream: palmolive (approx £1.50)
still using and would buy it again

Mine was something from St Charles Shave. It was crap, being new to this I thought it was me so sent out some to a few members here who also confirmed it was crap too.

After that it was some tobs pots and anything I could get my hands on. I acted very differently in the early days of this hobby.

Proraso green - without knowing anything, purchased from Amazon - pure luck that it was good, I am still using and it will probably always be in the cupboard in the future!

My first soap was William's Mug Soap. I didn't buy it, I am pretty sure that it was a roommate's from long ago and that it somehow ended up with my stuff. When I got into wet shaving I remembered seeing it, so I dug it out and gave it a go...I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. My first GOOD soap (which I bought on the same day that I tried the William's) was Van Der Hagen Deluxe, which I still use and enjoy. My first non-locally purchased soap (which I ordered with my first set of gear, but didn't arrive until after I had already tried William's and VDH) was RazoRock Napoleon's Violet, which I also still use and love.

TOBS Sandalwood Soap, i didnt get very good lathers with it.

I then bought a Palmolive shave stick and only then did i realise i wasnt adding enough water to the TOBS for a good lather. I went back to the TOBS and the lathers were much better. I wasnt that keen on the scent though.

Back
Top Bottom