What was your first?

which cream/soap did you start with?

• Total voters
In order of sampling.
1st. Liz Earle shave cream was my first, was already using it before DE. Like it and don't think I've found better yet. £11.50
2nd up for test was Boots own soap in bowl. Thumbs up. Wouldn't buy again though as price is comparable to some more premium products which I have found to be superior. ~£3 (almost always on 3 for 2)
3rd Palmolive stick. Can't get on with it. Haven't tried grating it yet though... 50p
4th Truefitt and Hill No 10 cream. Very nice, great scent, easy lather. Contender for top spot. £3.50-£8.00 @ Creightons, Sainsbo's, nkdman.
5th Palmolive Cream. Spot on, similar to T&H with a different, much milder, scent. £1.80 Tesco.
6th Proraso Green. Great menthol kick. Bit weak on the third pass, no matter what brush, no matter what soak or pre-shave loading. £5.50 nkdman.
7th Lea Shave Stick. PIF (unknown price). To be reviewed...
8th Ingrams. £1.75 Superdrug. To be reviewed...
9th Mitchell's Wool Fat. £16.19 Carbolic soap, price matched nkdman. To be reviewed...
10th St James of London Cedarwood and Clarysage. £3.50 Creightons. To be reviewed...
11th Real Shaving Company Menthol. £1 Creightons. To be reviewed...
12th Boots shave cream. £1.50. To be reviewed...

Of the 6 soaps/creams I've tried. Best performance: Liz Earle.
Best value: Palmolive cream.
Best pound for pound and overall winner thus far: T&H at £3.50 a throw from Creightons. My recommendation for new starters.

Truefitt and Hill luxury hard soap, it came in the gift set my wife bought me including the Merkur 34c as the first razor.
I don't have any of that soap at the moment but I've had two and will buy another at some point.

Wilkinson sword blue bowl.

Not using now, wouldn't buy again.

I did go back to it once I'd got my technique better, and found with a lot of effort I could get a decent lather in the end, but simply not worth the effort.

Proraso white, the bowl version from Connaught Shaving. Still in my rotation - an excellent cream and I love the scent. Very fresh and light.

Since then it is safe to say that I have acquired a severe case of SAD and CAD.

Currently I think I have about 20 soaps / creams, and some Godrej and Old Spice joining the party soon when some Indian colleagues come over to spend some time working in the UK. Oh, and lump of Figaro to collect as well.

Still very fond of the Proraso White though

Cheers,

Jon

EJ Aloe Vera soap. Pure shite it is. Then Body Shop maca root, which was an improvement, but still could hardly match Nivea Sensitive Gel. Traded it for Proraso which made all the difference, and then the SCAD kicked in.

1. Boots shave stick
2. Proraso white tub (which is what I voted as Proraso was on the list)
3. MWF
4. Proraso green tube (a sample tube with the Proraso white order)

That is it, I can't really see me using anything other than the MWF or Proraso white.
The green is ok and I'll probably use the rest of it up, but left me with a bit of irritation compared to those two.

First used a Palmolive stick.

My regular soap is a home brew, recipe below:

Ingredients - 2x Palmolive sticks, 1x Arko stick, tube of Palmolive cream.

Method - Grate all three sticks with cheese grater from the kitchen in to a large bowl. Clean cheese grater and return to kitchen drawer before it's use is discovered. Mix together. Add about half a tube of Palmolive shaving cream. Stirr up and press in to bowl.

It works for me. I find it lathers brilliantly and doesn't have quite the full on smell of Arko.

For travel I use the Palmolive cream. If I'm feeling fancy then TOBS Sandlewood.

Ingrams.

It was around the time if the bad batches too, which I didn't know about. Luckily I got a good tube.

Didn't really research, so I think I got lucky!

Ingrams is a good cream, lathers well, refreshes, and is cheap. So for a newbie, if wet shaving isn't for them they've not wasted a load of money.

I used TOBS sandalwood first. I wouldn't use it again though, it burned my skin lathering up after the first pass. Soon after I got a tube of la Toja sensitive and I'll always keep a tube handy.

Mine would be other on your poll, Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus soap in a wooden bowl. I got it in a gift pack with the EdC and my first brush, an Arran Aromatics branded boar. A week later I bought my first DE, a Merkur 43C and about a month after that I officially went on the breadline after discovering TSR! :icon_wink:

Scott.

Sm304 said:
Mine would be other on your poll, Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus soap in a wooden bowl. I got it in a gift pack with the EdC and my first brush, an Arran Aromatics branded boar. A week later I bought my first DE, a Merkur 43C and about a month after that I officially went on the breadline after discovering TSR! :icon_wink:

Scott.

I have met you, you were obviously not on the breadline for long!

;-)

:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom