What was your first?

which cream/soap did you start with?

• Total voters
NotTheStig said:
I think mine was Wilkinson Sword bowl soap. Not still using it as it's shite

LOL that was my second, chuck some Durby's in the mix and you've got a....red raw face that looks like you've shaved with a belt sander :icon_razz:

Looks like TOBS is the main starter cream, I do like TOBS infact I believe I bummed them so to speak for the first few months of DE shaving but I find their mono scents e.g. grapefruit, sandalwood, lemon and lime, avocoado; all seem to be very artificial in scent. Having just bought a tub of trumpers coconut I can now appreciate the 'real' scent of coconut in comparisson to TOBS version and for me this makes trumpers a nicer/natural (if possible) and more high end product

When I first started wet shaving (mid seventies) I used my Fathers soap which was always Old Spice. When I got back on board the DE shaving bus I thought Old Spice had long gone out of production so opted for an Arko stick.

C&E Sandalwood - still in rotation & would definitely buy again; if there were one I'd not replace, that'd be the 2nd one I bought, EJ Sea Buckthorn... just can't lather it :dodgy:

Scswalex said:
Proraso green - without knowing anything, purchased from Amazon - pure luck that it was good, I am still using and it will probably always be in the cupboard in the future!

Exactly the same for me with a Kent branded mwf

this brings up awful memories. when i was 19-20 i bought the TOBS pure badger and sandalwood box set but i didnt know you could still get traditional razors. my mach 3 would clog up with the lather so i deliberately made it runny as owt and i did this for an entire year before finding out about DE's and cutthroats.

i would get tobs again but there is so much stuff out there i havent tried yet, whats the point?

Proraso soap, along with an EJ razor and Derby blades. Still using the Proraso, but the rest went down the road a long time ago.

1st up was TOBS Sandlewood. Wasn't sure about the scent to start with but now I really like it. It lathers really well for me, and I then got their Sensitive Skin Jermyn Street version, before realising my technique was to blame for the irritation I was getting. Now using Nannys Silly Soap in olive oil form, which is also really good, once you get the hang of lathering it up.

thrifty said:
NotTheStig said:

I was the same! Used it as normal soap!
I just chucked mine as I don't want to feel responsible for putting someone off shaving soaps. Although the smell was very synthetic I thought it was ok and I guess the plastic bowl is handy (I should have kept it and put Monsavon in it or something)

NotTheStig said:

This for me as well although I don't actually mind it and I do use it now and again. In fact I've nearly used the tub although I was using this for my Fusion shaves before I went DE so I've owned it for a couple of years. It was a Xmas stocking filler pressie off my wife along with the Wilkinson brush.

I would probably buy it again but I've used it so much before I knew there was better stuff out there I sort of have a soft spot for it.

I miss "other". I am sure that many traditional wet shavers simply started with what soap or cream was available on the supermarket shelves.

The store in the village where I grew up, had two brands; Palmolive and De Vergulde Hand. I still like both of those soaps.

Edit: though I used DVH mostly, I voted for Palmolive in the poll.

Back
Top Bottom