Acquisitions - August 2024

Thanks for the advice. I tend to clean and then spray with alcohol. Hopefully that’s ok
Do NOT use alcohol on the gold plated razors, since it will remove that gold color quick like! I have decent luck using a paste of baking soda and a little water, applied with a toothbrush or soft cloth or both.

The Fatboy's fine using a good polish but no reason for alcohol that I know of.

Do NOT use alcohol on the gold plated razors, since it will remove that gold color quick like! I have decent luck using a paste of baking soda and a little water, applied with a toothbrush or soft cloth or both.

The Fatboy's fine using a good polish but no reason for alcohol that I know of.
thank you for the timely advice as I was going to use one of the Gold ones tomorrow. Appreciate it. Cheers

For general maintenance ...

@Sandpaper if your razors are new(ish) and in good condition, just a simple swish in water and pat dry ought to do it. Once used for a while razors can pick up soap residue which appears white on the razor - this can be removed with simple liquid soap and a soft (note: soft) toothbrush.

AP1GczOBOC_KWwtUZBb8s2I4JLTDxNvSe4v7YgjJ71bd3VyEZx7tltaJmBCdthOk44P0_zr-z5CTFa0bDbb8xQ-L0e6stw8QVX4mHEdB6S2iKCWC0Sr28IGyY04ergGYMpxYZVY-B4PvTYb1RhxV0uX1Wi2Lug=w1200

I use this type, not the harsh nylon bristle which can impart its own scratching into the plate. Another tip is that microfibre cloths can induce a micro-marring into the plate which can make it appear hazy. Good, old-fashioned yellow duster!

In fact, if I'm removing dried soap residue from new(ish) razors then I tend to just do that dry without the liquid soap and just buff that residue off.

For restoration ...

For slightly older and more worn razors, again, it's that toothbrush and some Peek Polish which I then bring up to a sparkle with liquid soap. I've done this on countless vintage razors, which if you're starting with a well plated example already and just dirty or grubby then that'll do a treat! Anything else that needs a stronger scrub, it's an ultrasonic bath.

Anything that has compromised plating is never going to "buff out" and needs replating.

Again, I've done this with countless razors (Iike, hundreds ... plural) and while there are one or two "tricks" depending upon specifics, if it's stubborn then ultrasonic, if it's just grubby then Peek and if it just wants a pick me up then liquid soap ... and the softest bristle toothbrush you can find. Peek is as good as Brasso on raw brass razors and that aforementioned yellow duster comes into its own for that task.

For general maintenance ...

@Sandpaper if your razors are new(ish) and in good condition, just a simple swish in water and pat dry ought to do it. Once used for a while razors can pick up soap residue which appears white on the razor - this can be removed with simple liquid soap and a soft (note: soft) toothbrush.

AP1GczOBOC_KWwtUZBb8s2I4JLTDxNvSe4v7YgjJ71bd3VyEZx7tltaJmBCdthOk44P0_zr-z5CTFa0bDbb8xQ-L0e6stw8QVX4mHEdB6S2iKCWC0Sr28IGyY04ergGYMpxYZVY-B4PvTYb1RhxV0uX1Wi2Lug=w1200

I use this type, not the harsh nylon bristle which can impart its own scratching into the plate. Another tip is that microfibre cloths can induce a micro-marring into the plate which can make it appear hazy. Good, old-fashioned yellow duster!

In fact, if I'm removing dried soap residue from new(ish) razors then I tend to just do that dry without the liquid soap and just buff that residue off.

For restoration ...

For slightly older and more worn razors, again, it's that toothbrush and some Peek Polish which I then bring up to a sparkle with liquid soap. I've done this on countless vintage razors, which if you're starting with a well plated example already and just dirty or grubby then that'll do a treat! Anything else that needs a stronger scrub, it's an ultrasonic bath.

Anything that has compromised plating is never going to "buff out" and needs replating.

Again, I've done this with countless razors (Iike, hundreds ... plural) and while there are one or two "tricks" depending upon specifics, if it's stubborn then ultrasonic, if it's just grubby then Peek and if it just wants a pick me up then liquid soap ... and the softest bristle toothbrush you can find. Peek is as good as Brasso on raw brass razors and that aforementioned yellow duster comes into its own for that task.
Thanks again. Incredibly helpful

View attachment 124352

Booked yesterday off work for the Bank Holiday....lunchtime drinks...found myself making an order....delivered within 24 hours by Connaught - great service. Zero buyer's remorse. Very happy and looking forward to using these new acquisitions!
Can’t fault Connaught. That’s excellent for delivery though.

Have you tried Wickham Soap Co’s Russian Leather or Club Cola soaps before? They both smell like the products they’re imitating. I like the range - Parma Violet smells exactly like the sweets though, so whoever was behind the nose for that one is a genius. D R Harris’ Windsor has a nice scent too. Very impressed with their soaps.

Can’t fault Connaught. That’s excellent for delivery though.

Have you tried Wickham Soap Co’s Russian Leather or Club Cola soaps before? They both smell like the products they’re imitating. I like the range - Parma Violet smells exactly like the sweets though, so whoever was behind the nose for that one is a genius. D R Harris’ Windsor has a nice scent too. Very impressed with their soaps.
I haven't but was keen to based on what i thought they might smell like. You're absolutely right - the samples both smell exactly as i'd hoped. Real shame both are out of stock in the normal sizes

Back
Top Bottom