Acquisitions - June 2024

Just arrived… Simpson’s M6 synthetic in Emerald Candy.

I’ve been watching this on the sale section of the Simpson’s website for weeks. Then the buggers pulled a fast one… “only one left in stock”. And I fell for it… d’oh!

It’s a tiny brush. I like tiny brushes, reminds me of the New Forest brush I had 12 years ago (I should never have sold it).

Look out for it soon in SOTD.

IMG_0159.jpegIMG_0160.jpeg

Hiya,

I believe these are some older versions of this soap. NIB 5 soaps for almost nothing price with the good ingredients and maybe was made by Dr Dittmar a while back. The stuff gets nice reviews and I'll try it soon.

Attachments

• 20240614_091302.jpg
    20240614_091302.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240614_090816.jpg
    20240614_090816.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240614_090329.jpg
    20240614_090329.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 16
Hiya,

I believe these are some older versions of this soap. NIB 5 soaps for almost nothing price with the good ingredients and maybe was made by Dr Dittmar a while back. The stuff gets nice reviews and I'll try it soon.

Nice formulation, that! Their current formulation has (I think) sesame oil in it, which I can't believe brings anything to the party. This formulation is a real classic. Enjoy!

Nice formulation, that! Their current formulation has (I think) sesame oil in it, which I can't believe brings anything to the party. This formulation is a real classic. Enjoy!
Hey Paul,

Glad you chimed in since soaps seem to be your meat, so to speak. So many incarnations of so very many soaps/creams over the years that it's tricky finding the right stuff. As some new members may not know, high cost often does not compare to consistent quality all the time. Some important things could be changed in the revised mix sometimes.

Years ago I used the Dittmar Rivavige which was really good so I'm hoping this Gold Dachs will perform kinda similar.

On the same subject of this soap acquisition, there were a few more items included in the deal. Quite a nice looking men's manicure set was sent and a very well made Dopp kit, both unused and perfect.

Here's a couple more pics of these other items made by Pfeilring, which I believe may also be kinda old. Might be a connection between those companies somewhere.

Type at you later,

Martin
Screenshot_14-6-2024_122314_www.etsy.com.jpeg
Screenshot_14-6-2024_151739_www.etsy.com.jpeg

Last edited:
Lovely set @dodgy

Across the now hundreds of ingredient lists that I've pored over there is a strong commonality amongst a number of European soaps (likely with common heritage) from Muhle to Dr Dittmar to Carthusia to De Vergulde Hand. What I see with Dr Dittmar is a really clean ingredient list - De Vergulde Hand is incredibly similiar but also contains kaolin which might give straight shavers the edge.

I keep my eyes peeled for a deal on older Dr Dittmar (don't fancy that sesame oil in the currently available offering, based on really NOT enjoying peanut oil in, say, Haslinger) but have De Vergulde Hand in the meantime ... and actually Boots tablets from the 2000s and into the 2010s bears a strong resemblance. As per all things shaving related, it's those tiny differences that make all the difference.

Additional to the above. I love this review I found:

This smells like sexual soap. This smells like someone very clean getting ready to do something very bad. This is a fragrance Lucifer would choose to wear. There is absolutely nothing synthetic about this fragrance yet it smells dangerous; if Dorothy had been a man, this is what the poppy fields in Oz would’ve smelled like.

A charity shop find. For £5 a bit of a no brainer and not too bad in an old fashion kind of way

View attachment 121662
5 quid - go back and get me a bottle lad

smug GIF

20240615_191057.jpg
Feeling very spoilt today by the postman, tyvm to @Sandalwoody for the great Spanish Leather gear and tyvm to @Johnny Beeblebrox for the Merkur 37c very generous of you and lastly to my wife that got up in the night and completed a purchase as a surprise because she saw me pop a 34c into a basket and a 39c. I popped them in a few days ago whilst I was mulling over what to do but guess she made the decision for me. Gotta love her.
A lovely surprise unless it's to butter me up for some expensive shoes she has found ha ha.

View attachment 121672
Feeling very spoilt today by the postman, tyvm to @Sandalwoody for the great Spanish Leather gear and tyvm to @Johnny Beeblebrox for the Merkur 37c very generous of you and lastly to my wife that got up in the night and completed a purchase as a surprise because she saw me pop a 34c into a basket and a 39c. I popped them in a few days ago whilst I was mulling over what to do but guess she made the decision for me. Gotta love her.
A lovely surprise unless it's to butter me up for some expensive shoes she has found ha ha.
I have been using the 34c lately after a long hiatus, easy to see why it has been in production for nearly a hundred years — classic and vintage — sadly I suspect we will not see the current iteration for much longer. Enjoy. Doubtless BST prices will head far-north when retail-stocks dry-up as the new version is rolled-out.

I have been using the 34c lately after a long hiatus, easy to see why it has been in production for nearly a hundred years — classic and vintage — sadly I suspect we will not see the current iteration for much longer. Enjoy. Doubtless BST prices will head far-north when retail-stocks dry-up as the new version is rolled-out.
It was actually your post about the 34c that prompted me to add it to the basket before they changed the design, I was struck with FOMO.

Thank you for enabling me ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom