Chrome Oxide

If its a leather strop I would expect there to be sufficient give for it not to matter but with a balsa strop I would, you are sure that the spine was indeed taped when it was honed.

Jeltz said:
If its a leather strop I would expect there to be sufficient give for it not to matter but with a balsa strop I would, you are sure that the spine was indeed taped when it was honed.

Neil says he always tapes the spine on the razors he hones. I recently ordered a strop from him as I only had a poor quality, cheapo from the bay. He suggested that rather than throw the cheap strop out, I could attach it to a piece of wood, and treat it with chrome oxide for use when I needed more than just a strop. Hence the question.

Parwin said:
Jeltz said:

Neil says he always tapes the spine on the razors he hones. I recently ordered a strop from him as I only had a poor quality, cheapo from the bay. He suggested that rather than throw the cheap strop out, I could attach it to a piece of wood, and treat it with chrome oxide for use when I needed more than just a strop. Hence the question.

If you treat the old strop like I suggested - ie sand it with very fine (around 600 grit) wet and dry paper, that will raise a slight 'nap' on the leather. This, together with the softness of the leather, will have enough give in it to compensate for the taping, so you will not have to tape the razor. I have talked to a few people who always use leather-covered paddle strops, and they have found it makes no difference leaving the tape off.

If the leather is the cheap, hard stuff like boot soles are made of, then you could always place some felt or thin foam on the wood blank before attaching the leather. Or just screw/nail the ends of the leather and drive two thin bits of timber in at either end so that the leather is supported on it and has a bit of natural 'give' in it like a loom strop.

Regards,
Neil

First of all, sorry to hijack the thread.

I was thinking of just treating a panel of balsa wood with chrome oxide and using that. Is there anything that I need to do, spine taping etc?

Ian

Neil Miller said:
Parwin said:
Jeltz said:

If you treat the old strop like I suggested - ie sand it with very fine (around 600 grit) wet and dry paper, that will raise a slight 'nap' on the leather. This, together with the softness of the leather, will have enough give in it to compensate for the taping, so you will not have to tape the razor. I have talked to a few people who always use leather-covered paddle strops, and they have found it makes no difference leaving the tape off.

If the leather is the cheap, hard stuff like boot soles are made of, then you could always place some felt or thin foam on the wood blank before attaching the leather. Or just screw/nail the ends of the leather and drive two thin bits of timber in at either end so that the leather is supported on it and has a bit of natural 'give' in it like a loom strop.

Regards,
Neil

Thanks Neil. I've seen pictures of loom strops so know what you are describing.

Sorry if some of my questions are a bit 'odd' its just that I don't want to ruin my razor if I can help it.

IanM said:
First of all, sorry to hijack the thread.

I was thinking of just treating a panel of balsa wood with chrome oxide and using that. Is there anything that I need to do, spine taping etc?

Ian

I don't think you need to tape the spine, Ian - I remember talking to someone about this, and he used the same set-up and did not find any need to tape the spine, even though the razor had a layer of tape on it during honing. A look with a strong loupe or magnifying glass should let you know - if the spine is lowered (ie not taped) then the angle of the bevel will be reduced, and the only part getting any treatment should be where the top line of the bevel meets the blade - at the shoulder, as it were. Raising the spine (ie taping) should increase the angle so that the very tip of the bevel (or the full face of it if the angle it was honed at is faithfully reproduced) will be getting the treatment.

If you don't have a strong lens, perhaps a magic marker would accomplish the same thing - draw gently over the bevel to blacken it and let it dry, then strop on your set-up without tape. If after say 5 laps any marker remains on the cutting tip of the bevel, then the angle is too low and the spine will have to be taped to elevate it.

I would have thought that the softness of balsa, especially if it has been sanded to give it a bit of tooth (not that it needs it for 'tooth' but its just as well to use a sanding block to get it dead flat - with wet and dry paper, not sandpaper that might leave particles embedded in it) would be enough to let you get away without having to tape the spine.

Regards,
Neil

Parwin said:
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

When using a strop with chrome oxide do you tape the spine of the razor as you do when honing?

No. I don't tape the spine even when honing. Unless the razor had some artistic file work on the spine I wouldn't even think of doing that.

Max - only when you notice a falling off - maybe once a week or once a fortnight. It will revive a flagging edge, but if the razor becomes truly dull it will have to go back to the hone.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
Max - only when you notice a falling off - maybe once a week or once a fortnight. It will revive a flagging edge, but if the razor becomes truly dull it will have to go back to the hone.

Regards,
Neil

I started to use it quite frequently several months ago. Could you tell if such kind of practice significantly shortens the life span of a razor?

Back
Top Bottom