Chrome Oxide

Hyperborean said:
Could you tell if such kind of practice significantly shortens the life span of a razor?
You use a paddle, yes? Probably far less deleterious on one of those than a hanging strop ... all the same it will be rounding the bevel to some extent, which means the razor really needs honing more frequently. Short answer: yes, but if it's working ... your call.

Arrowhead said:
Hyperborean said:
Could you tell if such kind of practice significantly shortens the life span of a razor?
You use a paddle, yes? Probably far less deleterious on one of those than a hanging strop ... all the same it will be rounding the bevel to some extent, which means the razor really needs honing more frequently. Short answer: yes, but if it's working ... your call.

I use it on a linen part of hanging strop. No problem with rounding the edge. I do it because it improves the edge for me. If it hadn't I would have not done it. My main concern is potential excessive blade wear because of frequent use of chromium oxide. I mean, is there anyone who practises stropping (about 10 laps for exmaple) on chromium oxide as a regular maintenance prior to shaving and has not notices any excessive blade wear?

I have decided to "experiment" a little, I am going to stop using chromium oxide for some time to see what is the difference. I will only use TI sharpening alumina oxide diamond paste. Yesterday I stropped (more like honed on the TI paddle strop using moderate pressure) the razor on mentioned paste until I was sure there is no rounding of the edge (due to previous use of CrOx) present, then I stropped it on opposite leather side and since it was not as sharp as I wanted I did a few more laps on that sharpening paste with very light pressure- after this the razor cut cleanly through a hair in silence and without any resistance. So the edge is very sharp now. I will see how smooth is next time when I shave. For interested I will report how the shaving goes :)

Hyperborean said:
I have decided to "experiment" a little, I am going to stop using chromium oxide for some time to see what is the difference. I will only use TI sharpening alumina oxide diamond paste. Yesterday I stropped (more like honed on the TI paddle strop using moderate pressure) the razor on mentioned paste until I was sure there is no rounding of the edge (due to previous use of CrOx) present, then I stropped it on opposite leather side and since it was not as sharp as I wanted I did a few more laps on that sharpening paste with very light pressure- after this the razor cut cleanly through a hair in silence and without any resistance. So the edge is very sharp now. I will see how smooth is next time when I shave. For interested I will report how the shaving goes :)

Its not the chromium oxide that has a magical power to round the edge it is any paste or spray applied to a surface that is not solid(ie has some give) like leather, balsa and the such that will round the edge, all you are doing by using the ti paste is replacing one abrasive with another, so can not really see the difference. Also think you might not understand what rounding of the edge is, its the distortion of the bevel from a straight V shaped to more of a curved V, (cant be assed finding pics) this is caused by the give in the material you apply paste or sprays too and only way to restore the bevel is really to go back to the hones, The V bevel is being rounded and shortened so you need remove more metal to re-establish it. So to answer your question yes regular use of chromium oxide will cause excessive wear as you will have to use hones and lower grit ones more often.

pedro083 said:
...all you are doing by using the ti paste is replacing one abrasive with another, so can not really see the difference...

I can't really see that there would be much of a difference either, unless TI has managed to bend the law of physics. Chrome oxide is about 8.0 - 8.5 on the MOHS hardness scale, and aluminium oxide is around 9.0 - it is a form of corundum, so slightly more abrasive than chrome oxide according to the scale, but such a small step wouldn't be noticable - I think!

Regards,
Neil

Its not the chromium oxide that has a magical power to round the edge it is any paste or spray applied to a surface that is not solid(ie has some give) like leather, balsa and the such that will round the edge, all you are doing by using the ti paste is replacing one abrasive with another, so can not really see the difference. Also think you might not understand what rounding of the edge is, its the distortion of the bevel from a straight V shaped to more of a curved V, (cant be assed finding pics) this is caused by the give in the material you apply paste or sprays too and only way to restore the bevel is really to go back to the hones, The V bevel is being rounded and shortened so you need remove more metal to re-establish it. So to answer your question yes regular use of chromium oxide will cause excessive wear as you will have to use hones and lower grit ones more often.[/quote]

Hm this is interesting, I was accused of being so very arrogant by a french member and now I am being taught what is edge rounding ... Anyway what you seem to forget is the very nature of specific abrasive material. Diamond particles are different (sharper) than rounded CrOx particles aren't they? so sharper particles mean there can be much less rounding of the edge because it cuts cleanly through every particle metal on its path... so it's not all about the size (sounds familiar? :lol: )... meant excessive wear caused DIRECTLY by CrOx not hones and again I have to explain for some who didn't read my previous post, I...there is really no need to hone a quality TI new steel razor more than twice per year

Hyperborean said:
Hm this is interesting, I was accused of being so very arrogant by a french member and now I am being taught what is edge rounding ... Anyway what you seem to forget is the very nature of specific abrasive material. Diamond particles are different (sharper) than rounded CrOx particles aren't they? so sharper particles mean there can be much less rounding of the edge because it cuts cleanly through every particle metal on its path... so it's not all about the size (sounds familiar? :lol: )... meant excessive wear caused DIRECTLY by CrOx not hones and again I have to explain for some who didn't read my previous post, I...there is really no need to hone a quality TI new steel razor more than twice per year

having to go use hones more often due to over use of crox or bad stropping is a effect directly by crox. next you will tell me the earth is flat

Diamond pastes can do a fair bit, I've got 4 grits on a leather paddle strop, from around 8k upwards, and they can easily correct an edge that has been over cro-ox'd. I imagine it does cause more wear than a trip to hones, and will have to visit the hones eventually, but it does work nicely. If I've been using diamond pastes I do tend to finish up with cro ox though.

Tony Miller advises of the advantages of using hones, admits to regularly creating edges using pastes, and selling shave ready straights that had never seen a hone here.

Not sure why but I find moving the blade at speed with a very light touch works well on the leather paddle with diamond paste and taking a bit more time and using a little pressure gives a nice finish with the chromium oxide powder on balsa.

I do have lower grit diamond pastes lying around I've not used, would be interesting to see how low you can go with the grit and still end up with a decent edge after a progression.

Stropping with an abrasive paste of any kind will wear a razor quicker than stropping without one.

That's a very simple fact.

I don't have any personal experience of this yet, but I have read the words of many that do, and the vast majority seem to indicate that as long as a razor's edge can be made sharp enough for a shave by just stropping without paste or abrasives, then that's what should be done. When an edge cannot be brought back by stropping, then a paste or powder on a strop may get the edge back, but failing that it's back to the hone(s).

I cannot recall reading that a powder or abrasive paste should be used for daily stropping. If the edge of the razor comes off the hones in good, shave-ready condition, and the user doesn't damage it by dinging it off something or by cack-handed stropping, the razor's edge should be good for months of shaves just by regular stropping on leather.

Ian

pedro083 said:
Hyperborean said:

having to go use hones more often due to over use of crox or bad stropping is a effect directly by crox. next you will tell me the earth is flat

I have an impression that some folks here type their messages from some special institution where despite the fact that their freedom of movement is restricted none the less have access to the internet.. .listen pedro I am saying this for n.th time LOUD AND CLEAR : I DO NOT HAVE A SPECIAL PROBLEM WITH EDGE ROUNDING USING CHROMIUM OXIDE FREQUENTLY ...SO I DO NOT NEED TO TAKE MY RAZOR TO THE HONES BECAUSE OF FREQUENT USE OF CR OX I.E. NO MORE THAN COUPLE OF TIME PER YEAR IF EVEN THAT...GOT THAT CLEARLY NOW, if you can't understand what I am saying keep it to yourself

PS: there is much more metal residue noticeable due to use on Chroium oxide than on Naniwa 8k SS for example

Hyperborean said:
pedro083 said:
Hyperborean said:

I have an impression that some folks here type their messages from some special institution where despite the fact their freedom of movement is restricted have access to the internet.. .listen I am saying this for n.th time LOUD AND CLEAR : I DO NOT HAVE A SPECIAL PROBLEM WITH EDGE ROUNDING FREQUENTLY USING CHROMIUM OXIDE...SO I DO NOT NEED TO TAKE MY RAZOR TO THE HONES MORE THAN COUPLE OF TIME PER YEAR IF EVEN THAT...GOT THAT CLEARLY NOW

no missed it
Just a quick one have you been taking the wrong medication that causes this adverse reaction to understanding. you asked a question got a answer that was not to your liking went in a cream puff YES if you use crox all the time as you said you did you will cause more wear as the crox is causing wear no matter how small and is speeding up the time to go the hones as you are wearing away the bevel no matter how small a fraction we are talking. So YES no matter if you think so or not or even notice if you restricted the crox to when the edge trails off every couple of weeks or month then you would not have to hone a couple of times a year It would be less. so yes excessive use if paste speeds up the wear on a razor. you can argue the toss all you want but this is not a make believe world the laws of nature apply use something abrasive more often and something will wear out faster.

Hyperborean said:
I DO NOT HAVE A SPECIAL PROBLEM WITH EDGE ROUNDING FREQUENTLY USING CHROMIUM OXIDE...SO I DO NOT NEED TO TAKE MY RAZOR TO THE HONES MORE THAN COUPLE OF TIME PER YEAR IF EVEN THAT...GOT THAT CLEARLY NOW

Perhaps a little expansion to make it a bit clearer. A couple of times a year on the hones with chromium oxide in between sounds pretty normal. It's jut the frequency of chromium oxide, or other abrasive paste, use that seems a tad excessive to me. Are you getting the best out of your stropping? If a razor is shaving well but dulls after a few shaves I'd suspect my stropping technique, or number of laps to be the issue.

Hyperborean said:
pedro083 said:
Hyperborean said:

I have an impression that some folks here type their messages from some special institution where despite the fact that their freedom of movement is restricted none the less have access to the internet.. .listen pedro I am saying this for n.th time LOUD AND CLEAR : I DO NOT HAVE A SPECIAL PROBLEM WITH EDGE ROUNDING USING CHROMIUM OXIDE FREQUENTLY ...SO I DO NOT NEED TO TAKE MY RAZOR TO THE HONES BECAUSE OF FREQUENT USE OF CR OX I.E. NO MORE THAN COUPLE OF TIME PER YEAR IF EVEN THAT...GOT THAT CLEARLY NOW, if you can't understand what I am saying keep it to yourself

PS: there is much more metal residue noticeable due to use on Chroium oxide than on Naniwa 8k SS for example[/quot

I get the impression you are starting to shout or am I missing something???

Hyperborean said:

PS: there is much more metal residue noticeable due to use on Chroium oxide than on Naniwa 8k SS for example

...and for that reason, I'm out!

Ian

Back
Top Bottom