EDC

Kudos, I think, to @riverrun for suggesting this brilliant edition to a winter EDC: http://www.hakkin.co.jp/

Sure, it's a small, heated, white gasoline filled metal container...stuffed into your pocket...but it's been in use since 1923 and not too many people have died. I actually really like it!

You can even pick some up - vintage Jon-e or modern asian - for less than $5

There's a slew of them out there!
There is no open flame. They are completely harmless and stay toasty warm for 24 hours..

There is no open flame. They are completely harmless and stay toasty warm for 24 hours..

Yeah I figured out the flame part, and as mention, they are "quite safe" :)
s-l1600.jpg

Btw, "Go UK" - in this video at the 6 mins mark the reviewer crowns the hand warmer from Whitby in the UK the best of the lot:
That valve design is rather clever.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Whitby warmers are actually made in the UK - and are they a well known brand over there (for good or for bad)?
Their valve design on their hand warmers is both different and really clever and the hand warmer seems to be constantly highly rated.

It seems near impossible to find any hand warmers that are not from either Japan or China (not that that's a bad thing - I was just looking out of curiosity).

They sell on Amazon for about £12 btw
Hand_Warmer_4f56184255bda_300x240.gif

Wanted a brass carabiner for my keychain. Turned out that that was harder to find in a size (about two inches) and look that I wanted. If you can believe it hand made, artisan carabiners sell for up to...$300. I understand that you also buy their time, artistic vision, limited edition, etc...but it's still a carabiner hook :)

So, went looking and it turns out the Motherland delivered as I found this vintage 5cm brass carabiner that uses a pin w/ internal locking mechanism to lock it down. Just what I wanted and it was only $250!

Kidding - it was less than $10 :)
14sfke9.jpg

sq04sm.jpg

24vv4te.jpg

I got mine form [emoji670]here. They have spare parts as well, should you need them.

Just watched the videos. Couldn't earlier. Didn't have head phones on me.

Very impressed. Personally I'm now using a wheelchair more and more a tend to feel the cold as not very active any more. These are brilliant. Liked the self igniting reusable one. Looked a bit more pricey tho.

Not heard of Whitbys (lovely Town) but look reputable.

Does anyone know if the Whitby warmers are actually made in the UK - and are they a well known brand over there (for good or for bad)?
Their valve design on their hand warmers is both different and really clever and the hand warmer seems to be constantly highly rated.

It seems near impossible to find any hand warmers that are not from either Japan or China (not that that's a bad thing - I was just looking out of curiosity).

They sell on Amazon for about £12 btw
Hand_Warmer_4f56184255bda_300x240.gif

Got the Zippo one. I was careless refuelling once, ouch ! Looked a right idiot as it was on a bushcraft training weekend, sat under a tarp wood carving.

Maybe I'm being too picky...or maybe mine are lemons...or maybe this model is different. Not sure which one :)
However, happy you got some good ones!
Sorry mate, I got different ones from you I probably didn't point that out. They only have the silicone ear buds not form but they came with different sizes. They fit perfectly and don't need the fins at all.

Back
Top Bottom