EDC

I guess this qualifies as 'EDC' - new bluetooth headset by TaoTronics ($30 shipped)

Pros:
Good range. Loving being able to leave my phone and walk a good 30m away from it and still it connected to the headset
Seems like good value for money.
Easy to access/use on-headset-band controls incl. mic
Good battery power (the level of which is displayed on the phone as well)

Neutral:
Relatively comfy. I assume a bit of an adjustment period as it's a different fit with those fins.

Cons:
Almost no bass. 'Luckily' for me I intend to have it coupled with my phone where 90% of the time the audio will be either phone calls or podcasts. Also if I had tried the headset with a real DAP w/ some EQ settings maybe the sound would have been better - but since my "DAP" at the moment is a semi-ancient Zune HD (that I love) that's not an option as it doens't even support Bluetooth :)

I'd give it a strong 7/10 where the deducted points are for lack of bass and slight discomfort in the ears.

2mzejqq.jpg

I guess this qualifies as 'EDC' - new bluetooth headset by TaoTronics ($30 shipped)

Pros:
Good range. Loving being able to leave my phone and walk a good 30m away from it and still it connected to the headset

Neutral:
Relatively comfy. I assume a bit of an adjustment period as it's a different fit with those fins.

Cons:
Almost no bass. 'Luckily' for me I intend to have it coupled with my phone where 90% of the time the audio will be either phone calls or podcasts. Also if I had tried the headset with a real DAP w/ some EQ settings maybe the sound would have been better - but since my "DAP" at the moment is a semi-ancient Zune HD (that I love) that's not an option as it doens't even support Bluetooth :)

I'd give it a strong 7/10 where the deducted points are for lack of bass and slight discomfort in the ears.

2mzejqq.jpg
Very nice, might have to get some of those.
I got a "best selling" bluetooth set years ago and they look like naff cans now compared.
Shame about the bass.

I was looking for a blutooth headset yesterday. I wear earphone at work to block out mostly annoying colleagues that ruin my concentration. The wire gets in the way sometimes when typing. I was only looking at a cheap pair though plus a usb dongle

I was looking for a blutooth headset yesterday. I wear earphone at work to block out mostly annoying colleagues that ruin my concentration. The wire gets in the way sometimes when typing. I was only looking at a cheap pair though plus a usb dongle

I have to say it is really 'liberating' to not have that cord dangling down to your pocket.
This evening I used them at home and streamed podcasts/music on my phone via Stitcher and Spotify and entertained myself with walking around with just the headset on and the phone lying charging in the bedroom.

TaoTronics is also selling these for $15. 118 reviews and 4.5 stars.

I have to say it is really 'liberating' to not have that cord dangling down to your pocket.
This evening I used them at home and streamed podcasts/music on my phone via Stitcher and Spotify and entertained myself with walking around with just the headset on and the phone lying charging in the bedroom.

TaoTronics is also selling these for $15. 118 reviews and 4.5 stars.
These are the ones I looked at, payday tomorrow! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018GD730M/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A2XD9OFZCWVEF4&psc=1

Pros:

Neutral:

Cons:

2mzejqq.jpg

These are very similiar to the Jaybirds, although about a 3rd of the price. I noticed you are using the silicon buds to sit in your ear and the fins to hold them there. The lack of bass or so it seems is due to the silicon buds.

I will point you in the right direction to Comply Foam Tips from Amazon. A little bit expensive for what they are, not indestructible but you should get at least a year out of them pending on usage, and they will increase the bass signature as they form a complete seal in your ear canal making them Noise Isolation. The bonus of such is you don't have to have the volume up high and you can do away with the fins.

You will need to make sure you order the right ones to fit, but I am sure a man of your calibre, it shouldn't be too difficult. You may even change your rating to 8 / 8.5 out of 10 ;)

@MarkB just seen your post, you can do the same as well on Amazon UK if need be. Just do a search under Comply Foam tips.

These are very similiar to the Jaybirds, although about a 3rd of the price. I noticed you are using the silicon buds to sit in your ear and the fins to hold them there. The lack of bass or so it seems is due to the silicon buds.

I will point you in the right direction to Comply Foam Tips from Amazon. A little bit expensive for what they are, not indestructible but you should get at least a year out of them pending on usage, and they will increase the bass signature as they form a complete seal in your ear canal making them Noise Isolation. The bonus of such is you don't have to have the volume up high and you can do away with the fins.

You will need to make sure you order the right ones to fit, but I am sure a man of your calibre, it shouldn't be too difficult. You may even change your rating to 8 / 8.5 out of 10 ;)

@MarkB just seen your post, you can do the same as well on Amazon UK if need be. Just do a search under Comply Foam tips.

Vely intelesting...

But wow, 12-13 bucks for some foam buds. Hmmm..... :)
I did find the correct model for my TaoTronics on their fit-finder here

Last edited:
I did say expensive for what they are, but they will improve the sound quality, do away with the fins, and the earphones will sit in your perfectly mould to you ear canal.

If I could do away with the stupid fins AND improve the bass that would indeed be sweet.

Doesn't help you but Argos in the UK has them half the price. Still expensive for form though http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3071...MKEKfrmKPL4jHjTVNev5XVC4QFPOxYgzL2RoC--vw_wcB

Time for me to go looking in the bargain bin at BestBuy over here and/or eBay :)

If you are of the 'Make your own kinda a guy' go to your local pharmacy and buy a pair of earplugs for sleeping take them home and put a hole through them, big enough to accommodate your Earphones, and try them out. If they work for your then invest in Complys.

Just make sure they are foam and not silicon

Kudos, I think, to @riverrun for suggesting this brilliant edition to a winter EDC: http://www.hakkin.co.jp/

Sure, it's a small, heated, white gasoline filled metal container...stuffed into your pocket...but it's been in use since 1923 and not too many people have died. I actually really like it!

You can even pick some up - vintage Jon-e or modern asian - for less than $5

There's a slew of them out there!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom