EDC

Thanks DB, those were interesting. It was a tad hard work listening to the podcasters though as they sounded like they were doped up (down?). Maybe it's the modern way of talking in America - maybe I'm too old :) They did spend a chunk of time discussing addicts and crims though.
Anyway a quick x1.25 speed setting picked up the pace a bit.
It was refreshing to hear him talk about reasonably priced gadgets (e.g. flashlight for $20) instead of mega-bucks for everything.
I've still got the Art of Manliness to listen to to keep me going but think that will be my fix of EDC for a while.

I believe the guy that does the 10min cast only includes gear that cost less than $100

I'm still keeping my edc kit to just a few select items - some change from time to time but these seem to be core items for me...
Photo 5 mins ago:
faeb866b542c9b0bc6ded3096b289bf4.jpg

Received this $9.99 "Laguiole" knife (eBay purchase). I was rather impressed by the weight and attention to details on this little thing;
1221aj7.jpg

It does have an edge - sharp enough to cut yourself, sharpen a pencil, opening a box, etc but not really intended for any serious work. I was mostly just impressed there was an edge at all.
The Damascus look is rather nice.
20gzs7.jpg

6r2hpy.jpg

1940md.jpg

They also include a leather(?) sheath and cord should you be so inclined to use it that way. The knife kinda fits in there.
i1xvtx.jpg

Time will tell if it will end up going onto my keychain
rlz7np.jpg

Ever since I put a knife on my keychain I've looked for a good keychain quick-release - and believe me there are many out there...
Ranging from 25 cents one w/ free international shipping out of China;
s-l500.jpg

...to these rather nice solid brass ones (two for $6);
TB2SeIMtVXXXXc_XXXXXXXXXXXX_%21%21842802859.jpg

...to in-USA handmade ones in Titanium with a Trit slot in them for $65;
QRingV5-NT__78868.1470858911.1040.745.jpg

But I wanted something really simple and looked more at magnetic locks and found these that have a 6.5lb pull strength - for $16 in brass;
il_570xN.1110517657_e9ub.jpg

il_570xN.565778793_7nkn.jpg

il_570xN.565667220_a5ej.jpg

Here's two video of a similar design;

Seems sturdy enough - anyone here have any experience with magnetic quick releases and how safe they are (meaning not disconnecting accidentally)?

Back
Top Bottom