New Man Bag!

I bought one of these today
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=119
A Carradice Kelbrook Satchel in Green with dark Brown leather trim.
I needed a Bag to carry my laptop and kids assorted junk in for an upcoming trip.
Its made in Nelson,Lancashire and the machinists signs each piece of their work,The quality is fantastic and it feels bombproof.
The factory is quite close to me and after a quick phone call was informed they had a few 'seconds' at the factory for me to look at and i could drop by to have a look.
Anyway, i was dealt with by one of the bosses,bought one for £70, one strap slightly mis-aligned,saw the machinists at work and the lady who made mine which was novel!
Lovely firm,Lovely staff and I intend that this bag will see me out:icon_razz:

I love bags. My wife has several, but why should women have all the fun? I mainly use a flexible Hugo Boss satchel type bag when I need one. Takes a lot of stuff including pockets for camera/ video camera/iPad etc. Must pop it in my Royal Enfield topbox today. The weather's looking up. I'm off.

OrangeSport said:
I think it's great when you get to speak to or meet the people who actually make things..
Yes, last few years I've got fed up with buying cheap tat and started to buy UK made wherever possible and found on the whole the quality is much better, as is the customer service because they seem to care about the products they make.
Snugpak which makes outdoor things is also not a million miles away from me and i visited their factory to buy a Ventile jacket (Antartic Smock) and was allowed to have a look at the sewing floor.I know I'm sad but to me it just adds a layer of interest onto the product!:blush:

Fido said:
I love bags. My wife has several, but why should women have all the fun? I mainly use a flexible Hugo Boss satchel type bag when I need one. Takes a lot of stuff including pockets for camera/ video camera/iPad etc. Must pop it in my Royal Enfield topbox today. The weather's looking up. I'm off.

My first 'proper' bag, the wife's oversized handbags have always carried 'stuff' before. looking forward to mine getting a few stories behind it!
P.S Fido-loving my new brush!

Postie just delivered this

[attachment=6861]

Maxpedition Versipack Jumbo. Very well made with loads of pockets. Already tried it and takes an ipad in the rear pocket, A DSLR with a 200 telephoto lens, pair of over ear phones with space to spare in the main compartment and all the pockets still spare.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363855508.292884.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363855508.292884.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 133
Northam Saint said:
Postie just delivered this

Maxpedition Versipack Jumbo. Very well made with loads of pockets. Already tried it and takes an ipad in the rear pocket, A DSLR with a 200 telephoto lens, pair of over ear phones with space to spare in the main compartment and all the pockets still spare.

Maxpedition stuff is awesome. Pricey but tough as hell !!

Great thing is you can add pockets to it as well, I've a M1 waist pack too so I'm going to order the straps later.

The maxpedition stuff is very well made so reflected in the price is the fact it will last. The reviews on Amazon swayed me on this one. It will sit nicely between my feet next week n take off to USA.

I'm really struggling to guage the capacity of it from the pictures on the website.

Any chance you could load it up with a camera etc.. and take a picture of it open. it would really help me guage the size and see if it would be big enough for me. Of course if you only have one camera this could be tricky ;)

Some funky bags here. This is my manbag: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2531/011kxt.jpg

Still going strong after 70 years. There's a Western Morning News carrier bag inside for anything it can't handle.

Lose the beard said:
I'm really struggling to guage the capacity of it from the pictures on the website.

Any chance you could load it up with a camera etc.. and take a picture of it open. it would really help me guage the size and see if it would be big enough for me. Of course if you only have one camera this could be tricky ;)

Try these

With DSLR and Headphones.

[attachment=6862]

Just DSLR loads of space and goes in any way up.

[attachment=6863]

[attachment=6864]

The side compartment with a draw string will take a 300 mm lens, it's meant also for a water container.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363864328.482118.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363864328.482118.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 117
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363864341.568294.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363864341.568294.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 94
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363864352.397705.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363864352.397705.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 96
Thats excellent, many thanks.

I was looking at this one but wasn't sure it would be big enough so was considering the Mungo version as it is bigger. The problem with the bigger version is I would fill it up and decide it was too bulky so leave it at home all the time.

This looks about the perfect size for me, I may have to treat myself to one.

Lose the beard said:
Thats excellent, many thanks.

I was looking at this one but wasn't sure it would be big enough so was considering the Mungo version as it is bigger. The problem with the bigger version is I would fill it up and decide it was too bulky so leave it at home all the time.

This looks about the perfect size for me, I may have to treat myself to one.

I spent quite a while deciding on this. The maxpedition site is very good, loads of photos of it on there. I too wanted something with loads of space but not too bulky. It has a nice padded shoulder strap, which is important when lugging around a DSLR, when over your head it sits nicely on the hip

I'm really pleased with it, just ordered the TacTie's to add my waist pack .

Oh no! I have been a staunch 'manbag hater' for a very long time but although I actually have no need whatsoever for one, that Carradice has grippled the buy it nipple. I use a handmade canvas and leather rucksack for carrying my woodcarving tools and picnic down to the woods with me so maybe that counts? Well I used to as it's been a very long time since I've visited the woods. Hmm.

Totally with you on the manufacturing point - actually being able to see where its made and the person that made it is pretty special and highly personal. I'd love a Ventile jacket, I really would.

Back
Top Bottom