SOTD: Saturday 10 February - Friday 16 February 2024.

2024-02-16-11-11-21-507~2.jpg
the MWF sample finally bit the dust today but I have a sample of the lea classic stick which contains lanolin to see me through the rest of fat February.

I haven't been blown away with these nacet shaves (never used one before this pack) but could just be a bad blade so won't know till I've tried a few. I can't feel it much or notice any tugging so it seems sharp enough and smooth but I also can't get as close with it for some reason, even in an R41. will continue to compare.

Friday 16th February

ABLVV87Qww62DduPnOQN9dReocSQq4JYGTczRYuTnHk0xL638lieJrytvXLe_TFI-AqzQajei58UDgi7NLeEjVeysjCoCBqxhfYlR09ins_oxd56Y9wgb_l-61sc5UVsAi14Kx48piTUAjmYXJmIim_jINJlXQ=w800

Fat February ... and another lanolin-enriched soap adventure!

Mitchell's Wool Fat (Classic) Shaving Soap & Macy Associates No.4 w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Muhle Rocca w/Souplex Bakelite Handle & SuperMax Super Platinum (NOS) (1)
DR Harris Sandalwood Aftershave

Second half of another back to back between MWF latest formulation (last night) and the classic formula (tonight) ... and I really, really am leaning towards the latest vegetal formulation as my preference. Tonight's was a straight-up 10/10 shave what with the great soap and the quite amazing SuperMax blade which every time I use one I'm remind just how excellent they are - probably the smoothest blade I have across more than 150 unique blades!

Have a great weekend fellows!

And as my final entry for this past week of SOTD's I start by asking how dare you have a fat February? I've just spent the past two bloody years not being fat. So a skinny February it is for me. Based on this, those chaps at the department for theming things have duly awarded this shave with the theme, 'None of that shaving with animal fat here'

BksBZsaCYAA5w9O.png

20240216_173151.jpg

Not a fat razor - Ikon B1
My big fat Chinese blade - Suneko
Fat free soap - Officina Artigiana
Animal free brush - Steven Jagger 30mm Cashmere
Moisturiser - Lard
Scent - Beef dripping

'Mmmmm? Tastes like Mitchell's'

No shave yesterday as I had a total energy drain after a day out with the granddaughters. They bloody knacker me. Kids? Don't have them.

So for this evening choose something sharp to bring about cleanliness and a big grin. Choose life, choose the Ikon.and choose a blade which chews your face up. A strange one this blade. Delivers a nice face feel with a wicked edge, but weepers? Some really viscious bastards this evening. One in particular needed the emergency services of Dr Styptic and his get better soon pen. Phew, thank fuck for that.

I can hear you say 'Should have used the fat'.

A Friday? And from their wonderful album 'Finally the Weekend' it just has to be those Puffyshoes girls.......

SOTD Friday 16 February 2024

Pre-shave:
Hot shower - cold tar soap - followed by cold water splash, Zing Organics 'Smoothie' Facial Serum + Beard Oil in Cannabis Flower with Cedarwood and Green Mandarin.
Soap: Phoenix & Beau: Night Witch.
Brush: Simpsons 2 - Best Badger.
Razor: TATARA Masamune Closed Comb.
Blade: Feather (day 1).
Post: Cold water splash, Myrsol formulae 'K' and Tabula Rasa (Cool blue).

IMG_0170.jpg

Happy Friday; the Masamune came alive with the Feather - very smooth and efficient - an exceptional 2 pass shave, with no issues to report.

The P&B Nightwitch smelt fantastic - for me like Old Spice - the scent brought me back to chiildhood when I remember my dad shaving.

The Myrsol formulae 'K' killed the mood slightly, while it has exceptional skin care properties (I appreciate YMMV), the scent while normally good, overpowered the Night Witch - on reflection I should have used D.R Harris Pink Aftershave.

With best wishes,

Chris

SOTD Fri 16 Feb 2024

We are there, shave
1A909973-F70A-439F-A387-3EF18223863A.jpeg
Prep - shower
Bowl - red silicone collapsible dog bowl
Soap - MWF (new formulation)
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm synthetic
Razor - Merkur 38c
Blade - Rainbow Super Class (that’s what it says!) (2)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum block
Splash - Sierran Breeze ASL
Balm - Nivea Replenishing ASB
Fragrance - Mastermind EDT

Refreshment - mug of tea (using Ringtons traditional mug teabag)(?!)

Odd one tonight. Out of sequence as I usually only shave every second day, otherwise my face complains (I can hear it now) but it’s my three quarters of a century birthday tomorrow and I don’t think I’ll have time for more than a tidy (got a Gillette Blue II ready for that).
Family taking me out for lunch and off to see Bill Bailey on his Thoughifier tour at night. Should be a good day!
Anyway tonight’s shave was also odd in that my tremors were bad enough that I feared for my glass bowl, so one of the dog’s folding ones was used instead. Also used bigger Merkur as it’s easier to handle, still managed to nick my chin but never mind as it was otherwise a great shave. Face a bit drier than usual after so used a few drops of E45 lotion, which contains lanolin - I now officially love the fat!

1DC42F25-60AB-4181-929A-EEB3D5835FCF.jpeg
So, now I can smell woolly sheep AND somebody has stolen one of my bowls - what is going on?!?

Last edited:
Friday 16th February

ABLVV87Qww62DduPnOQN9dReocSQq4JYGTczRYuTnHk0xL638lieJrytvXLe_TFI-AqzQajei58UDgi7NLeEjVeysjCoCBqxhfYlR09ins_oxd56Y9wgb_l-61sc5UVsAi14Kx48piTUAjmYXJmIim_jINJlXQ=w800

Fat February ... and another lanolin-enriched soap adventure!

Mitchell's Wool Fat (Classic) Shaving Soap & Macy Associates No.4 w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Muhle Rocca w/Souplex Bakelite Handle & SuperMax Super Platinum (NOS) (1)
DR Harris Sandalwood Aftershave

Second half of another back to back between MWF latest formulation (last night) and the classic formula (tonight) ... and I really, really am leaning towards the latest vegetal formulation as my preference. Tonight's was a straight-up 10/10 shave what with the great soap and the quite amazing SuperMax blade which every time I use one I'm remind just how excellent they are - probably the smoothest blade I have across more than 150 unique blades!

Have a great weekend fellows!
Is that handle actually Bakelite or just plastic?

Is that handle actually Bakelite or just plastic?
I believe the earlier sets are indeed Bakelite while later ones (into the 1960s) are plastic. This particular handle is from an early set - the one with the curved guard rather than the later more angular guard and metal cap. Earlier ones are slightly more creamy and later ones have tighter striations and an ever-so slightly more bulbous end. Weights are different. Density is different. Sound from the flick test is different.

Yeah, Bakelite. Sure on that. The word is on the advertisements as well.

Back
Top Bottom