SOTD: Saturday 2 March - Friday 8 March 2024.

A second Razer blade after the first one rusted after one use (left in razor in bathroom overnight).
Matched it with the Pearl Flexi which has been really good with the Treet Dura Sharp. I got a very nice shave. Some slightly patchy areas but not many and not wide; started to get some irritation towards the end of the shave where I was pushing it to see how close I could get. I backed off when I realised the limits.
Blade has been taken out of razor, patted dry but left in the bathroom to see how it fares by tomorrow night's shave.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Pearl Flexi V5
Blade: Razer Professional
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Lather: Signature Londinium
Additional Care:
Myrsol Antesol

4 March

Mühle Aloe Vera shaving cream
Blackland Signature
Blackland Vector
Schick Proline
Proraso Sandalwood aftershave balm

16D124D4-0D5E-4F0F-9382-CA2671D1E0B1.jpeg
A change of blade, a new Schick, made all the difference. No tugging in today’s shave. It was as smooth as silk, and so was my face by the end of two passes. It was no doubt helped by the Mühle shaving cream which in my view is certainly as excellent as my TOBS creams. The scent of the Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Oil aftershave sample is interesting, very different to other sandalwood scents. Lovely sunny day for a change.

9D260nj.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: D.R. Harris H3 Best Badger
Soap: Dr Selby
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, APR Lavande Violette Aftershave Lotion

Terrific shave.

4/3/23

Soap - Haslinger Schafmilch
Brush - Yaqi Cashmere 22mm
Razor - Gillette NEW Flat Bottom
Blade - Gillette London Bridge (3)
AS - Williams Aqua Velva

I think I'm getting the hang of this particular razor at last, it is quite finicky with the angle. It can be a harsh if it's a touch too steep, but with the right angle it's comfortable with a blade as smooth as the Chinese made London Bridge.

IMG_20240304_165349.jpg

Monday 4th March

AP1GczPWMkENYrJkf7pJ10b80A65-I7b-7ne6MDb2bcS_C3QSg7aRrBxByoaEtGfGG7hElkndpQ-PU1s_UqFXrAh5PZ5RcQuT_ED7mO6PJwuL54xpyyMaDL9PPzE8gIv04VWpC7QrBkyustRgfcZmsOwxx9RRg=w800

Art of Shaving Sandalwood (Vintage/Tallow) Shaving Soap & Semogue SOC Butterscotch Pure Bristle
Muhle Rocca (Polished) w/Souplex Bakelite Handle & Astra Superior Platinum (India) (1)
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave Lotion

Super-excited to use my recently acquired vintage Art of Shaving soap. When I first came to traditional shaving in 2013, I had little appreciation for the drama that the shaving soap world had just been through with one, the move from tallowate to palmate and two, the unfolding Soapworks disaster - Art of Shaving was a soap spoken about very highly, particularly the older tallowate formulation.

... and they weren't wrong! What a phenomenal soap! Luxuriously thick and creamy, sensationally smooth and salaciously slick!

Excited, too, to try the Indian-made Astra Superior Platinum. Granted, I'm late to the party so don't really have a great deal to add to the debate, but my two penneth-worth is that these are sharper than the Russian, less smooth but that's no bad thing. Even after only the first few strokes, I noted that I would be happy to buy a hundred ... but to be fair, I was already sold what with it being an Indian-made blade. I like Indian blades and coming out of the P&G plant (or to Gillette's specifications) like the 7 O'Clock Black (and Green) this does not disappoint.

Swish!

So, that'll be my setup for the week. I'll rotate razors, keeping the rest the same.

Back
Top Bottom