SOTD : Saturday 5th May - Friday 11th May 2018.

Saturday 5th May 2018
SOTD 5 May.jpg
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + Bulldog face wash and Proraso white
Razor: Above the Tie SE1 Kronos
Blade: Feather Pro (#1)
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 band finest fan shape
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood
Bowl: Korium
AS: Acqua di Parma Colonia lotion
EDT: Acqua di Parma Colonia

First shave with the ATT SE1, very impressed, I can see why many others rate this razor so highly. I had been looking to get an SE2 for a while but when this SE1 came up at good price I went for it, I can always get an SE2 base plate now and I will have both.

SOTD - Saturday 05 May 2018

SOTD_20180505.jpg

• Straight Razor: Saponificio Varesino - Leonardo da Vinci - Custom Koraat 6/8
  • Shaving Brush: Declaration Grooming - 27mm Theodore Blood of Kings LE B3 (Select Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Faux Horn
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Stella Alpina - Beta 4.2
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Stella Alpina - Balm

Saturday
Prep: Hot towel
Pre shave: Prep
Razor: Weber ARC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: The 'Americana' (Shavemac 24/48 D01 2 Band)
Soap: Declaration Grooming 'Santal Auster'
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Barrister & Mann: Latha Taiga Post-Shave Splash
Fragrance: Xerjoff Richwood

What a wonderful shave.. the Weber simply shines with the GSB, and as for the 'Santal Auster'..... Scott, stand up and take a bow! ... This Icarus base is, without a doubt, head and shoulders above the 'regular' lineup.... definitely something special going on here!!

Barry,
Should get better after initial harshness of the blade wears off. An SE shave is one not to be rushed, not good
if you are in a hurry to go to work. See you are still liking the Brass General, I never bothered getting the S/S version as I was getting on well with my Mongoose & ATT SE.
By the way weather in your area was Atrocious last weekend. Was at Lee Valley and nearly froze.
Mike B
I'm still loving the General Mike.
I have had the 1912 for some months but have under appreciated it and thus used it infrequently. But I certainly won't be neglecting it now.
Your right about last weeks weather. Atrocious. Making up for it today I'm pleased to say. I hope you are getting some sunshine too.

SOTD 05/05/2018

Charcoal Soap
Old Spice (Vintage) Shaving Soap & Omega Professional Boar
Ever Ready 1912 'Shaving Man' Set & GEM Stainless (4)
Single Pass - WTG
Old Spice (Vintage) Aftershave
Vines' American Bay Rum Hair Tonic

----xXx----

What a delightful start to the Bank Holiday weekend ...

Out in the garden all day, loads of little chores done, one or two big jobs done and a couple of jokes made up out of bits I had left over which the Mrs loves - I built a little bar area at the end of one of our patios and an archway into the garden from the steps up ... which looks a bit like a Montana Ranch to my eyes. I just need a cow skull!

Just about to go and eat, and enjoy the evening sun.

Grilled chicken in pitta with salad. Chilli sauces a go-go!

Enjoy your evening, folks!​

Sat 5th May

Omega 11126 boar
L~Occitane Cade soap
Ever Ready 1912- Bathroom Set
Gem S/S [ 4 ]
Piralon Polar A/S Lotion

I have recently developed a liking for the ER 1912, having discovered that the later versions such as the Bathroom/Peerless sets actually shave very smoothly and are quite forgiving. My first experiences were not good and I really learnt in my early SE days to shave with a Streamline which became a favourite.

Today I had a lovely relaxed Shave, using the mantra - no rush with a light touch and no pressure. I was rewarded with a very comfortable Shave with a close all round finish. I find that a Shave with a 1912 takes a little longer than with the 1914/1924 but that extra time has its reward.

View attachment 35316
We have similar Bathroom Sets, Mike. Even down to the Corrux blades...

A late evening shave today.

OSP Bay Rum Soap
RazoRock 400 Plissoft Noir
Rockwell 6C plate 3
Old Stock English Wilkinson Sword (4)
Lime witch hazel (home mix)
Nivea 2 Phase Aftershave Lotion

Two days growth removed without fault.
I don't often use this Bay Rum Soap but it never fails to deiver. Easy to load and lather and performance is very good in all respects.
Fourth use of the Wilkie blade. It started to show signs that it's not at it's best during the second pass, but it's served me well.
It's just dawned on me that I haven't used my usual blade, Astra SP for quite a while due to me sampling other brands for a few weeks.
So, I'll use an Astra for my next shave paired with my Merkur 34C. A safe predictable combination IMO.
Finished with 2 Phase Aftershave Lotion. Fuss free, and it does a fair job.

Sotd - Saturday - 5/5-18

SR-Sotd4.jpg

Razor - Yaqi open comb on a Rockwell handle
blade - Gillette Nacet (1)
brush - Yaqi 24mm Aqua High mountain silvertip
soap - Wickham Citrus Musk
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Limon
balm - Bart's Bergamot and Vanilla
scent - Musgo Real Orange Amber cologne.

Result - nice - very nice

A knock at the door this morning - my two new Yaqi brushes! I must say that I'm impressed with dealing with the company. Ordered from China on the 28th of April - PayPal - arrived today - no hassle - tracked throughout. I need not have been anxious about the customs thing - the parcel I got today was sent on from a UK address. Feltham - wherever the f**k that may be. I guess they, Yaqi have a UK distribution point? The packaging was minimal - just cardboard - which is good. Two new badgers - first off the rank the Aqua High Mountain 24mm - it's a beautiful thing indeed. It's bigger than I expected for a 24mm knot - and that was before I got it wet. I was impatient enough to not bother with any prep on the knot - I soaked it and there was no 'dead wet dog by the fire' smell from it - if there had been I would have shampooed it - so just got stuck in. It's the first brush I own with the designation 'high mountain silvertip,' - I'm not a 100% sure what that means? Unfortunately there is no universal standard for the grading of badger hair. In my experience Simpsons best can be way better than others silvertip. Straight out the box I loved it - it was almost floppy but stopped short of that - a slight scritch to the knot perhaps - I think that will go with use but even if it doesn't that won't bother me. I like a bit of scritch. Face latherers will understand this. I've never used a brush quite like it - it lathered like a bas***d - the soap sitting high up in the knot - as it should. No lather hogging going on here. Didn't lose a hair. Fantastic for me - especially at £34.50 delivered. I'm impressed.
@AnthH - yes mate they did send me a free razor head - I don't know what you got but it was a open short comb sort of thing - why look a gift razor in the mouth I thought and used it. This head took me aback - it was superb. Certainly an assertive little fellow - but it gave me a wonderful shave - used with care. It's very light so I stuck it on a heavy handle - which worked for me. BBS in two passes - helped along the way with superior software. So - job done - a happy shaver - and I have another Yaqi brush - the two band Moka - to look forward to using. Yours - one and all - I.

Back
Top Bottom