SOTD: Saturday 8 June - Friday 14 June 2024.

Dog of the day Sat 8 Jun 2024

View attachment 121356
Bella
Collie Cross
2012-2024

Sorry if this breaks any forum rules, but instead of posting about tonight’s shave, which was quite nice actually, very calming. I would like to say something about my best friend and daemon, Bella (aka Woofles) who died peacefully in my arms at 10.15am today. We adopted her from The Dogs Trust when she was 4 and have been totally besotted with her for the last 8 years.

Since joining this forum, I have discovered that shaving, rather than a chore, can be something to look forward to and enjoy. And throughout the last year of learning and posting my attempts, Bella has been an intrinsic part of the rather aimless meandering’s of an old bloke about his shaves and dog walks. She has watched me from the bathroom door or waited outside the door during all my shaves, and led me through the park on each walk.

We thought, after a visit to the vet yesterday, that she was improving from her sudden decline, but this morning she could not stand or walk and was refusing food (unheard of for her) and I could not give her medicine. So back to the vet and after much difficult and painful discussion, we decided that we had to let her go.

So I am feeling bereft at the moment, and not sure how life will work without my constant companion. Of course my wife and I still have each other, but when she is shopping or whatever I always had my wonderful dog by my side. So I think I will take a little break from SOTD’s while I try to come to terms with the loss of my best friend and daemon.

But…
…I’ll be back!

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. My wishes and kindest thoughts to you.

A true star of SOTD's will be sorely missed

KSxhMfX.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Saponificio Varesino Two-band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger
Soap: Los Jabones de Joserra Black Rose
Razor: Blutt BR-1
Blade: Iridium Super BN-84 (6)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Los Jabones de Joserra Black Rose Balm
Scent: Czech & Speake No 88 EdC

820DF47A-9578-4B87-AFB5-E0E42C0F328C.jpeg

Preshave - Hot Soak
Razor - Reggie's Razors Jupiter
Blade - Shark SS
Brush - TSC Best Badger
Lather - Lea
Splash - Cella

Another very nice shave. Not much growth after yesterday’s shave (over 24 hours ago) which is a sign of an efficient razor for me.

Some others have mentioned the handle’s length, but it works fine for me.

Tech June-kies

Sunday 9th June

AP1GczMfx3X1T-wzJGGj6F-d909SbK5g1HnkQhZ7KgPuIknCQJpnJ9c2qiqX_cOvgzqqZVHtfKLinIdMo_77V1MUqrm2moL6CGaWBMHWlf6CPkURyKA2QTuHpXSdBkX1QvBMc-lRTQKhRAjabo9m2XAAx3BxCw=w800

TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Bowl & Omega 11137 Pure Bristle
Gillette Tech (post-War W1) & Gillette Silver Blue Stainless (4)
Imperial Leather Classic (Vintage) Aftershave

Almost a perfect score for that shave with perfect lather and the blade at its apex on the 4th shave. Single weeper, which is VERY rare for me which happened on my third pass, which is VERY rare for me to undertake unless I am really enjoying myself. I was!

So sorry to hear this. It’s never easy, but treasured memories never fade. Take care. Kindest Regards, Brian

View attachment 121356
Bella
Collie Cross
2012-2024

Sorry if this breaks any forum rules, but instead of posting about tonight’s shave, which was quite nice actually, very calming. I would like to say something about my best friend and daemon, Bella (aka Woofles) who died peacefully in my arms at 10.15am today. We adopted her from The Dogs Trust when she was 4 and have been totally besotted with her for the last 8 years.

Since joining this forum, I have discovered that shaving, rather than a chore, can be something to look forward to and enjoy. And throughout the last year of learning and posting my attempts, Bella has been an intrinsic part of the rather aimless meandering’s of an old bloke about his shaves and dog walks. She has watched me from the bathroom door or waited outside the door during all my shaves, and led me through the park on each walk.

We thought, after a visit to the vet yesterday, that she was improving from her sudden decline, but this morning she could not stand or walk and was refusing food (unheard of for her) and I could not give her medicine. So back to the vet and after much difficult and painful discussion, we decided that we had to let her go.

So I am feeling bereft at the moment, and not sure how life will work without my constant companion. Of course my wife and I still have each other, but when she is shopping or whatever I always had my wonderful dog by my side. So I think I will take a little break from SOTD’s while I try to come to terms with the loss of my best friend and daemon.

But…
…I’ll be back!

20240609_194659.jpg

Tech June-kies 2024 shave.

My first trip out this month and I wanted to use what was once my favourite going out shaver.
It's still a lovely razor and like a lot of my gear now it's not used nearly as often as I like.
Anyway a great excuse this month to give all my techs a run out.

Enjoy the night everyone.

SOTD 09-June
1000028064.jpg
Brush: Aurora Grooming - LG24
Soap: Zingari Man - The Master
Razor: GEM - Junior
Blade: GEM PTFE

Barbershop theme on the cards today, as amazing as it might seem I've never actually tried Zingari Man. I vaguely remember having a sample of one of their offerings when I started to expand the inventory, but I never actually got around to using it. That may have been a mistake, this was a decent performer and the scent was lovely. Dark and spicy, lovely for the naff weather today.

The brush was a nice surprise, though you can't really see it here. From Aurora Grooming, they put out a brush for the games. Cheap as chips and very nice. Fits nicely in the hand and whips up a grand lather.

Photo treasure hunt, 'Time', hence the random watch. But I think it works, Barbershop, timeless classic (if ill-defined) scent, I'm convinced it works even if no one else is!

Hope everyone has a good'un!

Cheers

Marc

1000015829.jpg

9/6/24

Soap - Signature Soaps Eboracum
Brush - Yaqi 22m Cashmere
Razor/Blade #1 - Yaqi Katana/Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge
Razor/Blade #2 - Gillette Canada Tech/Gillette Nacet
AS - Proraso Green

First shave for a few days so I got out the Katana for the first pass, Tech for the second. Glorious shave and lather with the Eboracum. I like my budget soaps, but this lather seems to perform better than the others.

I hope you had a good weekend gents.

View attachment 121356
Bella
Collie Cross
2012-2024

But…
…I’ll be back!

Ah man this is heartbreaking.

Thanks for posting up all those pictures of her for your SOTD pictures, I'd love looking at them and your reading your daily observations of her. I've had a few tough weeks myself, the pictures of Bella brought me some joy during some tough times.

Absolutely gutting.

RIP Woofles.

Gentlemen and those ladies amongst us, welcome. Welcome to my first entry for this new week of SOTD's and a shave themed, '1912 Overture'

20240608_203549.jpg

Overture - Ever Ready 1912
Underture - GEM
Overpants - Cadman 24mm Tuxedo
Underpants - Proraso
Overtones - L'Occitane Cade balm
Undertones - Van Cleef Ambre Imperial

'Are you sure about this Mr Tchaikovsky. Saucepan lids?'

In 1880 Photr IIyich Tchaikovsky started penning the musical score for his Solemn Overture OP.49 to commemorate the Russian defence against the Napoleonic invasion. The polar opposite of 2022. This piece would later be more popularly known as the 1812 Overture. It is lesser known that Tchaikovsky sported a beard because no one had invented the razor.

In 1912 Vladimir Aleksandr Ever Ready III set out to compose his own Overture and in the process accidently created a razor. A Eureka moment as his wife had sorely complained of itching thighs. He decided that it should be so named the 1912. It was also unfortunate that Tchaikovsky had passed away in 1893 still wearing a beard with no means to remove it. Mr Ever Ready's wife remained having itchy thighs. As Vladimir made mention, 'There is no way will my razor shift that's amount of hair you have on your bloody legs'.

In 1976 the Canadian band Rush created the album 2112 (complete with an Overture) but failed sadly to make a razor.

And my shave?

I actually always take great pleasure shaving with something which harks back to the 1920's, and something which always delivers. Mrs Satanfriendly says she also has something old, but apparently brings no pleasure. Or delivers either.

As it was, a flawless performance like it always acheives, even if to me it looks like the by-product of a guillotine for mice. It still strikes fear in me when using it. All to find it is really a fluffy kitten, or a headless mouse depending on which angle you look at it.

A super old fashion shave with a super old fashion finish. God, they must have been well shaven handsome men back in the day. Something I'm not.

Anyway. Someone new I came across by accident (a bit like razors), Rolling Quartz. Shite or not shite? ......

And don't forget, I love you all

View attachment 121391

9/6/24

Soap - Signature Soaps Eboracum
Brush - Yaqi 22m Cashmere
Razor/Blade #1 - Yaqi Katana/Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge
Razor/Blade #2 - Gillette Canada Tech/Gillette Nacet
AS - Proraso Green

First shave for a few days so I got out the Katana for the first pass, Tech for the second. Glorious shave and lather with the Eboracum. I like my budget soaps, but this lather seems to perform better than the others.

I hope you had a good weekend gents.
I gave this a "like", but it's only half a like because of that yaqi razor thing.

1717971075559.png

SOTN (Head & Face)

Aylsworth Apex SS+, Ladas
Yates Winning Razor V2 Ti, Rainbow
MSC Allura - soap & splash
Alpha Outlaw brush - G5D knot
Refinery Post Shave Balm

Plan for tonight for originally Apex on the face, Winning on the dome. A few strokes into the first pass and I began to wonder, what would the Apex be like. Queue perhaps the smoothest dome shave I've had with a stainless razor, not to mention one of the closest - this is something I'll definitely be doing more often.

1000011874.jpg

Back
Top Bottom