Storage for straights?

Arrowhead said:
I have a good supply of green baize offcuts if anyone is handy with a sewing machine ...
I've just dug out mine, did make myself a trenchcoat a few years back...
I'm missing a part, so until I find that, not yet, then I'll test it.
And it's probably cheaper for me to get it local, than send from the UK.

If I can get the machine to behave, might make a few for those interested.

Max

I'm considering getting into the garage to make a wooden storage/7 day box. The box isn't hard its just knowing how to divide the box or whether to put some kind of holding system in place so they don't rattle around.

Jeltz said:
I'm considering getting into the garage to make a wooden storage/7 day box. The box isn't hard its just knowing how to divide the box or whether to put some kind of holding system in place so they don't rattle around.

Would a peice of foam with the slots cut out to hold the razors not do? A peice of felt is not expensive in the likes of Focus.

hi guys i use these to store my straight's i have two of them and they hold my razors well they both cost me 5quid of amazon each there chisel pouches it holds 12 in one go all i did was turn it lenght wise and pinned it in side my cuboard door and it works great you cant grumble for a fiver
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k538/tazzbaby82/IMAG0045.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k53 ... AG0045.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Yes, there's some quite classy leather rolls for auger bits available, only thing is that leather and steel aren't a happy combination for long term storage. I reckon the felt socks are a good if not particularly exciting option, but really not the kind of thing you'd spend any money on at all (see location >).

Just out of interest, how many people would be interested in wooden boxes? For how many razors, and what sort of design? They'd lend themselves to small batch production, but as one offs there isn't much point.

Arrowhead said:
Yes, there's some quite classy leather rolls for auger bits available, only thing is that leather and steel aren't a happy combination for long term storage. I reckon the felt socks are a good if not particularly exciting option, but really not the kind of thing you'd spend any money on at all (see location >).

Just out of interest, how many people would be interested in wooden boxes? For how many razors, and what sort of design? They'd lend themselves to small batch production, but as one offs there isn't much point.

Depending on price, I'd be interested in a box for 7 (or 2 boxes of 7), wooden, lined with the felt like tissue (the green stuff you wrapped mine in), with 7 slots.
I've been toying with the idea myself, but your skills are way better than mine!
I'd also like to see a false bottom, or a side/top compartment where I can put a few silicia gel sachets.

Max

Felt or leather socks were what I was looking for. It wasn't for display just something to keep them in when they're locked away from prying eyes (wife) and tiny hands (daughter). The TI that I just bought came with a very nice leather sock, very soft.

Andy what happens to leather and steel over time that you don't recommend it?

I may just go for the felt ones from Olivias as they seem the best option for me.

I agree for display etc a nice lined wooden box would be lovely but not what I was looking for at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

FrenchBlade said:
Arrowhead said:

Depending on price, I'd be interested in a box for 7 (or 2 boxes of 7), wooden, lined with the felt like tissue (the green stuff you wrapped mine in), with 7 slots.
I've been toying with the idea myself, but your skills are way better than mine!
I'd also like to see a false bottom, or a side/top compartment where I can put a few silicia gel sachets.

Max

I would be interested in some boxes as well, a 7 blade box and also somwthing a bit bigger maybe 24 razor box would be a good size as well, totally agree on the bottom tray for silica gel.

Parwin said:
Jeltz said:

Would a peice of foam with the slots cut out to hold the razors not do? A peice of felt is not expensive in the likes of Focus.
Might well do, I think it would be nice to line any box.

I'd be interested in one, depending on design and cost. I think 7-12 razors would be good. Although at the rate I'm going, 7 may be too few :oops:

I think to keep costs down, a simple top-opening box with a couple of parallel bars with slots in would be the simplest solution (although open to suggestions). For me, I'd want there to be a slot at the back/side or space at the bottom to hold this securely:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170585775135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0585775135</a><!-- m -->

It has dimensions in the auction, but I can supply more accurate ones if you want.

Let us know what designs you come up with

Arrowhead said:

Well, we´ve talked about that before and I would be up for one or two :D Maybe one with space for 14, 7 in the bottom and a lift out tray with space 7 aswell? Would make more sense price wise I guess adn it wouldn´t take up much more space than a 7 day box ... Some humidors are constructed like that.

peg20 said:
I'd be interested in one, depending on design and cost. I think 7-12 razors would be good. Although at the rate I'm going, 7 may be too few :oops:

I think to keep costs down, a simple top-opening box with a couple of parallel bars with slots in would be the simplest solution (although open to suggestions). For me, I'd want there to be a slot at the back/side or space at the bottom to hold this securely:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170585775135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0585775135</a><!-- m -->

It has dimensions in the auction, but I can supply more accurate ones if you want.

Let us know what designs you come up with

I think a plain slot would be better to put silica gel(that can be bought in big bags for next to nothing) rather than made to fit a particular product, that you may break and not be able to get again, all you need really is a 10mm channel at back or side of box to stuff some silica in.

Back
Top Bottom