Tech June-kies 2023

Tuesday 27th June

AJFCJaWnFtcaKBVy3xG8834E_ZU7BbT2SQanLMBSapci1yEfYiP6D4KP-PrxY063H_QKGiVAwl96Vy8jK3ACLEJKYSloUYbw0TCht1n1TrjCiC3ROcNgOSaDV3eIvzCcCZhP6zEQKrPVTXDDQ_xLndQ-pwchUg=w800

Coty (Vintage) Avocado Shaving Bowl & Ever-Ready 600N Lucite w/Tuxedo Synthetic 26mm
Gillette Tech (British 1940s No.26) & Gillette Winner (2)
Speick Aftershave

All Techs are perfect, but some are more perfect than others ... and this was one of them.

Delightful!

Wednesday 28th June

AJFCJaVQVmuZI-f86j-z2HTLWGzkcWjxpgDgTqgiXFGMooeeVs-udEPiP8dkqmGUL2HmSteQeiyzBPFccbFB0VDsF90I5HVBEyvQ54v_hj9Fgu18T5DZbiq1Bpwuvc0xvI6H7b_a2ZeRl2roNJq7qsLo99k84Q=w800

Boots Albany (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Ever-Ready 600N Lucite w/Tuxedo Synthetic 26mm
Gillette Tech (British 1940s Milady) & Gillette Winner (3)
Pinaud (Vintage) Lilac Vegetal (as Aftershave)

Another absolutely delightful shave with this Milady Tech cementing the British flat-bottomed model as my favourite of the Techs.

28/6/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - Arko
Brush - Yaqi G4
Razor - Gillette 50's Aluminium Tech
Blade - Dorco Titan
Post - Effect Cucumber
AS - Makler Celebration

Another stinker of a shave. I managed to pick up a massive in grown on the first pass! I don't think the blade/razor were sharp enough for 2/3 days worth of growth. I finished the shave with a few splashes of Makler Celebration. A glorious aftershave! A light old school citrus scent, sits nicely on the skin too. A great lather too. The Arko Man never fails.

That was earlier ... took away the taste of the Arko.

However ... body splash? Presumably its original intended use. I put (as Aftershave) whenever I used something that's not actually aftershave as an aftershave, usually a Cologne. Reckon the Veg falls into that category.
Does it not say "After Shave Lotion"?

s-l400.jpg

I did find this...

2018-11-30-LilacVegetal-860-768x587.jpg

Ed. Pinaud’s Lilac Vegetal
December 4, 1909
Perfume has always been a traditional gift, but this one has a unique twist. Edouard Penaud ostensibly created Lilac Vegetal as an aftershave for the Hungarian cavalry.

Does it not say "After Shave Lotion"?

IMG_3446.jpeg

It does actually, but in full:

"Delightful for use be-fore and after shaving - Also a superior body rub down." < lovely hyphenation

Pre-shave, post-shave, body splash, mouthwash ...

On the back, there's reference to their Eau de Quinine, which is the hair tonic. I've got longer hair now, but really enjoyed their hair tonics when my hair was shorter.

I did find this...

2018-11-30-LilacVegetal-860-768x587.jpg

Ed. Pinaud’s Lilac Vegetal
December 4, 1909
Perfume has always been a traditional gift, but this one has a unique twist. Edouard Penaud ostensibly created Lilac Vegetal as an aftershave for the Hungarian cavalry.

Historical blog article here: https://varanisridari.home.blog/2019/11/17/lilac-vegetal-by-pinaud-1880/

Like the proverbial cavalrymen, the Veg is my good luck splash at fencing competitions - if anything, the chemical warfare effect might help.

This vintage bottle that I have is a lighter, more floral, more powdery verson. I don't think that is just that it might have lost potency over the decades, I think it's also sweeter. The modern Veg is a pungent powerhouse and possibly a bit of a caricature.

Thursday 29th June

AJFCJaVcr3RWl7szRnKS9TMGCOM1ZrUuGk5eXd5l11-k96e1y66CBP0b36jejHK_op4BCzcOoXGhp22Tt903i7c_bfS2z8-jf5-essuxzZ2XIa8hMAf4yiTf0QIrErcFDaSKSPhm5tTXguUW7iE9VDVc6A20pQ=w800

Yardley Black Label (Vintage) Shaving Stick & Ever-Ready 600N Lucite w/Tuxedo Synthetic 26mm
Gillette Tech (British 1950s Institutional Razor) & Gillette Winner (4)
Yardley Black Label (Vintage) Aftershave

Institutional? Okay, the Psycho ...

What puzzles me is that this is a 1956 razor (according to the date code) but has a post-1962 head. Yes, although fixed to the handle the head is that of the 1962 onwards with the cutout four corners. No Gillette stamping on the top cap.

With a quick check on Mr Razor for anything else like this in the 1950s and he also shows only a Psycho (1958) of this ilk before we're into the 1960s to find that head. There is the full nickel British Tech with the '50s head and heavy spiral handle popularised as aluminium in the 1960s. Curious.

Well, I've had a fun month, not that I have been posting many of my shaves lately.

Of all of my Techs, the British flat bottom fat handle in the Set #27 that I have provided me with the best shave, followed closely be the late 40s fat handle that I bought as NOS in a bidding war on the bay.

I was pleasantly surprised that one of the ball handle ones that's a bit weightier gave a great shave too. I find with the lighter ones, I occasionally get a nick as more pressure is required.

Not pictured are the sets that are loaned out to my son and brother in law. These were definitely used throughout June by both of them.

Blades wise, for me, Nacet works better. However, honourable mentions must go to perma sharp, Wizamets and Bolzano blades respectively.

Attachments

• 20230603_150906.jpg
    20230603_150906.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 6
That's a nice collection @Duffers782

While I worked in my favourites from each period, I also worked in a few I'd either not used much or never at all. Surprises for me were just how much I enjoyed the humble 1950s British Aluminium baseplate variant and also just how seriously good the cheapo bakelite model from the 1940s was. I've barely ever used my Psycho, but got a great shave ... cut above the 1960s that shares the same head.

For you tech june-kies and vintage experts, do you know how much these might have sold for back in the day? I'm coming up blank, my Google skills are lacking.

I think the one on the left is a 1956 ball end tech (made in England) . The one on the right I'm not sure I could figure the date unless I had the original blades (2T under the cap) .
20230709_171520.jpg
20230709_171544.jpg

Back
Top Bottom