Tech June-kies 2023

Monday 19th June

AJFCJaX_jagjDhJLkGzxGUwfMOUsTyNV2Z8VJBeMUKWMcb9extZsIPZbE9UvbTfshPl6BjYszHOQFFU6SbEuDXW9TWetZU140gwzExQzZe1F3uF31cge1ikBSG-sjFGqfjbJM5n3eXT0hYHPp2GG22QazWWTGg=w800

Bath House Orange Flower Shaving Soap & PAA Doppler Perihelion Synthetic 26mm
Gillette Tech (1960s British) & Gillette Rhino (1)
Ach Brito Eau de Cologne (as Aftershave)

Continuing my run through the decades of the Gillette Tech and this week, it's the 1960s ...

AJFCJaURiKru5zKtxCODRMw2zGyPsAIh-U2x7dHCJyq8IvzTmWkT3FWkRABXoLR16nS8wf07J9rdgpJvrybjvLXLc_wfRmbX0hPRXHcpd_SANxnk_T8Po23ppmuAE4y91b1ji4ML825UItwW3wtJe-xJfAojIA=w800

Through the week, it'll be the regular comb and then over to the open comb variant for the weekend. Notice that the Gillette stamp is not the usual type, which I believe reflects a more European mainland designation as I've seen this stamp more regularly in French and German markets.

I've adjusted the photograph to really draw out what really is patina on these well plated heads.

Have a Tech-tastic week, folks!

Monday 19th June

AJFCJaX_jagjDhJLkGzxGUwfMOUsTyNV2Z8VJBeMUKWMcb9extZsIPZbE9UvbTfshPl6BjYszHOQFFU6SbEuDXW9TWetZU140gwzExQzZe1F3uF31cge1ikBSG-sjFGqfjbJM5n3eXT0hYHPp2GG22QazWWTGg=w800

Bath House Orange Flower Shaving Soap & PAA Doppler Perihelion Synthetic 26mm
Gillette Tech (1960s British) & Gillette Rhino (1)
Ach Brito Eau de Cologne (as Aftershave)

Continuing my run through the decades of the Gillette Tech and this week, it's the 1960s ...

AJFCJaURiKru5zKtxCODRMw2zGyPsAIh-U2x7dHCJyq8IvzTmWkT3FWkRABXoLR16nS8wf07J9rdgpJvrybjvLXLc_wfRmbX0hPRXHcpd_SANxnk_T8Po23ppmuAE4y91b1ji4ML825UItwW3wtJe-xJfAojIA=w800

Through the week, it'll be the regular comb and then over to the open comb variant for the weekend. Notice that the Gillette stamp is not the usual type, which I believe reflects a more European mainland designation as I've seen this stamp more regularly in French and German markets.

I've adjusted the photograph to really draw out what really is patina on these well plated heads.

Have a Tech-tastic week, folks!
The OC wasn't sold as a "Tech" was it, what did they call it?

The OC wasn't sold as a "Tech" was it, what did they call it?

We can call it what we like, it can't hear us!

AJFCJaU9v8Ab4osw0agcqOM_O-HW4cy286oHw6cV2WAoXx_hV8X-zSW3ox0FdqfJK_v5YKcpCIX6XwHgg28Ko49zHjM78kgjFFDSRd_7vRGTJ0Xzd8_ps6ufs87y3jikw2yT0W14Wo_cygJy4pMGyGn2mj9R3A=w800

Yeah, no "Tech" on this sales board but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then ...

True, the British flat-bottom or raised flat-bottom 'New' were never called open comb Techs even though there was both a flat-bottom and raised flat-bottom Tech that looked identical in every other way. In this particular case, the Tech was already well established and this variant was no doubt the Tech pattern, just stamped out with an open comb.

So, while there is no definitive proof (that anyone appears to have actually seen) that the open comb is a "Tech" ... there's no definitive proof that is it isn't.

Here's an advert showing what we clearly know as a "Tech" (bottom right) but that word is not used anywhere on the advert:

6a10d2bd8cd8d69e45acc22b529044f7.jpg

Likewise, actual razor packaging does not use the word "Tech" in a number of examples:

1979%20Tech%20Z4.jpg

1963%20Tech%20England.jpg

1968%20(N1)%20Nickel%20Tech%20Canada%20from%20Maxime%20Desmarais.jpg

... but we'd never say that these are not Techs.

One specific and interesting departure from previous razors (assuming we're using them correctly) is that the Old-type and New-types work best when angle is taken from the cap and the technique known as cap-riding is followed - the guard does not come into place and if you have striations in your lather from the comb then your angle is wrong. The comb is simply there to stop the blade beaching into your face and combed so that it doesn't clog up.

... with the advent of the Tech, presumably many folks were shaving more frequently (if not daily) and so we can see that the Tech recommended taking the angle from the guard. The guard would "smooth the skin" presumably in a kind of ripple effect, lifting the follicules to present to the blade. Look at the "tech"nology on Gillette's Fusion cartridges, what with the alignment fins and friction bars. It all started here with the Tech.

20/6/23

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Soap - Tallow Tabac Stick
Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 22mm
Razor - Gillette FB Tech on Yaqi Handle
Blade - Gillette Nacet Stainless (2)
Post - Lea Balm
AS - Chat d'Or Boxter

I've been using this FBT for a few days in a row and it is a really smooth razor in the shave.

IMG_20230620_120637.jpg

Tq9sePl.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glicerlanolina Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus High Mountain White Badger
Soap: Spearhead Seaforth Spiced
Razor: Wolfman WR-1
Blade: Vintage NOS German-packed Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (3)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Barrister and Mann Reserve Spice Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Phoenix & Beau Night Witch Balm

Well I've done 12 shaves with my Fat Tech and got to know the razor a bit better.
It provides a decent shave but I find it a little more aggressive than I'd like. Didn't think I'd say that about a Tech, but then not all Techs are created equal.
It's a decent razor and a keeper but will only be used occasionally, like it was before.
I've decided to retire a little early from the Tech Junekies challenge and switch back to my trusty mk1 Gillette Adjustable.

Back
Top Bottom