Closed UK Pass Around: Bunny Razor V3 - Finished.

Yup.
That is what I am busting to try first. (I just wasn't going to admit it out loud (and then darn, someone else did it first :)))
I have tried clamping the twin into a de but the blade doesn't stick out far enough to counter act the curve of the top cap.
The angle isn't flat enough.
I have ideas but don't have the time to try them quite yet.
*tries not to get excited again *

@Tall_Paul has asked to be skipped so I've PMed @Boab for his details.

I had my final shave with the Bunny last night - WILD comb with the same Chick blade on its eighth use. This was probably the closest shave of the eight I've had with the Bunny It's a good level of aggression. Unusually for me, it did draw blood but that's got to be down to user error and a blade that's on its way out.

Yup.
That is what I am busting to try first. (I just wasn't going to admit it out loud (and then darn, someone else did it first :)))
I have tried clamping the twin into a de but the blade doesn't stick out far enough to counter act the curve of the top cap.
The angle isn't flat enough.
I have ideas but don't have the time to try them quite yet.
*tries not to get excited again *

Note that Schick also made DE Twin blades - the 2002s. Readily available on places like eBay and are designed in the same way as their injector twins - but with DE blades.
I rather like them myself.

Apologies, I didn't think.

Any opinions on cleaning/polishing? It's had a dip in boiled water and scrub with Fairy Liquid but that's it. I'm loathe to use anything harsher or to polish it if part of the testing is to see how it stands up to use.

This morning:

image.jpg

Apologies, I didn't think.

Any opinions on cleaning/polishing? It's had a dip in boiled water and scrub with Fairy Liquid but that's it. I'm loathe to use anything harsher or to polish it if part of the testing is to see how it stands up to use.

This morning:

image.jpg
This is not a patina experiment like the Hone Type 15 pass around. I have no objections to keeping the Bunny shiny... I have used a tiny bit of Autosol and the ultrasonic cleaner before changing blades with no ill effects..

Note that Schick also made DE Twin blades - the 2002s. Readily available on places like eBay and are designed in the same way as their injector twins - but with DE blades.
I have wondered about those.
Are they stiffer than the single blade do we know?

Readily available for you, maybe. 5-7 quid for a pack of 4 is just about acceptable for the novelty, but they only ever show up from the US with around £10 shipping. Ouch. 4 blades. 10 quid.

Readily available for you, maybe. 5-7 quid for a pack of 4 is just about acceptable for the novelty, but they only ever show up from the US with around £10 shipping. Ouch. 4 blades. 10 quid.

Yikes that's way too expensive.
I think I paid $5 for a pack shipped and I felt that was on the high end of things

Sorry I should have checked UK costs

So here are my final thoughts. I've used the Bunny eight times with the same Chick blade - spending the first four shaves using the NOTSO comb before playing with the other two.

Please take my contributions to this with a pinch of salt. Objectivity in shaving reviews is an illusion. I have developed my own preferences and motor skills through learned experience. A razor may or may not excel for me within those parameters.

Form
The aesthetics of the razor work. It's certainly different from anything else out there despite the design nods to Personna and Schick F injectors. It's not really my bag but it's certainly a striking design.

However, this particular model does not seem to be standing up well to regular use. There are scratches everywhere (and I can only assume that everyone's treated the razor carefully) and the metal does tarnish. A good polish does restore the finish somewhat but it would annoy my perfectionist tendencies. There is the aforementioned issue with the spring too.

Function
The comb change is seamless. The ease with which combs slots into place is remarkable. Yes, there is a fear that the screw will disappear down the plughole but logic dictates that you change combs in a safer location. It's not as simple a solution as a Gillette Adjustable, for example, but I reckon that most people will use one of the comb options for most shaves.

I had feared that the razor would quickly gunk up with dried lather after use but that wasn't the case. It rinses clean fairly well and, because you can remove the comb, you can access and clean most of the parts. As much as you can with an injector razor, anyway.

A note on the handle: it's excellent. I find the shape very comfortable and it's perfectly secure. The metal provides sufficient grip without knurling.

In use
Firstly, the positives. The blade provides a very smooth experience. I can tell that the razor has been configured to minimise points of contact with the skin whilst the guard and comb(s) still serve their function. On that note, the NOTSO comb is spot on. The MILD and WILD combs could be dialled up or down a notch but they live up to the promise in their current incarnation. In terms of the shaves, the results were always close enough with negligible-to-no irritation (two passes).

The downsides. The head is too bulky for me. The weight distribution is fine due to the relatively lightweight materials but I prefer a slimmer shape for better 'control'. Secondly, the angle is too exaggerated. I had acclimatised to it by the fifth shave but it never felt natural. Keep in mind that I have mostly been using Ever Ready and GEM SEs (with an injector or Feather AC thrown in) for the last six months.

Verdict
I have very much enjoyed playing with the Bunny. It's an exciting project and thanks to all involved. The thoughts I have tried to express above lead me to conclude that the Bunny isn't the razor for me - I stand by my initial observations after my first shave(s). Nevertheless, the experience has helped me to understand more about what I value in razors.

So here are my final thoughts. I've used the Bunny eight times with the same Chick blade - spending the first four shaves using the NOTSO comb before playing with the other two.

Please take my contributions to this with a pinch of salt. Objectivity in shaving reviews is an illusion. I have developed my own preferences and motor skills through learned experience. A razor may or may not excel for me within those parameters.

Form
The aesthetics of the razor work. It's certainly different from anything else out there despite the design nods to Personna and Schick F injectors. It's not really my bag but it's certainly a striking design.

However, this particular model does not seem to be standing up well to regular use. There are scratches everywhere (and I can only assume that everyone's treated the razor carefully) and the metal does tarnish. A good polish does restore the finish somewhat but it would annoy my perfectionist tendencies. There is the aforementioned issue with the spring too.

Function
The comb change is seamless. The ease with which combs slots into place is remarkable. Yes, there is a fear that the screw will disappear down the plughole but logic dictates that you change combs in a safer location. It's not as simple a solution as a Gillette Adjustable, for example, but I reckon that most people will use one of the comb options for most shaves.

I had feared that the razor would quickly gunk up with dried lather after use but that wasn't the case. It rinses clean fairly well and, because you can remove the comb, you can access and clean most of the parts. As much as you can with an injector razor, anyway.

A note on the handle: it's excellent. I find the shape very comfortable and it's perfectly secure. The metal provides sufficient grip without knurling.

In use
Firstly, the positives. The blade provides a very smooth experience. I can tell that the razor has been configured to minimise points of contact with the skin whilst the guard and comb(s) still serve their function. On that note, the NOTSO comb is spot on. The MILD and WILD combs could be dialled up or down a notch but they live up to the promise in their current incarnation. In terms of the shaves, the results were always close enough with negligible-to-no irritation (two passes).

The downsides. The head is too bulky for me. The weight distribution is fine due to the relatively lightweight materials but I prefer a slimmer shape for better 'control'. Secondly, the angle is too exaggerated. I had acclimatised to it by the fifth shave but it never felt natural. Keep in mind that I have mostly been using Ever Ready and GEM SEs (with an injector or Feather AC thrown in) for the last six months.

Verdict
I have very much enjoyed playing with the Bunny. It's an exciting project and thanks to all involved. The thoughts I have tried to express above lead me to conclude that the Bunny isn't the razor for me - I stand by my initial observations after my first shave(s). Nevertheless, the experience has helped me to understand more about what I value in razors.

Thanks for the great writeup. I truly appreciate the honest and detailed feedback.

Thank you for participating in this little experiment.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom