Acquisitions 1st January to 31st January 2016

Better Be Good- Visited PO to pay Customs & Handling fee! Who said they were as cheap as chips ?

Very Nice condition Schick Adjuster. Now need load it up, as no blade in it at the moment. Will speak to a man who knows.

IMG_0272.jpg

I fancy trying a heavier handle so bought this one. I'm thinking of pairing it with an English Gillette Tech head.

sshandle.jpg

I fancy trying a heavier handle so bought this one. I'm thinking of pairing it with an English Gillette Tech head.

It's a heavy one alright. I've found it difficult to match up with a razor head because its weight kind of pulls the balance away from the head. Combined with a Tech it might be like your face and the head being opposing magnets - you mightn't be able to get close enough to shave at all :D

The best match I found was for a Weber head (like Weber's own handle) but by Sods' Law the neck of the handle is a tiny bit wider than the fitting at the Weber baseplate. It screws onto the head ok but isn't flush with the baseplate - works but surprisingly annoying to look at.

Let us know how you go.

Last edited:
Here is the Tech head I'll try with the handle above.

It was listed as a "Ladies razor" but after a bit of research, it seems the only Gillette Tech razors with a head like this and "made in England" stamped below the hole were part of 1940's service sets, so called because they were issued to servicemen during WW2. The "bars" on service set heads are apparently slightly different to other techs too, with an additional lip running along the bottom of each bar.

On this razor the plate on the cap and bars looks to have completely worn through to the brass but it's still a nice looking razor and even though the standard handle looks and feels great, I'm looking forward to cleaning the head up and trying it with the new handle. :)

Here it is, uncleaned and as it arrived:

giltech1.jpg

giltech2.jpg

giltech3.jpg

giltech4.jpg

Edit: I posted at the same time as the previous post. Yes, the COG of my replacement handle is towards the bottom and I did wonder if I'd be chasing the razor around the bathroom. :D Fortunately, with the (solid) tech head on the end, the COG has moved up to around the second gripped area from the top. I'll see how I get on but I want to try the razor with its original handle first, it seems wrong not to.

Last edited:
Here is the Tech head I'll try with the handle above.

It was listed as a "Ladies razor" but after a bit of research, it seems the only Gillette Tech razors with a head like this and "made in England" stamped below the hole were part of 1940's service sets, so called because they were issued to servicemen during WW2. The "bars" on service set heads are apparently slightly different to other techs too, with an additional lip running along the bottom of each bar.

On this razor the plate on the cap and bars looks to have completely worn through to the brass but it's still a nice looking razor and even though the standard handle looks and feels great, I'm looking forward to cleaning the head up and trying it with the new handle. :)

Here it is, uncleaned and as it arrived:

giltech1.jpg

giltech2.jpg

giltech3.jpg

giltech4.jpg

Edit: I posted at the same time as the previous post. Yes, the COG of my replacement handle is towards the bottom and I did wonder if I'd be chasing the razor around the bathroom. :D Fortunately, with the (solid) tech head on the end, the COG has moved up to around the second gripped area from the top. I'll see how I get on but I want to try the razor with its original handle first, it seems wrong not to.

Very nice, I had to stop myself bidding on that. :D

@fancontroller Here's the Tech head after a scrub and light polish on the new handle. The brass is quite blemished where parts of the old plate remain but I quite like the way it looks so won't polish them out completely.

I might have to break my "original handle first" rule and try this out tonight. :)

franken1.jpg

franken3.jpg

@Hishg ah, did you see it too? Still, that's a very nice New you picked up recently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom