Acquisitions 1st Mar - 31st Mar 2016

Schick N1 with at least 10 NOS blades.

25944502331_89f68a9c99_c.jpg

25406273554_90fbbc6bbe_c.jpg

Another vintage Floris No. 89 shaving soap arrived today.
Now I may have enough.... Maybe.
kQwy6pT.jpg

Oh man, that's a lot of wonderfulness right there,

You certainly have a good eye when it comes to your SOTD items and this soap is giving me a 'shave and a haircut' moment. Ever see that part in (Roger Rabbit?). Almost out of control.

I still have many years back sellers remorse from unloading some vintage Floris soaps because the scent didn't thrill me. Kicked myself later when I was more experienced and then realized how good that stuff was. Hard to find a better performer for sure. Hah, look at em all sitting there!

Nice having those as backup in the arsenal,

Martin

I still have many years back sellers remorse from unloading some vintage Floris soaps because the scent didn't thrill me. Kicked myself later when I was more experienced and then realized how good that stuff was.

Martin

Yes, I previously had several vintage Floris shaving soaps and sold them all before figuring out my stupidity and starting to collect again. Live and learn.

I recently acquired a Gillete HD fatboy.

To be honest, I don't understand why these are popular. Not very smooth at all. Tuggy, a nick or two every shave.

Tried it with Gillette silver blue, 7 o clock yellows and an Astra SP.

Maybe it's just me. I shall consider it a collection piece for the time being.

To be honest, I don't understand why these are popular. Not very smooth at all. Tuggy, a nick or two every shave.

You have it tightened the last quarter turn, right? It's also possible its setting is off. I have to admit, I love mine and as good as its condition is, I'd love a NOS or a replate. Definitely on the right track blade wise though.

A fatboy or a hd?

Received a couple of things in the mail late this week:

1) Vintage hand painted "barber" shaving brush
Now this is Americana at its finest - I love this little guy!
I am torn between a re-knot and use...or just having it sitting on the shelf commandeering the other brushes.

mn0n69.jpg

On the base of the brush it says "Set in rubber" and there is this stamp on the back of the brush;
20fzrcj.jpg

I don't think I'll ever know what company made it - or when - but if anyone does have a clever guess I'd love hear it.

2) Chinese lipstick cartridge razor
Maybe not quite the same build quality as the brush above - but this Chinese lipstick razor was $3 and I will absolutely try it out!

Closed it's very compact:
5f5da1.jpg

By turning the knob at the base the razor head emerges and swivels to position.
I have to say, a rather entertaining design.
The lid contains a small brush for your small cleaning needs.
5ulm44.jpg

That's why I thought I would ask, I love a fatboy and get smooth nick free shaves every time, but the hd is a diffrent matter as I also find it tuggy

Yeah the HD requires a particular blade alright. Best I found is the Perma-Sharp Super. Can't remember offhand which blade I used in it first but the result wasn't as pretty as the razor!

Received a couple of things in the mail late this week:

1) Vintage hand painted "barber" shaving brush
Now this is Americana at its finest - I love this little guy!
I am torn between a re-knot and use...or just having it sitting on the shelf commandeering the other brushes.

mn0n69.jpg

On the base of the brush it says "Set in rubber" and there is this stamp on the back of the brush;
20fzrcj.jpg

I don't think I'll ever know what company made it - or when - but if anyone does have a clever guess I'd love hear it.

2) Chinese lipstick cartridge razor
Maybe not quite the same build quality as the brush above - but this Chinese lipstick razor was $3 and I will absolutely try it out!

Closed it's very compact:
5f5da1.jpg

By turning the knob at the base the razor head emerges and swivels to position.
I have to say, a rather entertaining design.
The lid contains a small brush for your small cleaning needs.
5ulm44.jpg
That's the equivalent of a 'My little pony' shave brush. Throw it away - or even better burn it so that no trace is ever left of the monstrosity.

Also received this lot.

Each item was $2.50 each:

Three NIB, all metal, gold Merkur MIIs
9amuts.jpg

And three brushes (two pure badger and the one in the stag horn handle is some terrabad synthetic).
The ones to the left and right are Conk brushes but not sure about the one in the middle.
The one on the far right is actually rather attractive in person.
2efnf2f.jpg

I now have eight Merkur MIIs so I think I'm done and have passed my "secret MII contact" on to @Sabre :D

Back
Top Bottom