Badgerandhone.com - NOW OPEN!

Badgerandhone staff,

Of all the vendors I know of you are the only ones who have free shipping on all orders in the UK regardless of size. That's remarkable!
Now there are vendors who offer free shipping but at the cost of spending $50, $60 and generally $100 or more. If only vendors were like this in the US. Again welcome aboard you've great products! May your business flourish my friend. Thank you.

I am not trying to take the negative view but we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch. Shipping does cost money and to offer free shipping the vendor must absorb or offset that cost somewhere else. Since with many online retailers postage is not optional it is a necessity, apart from the few people who happen to stay close to the establishment, then free shipping or more accurately "included shipping" prices are more transparent and much easier for the customer.

Free P&P can become a millstone for the vendor, if there is no incentive to group my items because the P&P does not change then I can order one item every week for the next four weeks and it is more cost to absorb for them so even with free shipping I do still try to wait and gather up a few items I want if at all possible.

I agree that it would be good if every vendor did this but if you do sell on eBay because you don't want to run a site then you pay listing fees and final value fees on the item end price but not on the shipping. So if you include shipping eBay actually add to the cost that it takes the seller to send you the item in addition to the percentage of the final value you paid for it. This can work against you if you of the item is priced individually with postage for one item but you want multiples. For a while I seen a rash of items that had such a low price but excessive postage and this was nothing more than a ploy to avoid some of the excessive fees. eBay made it a bit stinky when they started mandating free shipping on some items like DVD's, it just drove up the BIN price and multiple item postage discounts disappeared because they are free P&P.

Badgerandhone have indeed set the bar with this offer especially if the intent (which has been said) is to continue it indefinitely. The 1\2 price cream will be like white paint in B&Q, sell at cost or as a loss leader in the hope that you pick up something else (or return for something later) where they are making money. Sensible and hopefully a successful strategy for them. It does make it harder to resist pushing the "buy" button.

Good luck to them.

What would be good chaps is that we all seem happy with the products and service ?, just write a short review and PM it to them, they can put it on the Testomonial bit on the site.

Doesn't cost us anything and can help them with future sales.....will benefit us if they stay in business !! ;)

I have already done so.

Steve

Audiolab said:
I am not trying to take the negative view but we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch. Shipping does cost money and to offer free shipping the vendor must absorb or offset that cost somewhere else. Since with many online retailers postage is not optional it is a necessity, apart from the few people who happen to stay close to the establishment, then free shipping or more accurately "included shipping" prices are more transparent and much easier for the customer.

Free P&P can become a millstone for the vendor, if there is no incentive to group my items because the P&P does not change then I can order one item every week for the next four weeks and it is more cost to absorb for them so even with free shipping I do still try to wait and gather up a few items I want if at all possible.

I agree that it would be good if every vendor did this but if you do sell on eBay because you don't want to run a site then you pay listing fees and final value fees on the item end price but not on the shipping. So if you include shipping eBay actually add to the cost that it takes the seller to send you the item in addition to the percentage of the final value you paid for it. This can work against you if you of the item is priced individually with postage for one item but you want multiples. For a while I seen a rash of items that had such a low price but excessive postage and this was nothing more than a ploy to avoid some of the excessive fees. eBay made it a bit stinky when they started mandating free shipping on some items like DVD's, it just drove up the BIN price and multiple item postage discounts disappeared because they are free P&P.

Badgerandhone have indeed set the bar with this offer especially if the intent (which has been said) is to continue it indefinitely. The 1\2 price cream will be like white paint in B&Q, sell at cost or as a loss leader in the hope that you pick up something else (or return for something later) where they are making money. Sensible and hopefully a successful strategy for them. It does make it harder to resist pushing the "buy" button.

Good luck to them.

Audiolab,

Many great points mate! It's not at all negative. You're being realistic. I agree with you as I know it's competitive everywhere. Truth be told I go back to this one vendor and pay shipping with every order. I know I can go to other vendors that offer the "Free shipping over $100" but I much prefer the vendor I go to now.

As for egay, I'm so reticent selling there and I know they now require you include insurance in your postage fees. I've been wanting to sell this Wilkinson's for some time but I know no one's going to pay $50-$60 for it and I run risk of having to pay again for re-listing. I haven't sold in years so I'm not sure if that's the case now.

With regards to high postage I can relate to that because I too have seen low priced-loss leaders only to have $10 or $25 shipping. I mean come now I know it cost $4.95 for up to 4lbs with Priority mail ( 3-5 business days ) but a Rolls Razor does not cost $10 to ship-and it's not even Priority! Indeed, I dealt with 2 different sellers one with cheaper shipping and other at $10 range. I know for most it's their livelihood while for some they're just trying to get rid of stuff. So to make money off an item they resort to high postage to elude egay's 8% or so of final value.

Audiolab said:

Good luck to them.

Thanks for all your comments!

You’re right Audiolab, Shipping is defiantly not free to us, and we do have to pay the Royal Mail!

We all are avid online shoppers and it's always annoyed us that we have to pay, for example, £5.95 postage regardless of whether we buy a single feather or a 1 tonne block of concrete. Sometimes you come across a great deal only to be disappointed when you reach the checkout and realise that you’re expected to pay double the item cost in shipping. We have decided to keep 'free' UK shipping as long as we are in business.

We treat shipping as a cost, the same as electricity, stock etc. Sure the cost is ultimately passed on to the product price, but we find doing it this way only adds pennies rather than pounds. We think this is a lot fairer for all :)

Cheers,

Joe,
B&H

Received great service from this vendor, there is still some open ground between TGS & Connaught that can be filled and i hope these gents’ endeavours reward them.

Happy customer... :shave :hungrig :)

Likewise, I received my ToOBS Rose & Lime creams today. The boxes were a tiny bit dinted, but I blame that on Royal Mail & co-workers, not the Vendor as the packing job was more than competent - and the posties & co-workers can be more than incompetent at times. ;P

Thanks B&H.

Urban Hermit said:
Likewise, I received my ToOBS Rose & Lime creams today. The boxes were a tiny bit dinted, but I blame that on Royal Mail & co-workers, not the Vendor as the packing job was more than competent - and the posties & co-workers can be more than incompetent at times. ;P

Thanks B&H.

Apologies for the dinted boxes Urban Hermit! Was your order packed in a Jiffy Bag or boxed?

Jiffied with light bubble-wrap lining - but not to worry unduly, for I would have dented them by the time I got them home from the office anyway. They were fine, and very few folks will see the boxes either.

;)

Apologies guys! I know some people like to keep the boxes.

You sometimes have to wonder what goes on between posting and delivery don't you? :roll:

Even with out posties playing "Full-Contact Extreme MMA Pass-the-Parcel" - in cleats and spiked body armour - I have found that no matter how much bubble-wrap used, unless the light-weight boxes are packed in other boxes, there's very likely to be some dents, tears, creases and such.

Even packing them too tightly in the bubble-wrap can cause the damage.

As I've said though, for my personal use, these boxes won't be seen by many folks anyway. As long as they get my stuff safely to me without the damage to the contents, I'm fairly fine with things. If it was a rare product, or a special edition or decorative box, etc., it might be different, but then, I'd expect a bit more care, and possibly even inquire regarding shipping options, in that case.

I was only ever really shocked by poor packaging by one ebay vendor from India, for a tube of shave cream. it was either such a cheap, poorly made, or incredibly old, Jiffy envelope, that the sides' glue had given out, and the flimsy bubble lining was held to the outer, paper layer by 2 or 3 staples at each end through the fold-over flappy-bits. Even then, the stuff got to me OK, so I only gave neutral instead of negative feedback.

Gentleman,

We have been receiving a large number of enquires every week requesting that we stock Mama Bear's Shaving Soaps from the USA.

I can confirm that we have been talking to Sue at Mama Bear's regarding importing her products and are close to closing a deal. We will hopefully be offering a fairly large range of Mama Bear's soaps with our usual free UK delivery, but we need your assistance!

There are so many fragrances to choose from that we need to select a favourite few. We would really love to import every single Mama Bear's product but it's not practical at the moment (who knows, we might in the future if they do well).

If you could all reply with the top 5 Mama Bear's fragrances you would like to get your hands on, it would be much appreciated! :)

Martin @ B&H

Back
Top Bottom