Barclays Premier League.

As a Pompey fan worrying about Armageddon I still follow the Premier League with interest.

For us neutrals it's turning into one of the best seasons for years. Having followed the game since Pompey's 49/50 Championships I'm hoping it's Liverpool now. It's been a long wait for their supporters after the glory years. Looking forward to some crunch games ahead.

Hope all the fans involved can stay calm enough to enjoy it all.

Yes, very exciting season.

The rise of Liverpool and the demise of United has been a lot of fun given I'm a Pool fan and one of my best mates is a United man.

There are clearly more rugby than soccer fans here. Surely it's not a public school majority here.

And I confess I was at such a rugby playing school where to play soccer with any kind of ball, including the oval one, was automatic 1 hour detention. It didn't stop a lifetime of interest in both sports.

Fido said:
There are clearly more rugby than soccer fans here. Surely it's not a public school majority here.

And I confess I was at such a rugby playing school where to play soccer with any kind of ball, including the oval one, was automatic 1 hour detention. It didn't stop a lifetime of interest in both sports.

Fido,

I wouldn't be so sure - Rugby is a minority sport here and everywhere, which is due to many things. I really feel that the Public school stuff is, these days, a little far from the mark. I think it has been, if not Public school, then Grammar school weighted. You only have to look at the number of Old Boys' teams (that were predominantly Grammar school related). When the Grammar schools were phased out I believe that the rugby playing days of many children gradually subsided over time.

The RFU and clubs realised that the school playing base was shrinking and that led to the rise of Mini and Junior rugby which now is the main feeder of players to clubs, not schools, I would argue. The current England team are predominantly State educated.

Anyway, I don't really know what I am trying to say, so I'll stop now.

Oh and I really hope Liverpool win the league. They were my team when I was a boy, mainly because they were winning everything back then, but also because I was in the same class as the cousin of Super-Sub David Fairclough which did give me a direct connection.

Up the reds...

There are clearly more rugby than soccer fans here.

I'm not sure that's the case Fido, I'm certainly into football, and the "who's your team" thread showed that there were many others.

I think some might just be wary of discussing football too much in an online hobby forum, football "discussion" can have a habit of getting very personal very quickly, as we saw on that very same "who's your team" thread!

I used to go on a forum frequented by my team's supporters, but my God, that was one angry, deeply stupid place.

You are probably right. While I follow top class rugby matches I'm not up to speed with many of the background issues these days.

And a Liverpool win would be a bit of a fairy tale this season.

I'm disillusioned by the whole Premiership scene now that's it's become all but impossible to break into the top 4 unless you have a billionaire patron.

Similarly, I don't really care who wins it - although I'd be against Liverpool if only because I wouldn't want a manager who commissioned his own full length potrait to win it.

I'm afraid Rugby seems to be heading in the same direction Rob within 10 years International Rugby will be like International football a bit of a sideshow, you are seeing this now with the Heineken cup when teams like Tulon and Clermont they have international squads filled with the best players in the world, and when they want a player they just flash the cash and they usually get them.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I'm afraid Rugby seems to be heading in the same direction Rob within 10 years International Rugby will be like International football a bit of a sideshow, you are seeing this now with the Heineken cup when teams like Tulon and Clermont they have international squads filled with the best players in the world, and when they want a player they just flash the cash and they usually get them.

True Jamie - but I still have two lots of quality International matches to watch each year and I think that's the reason why I don't get jaded.

Actually, I'd love to have a Premiership team to watch - the possibilities are Leicester, Worcester and Northants - however they are all about 75 minutes away not counting from parking to game etc., which is just that bit too long. I'd certainly be prepared to pay the price of a season ticket as the games are still predominently Saturday fixtures.

I don't have the background or affiliations to enjoy lower league games.

I'm not really a fan of egg-chasing, but I had hospitality for Exeter v Bath earlier this year.

Took my wife along and she really enjoyed it. I have to say the general atmosphere and lack of hostility (fans mixing on the terraces) really put football to shame. If I had kids I'd much rather take them to a rugby match than a football one.

I don't really follow the Premier League either (though it's hard not to follow it given the coverage it gets) although my team were in it not that long ago.

UKRob said:
pugh-the-special-one said:

True Jamie - but I still have two lots of quality International matches to watch each year and I think that's the reason why I don't get jaded.

Actually, I'd love to have a Premiership team to watch - the possibilities are Leicester, Worcester and Northants - however they are all about 75 minutes away not counting from parking to game etc., which is just that bit too long. I'd certainly be prepared to pay the price of a season ticket as the games are still predominently Saturday fixtures.

I don't have the background or affiliations to enjoy lower league games.

Rob - check your PM....

I wonder how liverpool will fare next season when they have more than a handful of competitions to play in, also the departure or non-dpeature of squirrel suarez to madrid (hint of the bale syndrome). You do need a gold chest to get into the top four, perhaps we should have mozart and heat warmers for those premium clubs whose players earn more than a prize bull on heat

Quite refreshing that with 6 or so games to go its not been wrapped up or could be wrapped up by the end of April. Any one of the top 4 could win it.

As a gooner though I think our 6-0 drubbing at the Bridge plus draw vs City have killed our chances, it'd take a massive slip up for us to get those points back. I think the damage had been done against the other team in the big away defeats, 6-3 vs City, 5-1 vs Liverpool, etc etc. We can't seem to compete and it worries me Wenger doesn't want to seem to sign a striker, or didn't in January. Someone must come in to the squad to challenge Giroud this summer!

Sure hope some of the crap teams Chelsea still have to play will park the bus and more or less undeservedly nick at point or a win. Would be poetic justice.

I think Liverpool and Southampton have been a breath of fresh air for English football. Martinez at Everton too.

1) The styles they're playing
2) The faith in their Youth set-up
3) The number of English players

I'd be perfectly happy if Pellegrini wins it should Liverpool trip up. Much better than the turgid dross that the likes of Mourinho, Moyes and (dare I say it) Hodgson inflict on us.

It's the best season in years - very exciting and some great football being played. My own team, Oldham, are so far removed from the premier league that I am truly neutral. Liverpool are the team I'd like to see win it (I like Rodgers, portrait or not!) as they're playing an attractive and adventurous brand of football that carries a bit of risk. I also feel that this might be their opportunity and, if they don't take it, it might be a while before it comes around again.

I completely agree with the comments about Everton and Southampton. They are smashing teams to watch, playing stylish football and overachieving. Special mention to Tony Pulis for the job he's done at Palace. Sometimes you have to cut your cloth according to the resources at hand and I don't think any manager, past or present, could have got more out of that team than he has.

The disappointments for me this season have been Arsenal (who started out playing with freedom and style before choking as per normal) and Swansea. I've enjoyed many family holidays out on the Gower and so Swansea have been my favourite underdogs and it's sad to see them struggling to play the expressive game that has been their signature in recent years and getting dragged into the relegation mire.

Back
Top Bottom