best guitarist youve seen

Geofnay said:
I'm going to add Johnny Marr; I bet I'll keep pondering this on the train tomorrow and I've work to do.
I was hoping Rocksmith would have some Smith songs as I've never seen anyone else play like Johnny, he's pretty amazing.

Not sure about best but the biggest impression left on me from a live guitarist was Roddy Frame from Aztec Camera, the concert in general was so good it sounded more like a studio recording than other bands, but he played a cracking solo which ended in him throwing his guitar onto the stage and walking off while it continued to "play itself" with the feedback and sustain.

Many years ago I saw Gordon Giltrap brilliant guitarist and a pretty amazing musician but sadly not my cup of tea, If I had to choose a favourite guitarist then It would probably be Hendrix for me.

I'd have to list a few. I do love Jimmy Page although as a sometime guitarist myself, I can see the point of one of my friends (also a guitarist) that he can be a bit sloppy at times. Me though, I don't like people being overly clinical so the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and all the others that guitar mags worship bore me.

Two of my favourites off the top of my head would be Josh Homme (of Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, & Them Crooked Vultures) and Paul Kossoff from Free for his 'feel' rather than being technically amazing.

Also love a bit of Dave Gilmour too - he has beautiful tone, perfect phrasing and is just a lesson in 'less is more' really.

Sadly of the above I've only seen Josh Homme live.

Francis Dunnery of It Bites was really impressive. Blimey he's aged

8813.jpg

Vernon Reid of Living Colour also blew the crowd away live

P1070395.jpg

he also looks somewhat different now.

PhilD said:
Francis Dunnery of It Bites was really impressive. Blimey he's aged

8813.jpg

Vernon Reid of Living Colour also blew the crowd away live

P1070395.jpg

he also looks somewhat different now.

Blimey, that takes me back. Watched them live when they supported Anthax on their Among the living tour.

Martin Taylor, Martin Simpson and Tony McManus are the best I have ever seen. I've been to loads of gigs with bands featuring top class guitarists but seeing one person on stage with nowhere to hide really shows alround quality. These guys make you want to go home and put your guitars on the fire...

I've seen a fair few live and many have been technically superb, but best is such a subjective term. To me, best would be one who has a mastery of their instrument, who plays just what the song needs, never too little or too much...they compliment the arrangement.

With that in mind, it has to be Richie Sambora, with Bernie Marsden coming in a very close second.

Other then the mentioned earlier.
I really like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kirk Hammett ( Mettalica), John Fruscianti (Red Hot Chili Pepers) and offcorse Angus Young (A-C/DC) also.

Back
Top Bottom