best guitarist youve seen

I've always used the 3 t's to judge guitar players, Timing/Touch/Tone.

Timing and feel is a big one for me being mostly a rhythm guitar player in bands, Eddie Van Halen is best known for the Beat It solo but he had fantastic rhythm skills too, and some great rock riffs. Hendrix and Jimmy Page are others. Even Steve Jones!

I've probably seen Ozrics at least 5 times in concert, perhaps even 10, but I wouldn't have picked out the guitar playing TBH. It was all about the synths and the bass for me.

I am not a huge fan of guitar, but I went to see John McLaughlin in the late 80s and was swept away by the music. One of those concerts you never forget.

Best I've seen live would have to be The Edge as he does something so different from most. U2 Popmart tour back in '97 - same year I got married. At least I didn't regret going to the concert!

I appreciate this thread is about guitarists we've seen but I ain't been to many concerts, never usually got beyond the pub but had I been around in the day then Hendrix would top the lot and I'd have love to have caught Jeff Healey in action. Blind and played the dang thing on his lap, often like a man possessed but he's departed this world sadly. Clapton's solos can be so decorative, emotional and just so true to what a solo should be. Jimmy Page is amazing as is Angus Young but I ain't a fan of the technically brilliant yet often soulless Steve Vai, Malmsteen and others of that ilk. For me it's got to come with good music in a good tune and with feeling not just reeled off because you can. Big fan of Stuart Adamson too, such a talented musician - RIP big Stu. Dave Gilmour is another who plays so beautifully, soulfully and with great solos. Slash deserves a mention, Billy Gibbons and SRV too.

Clapton's last short solo in this number is a particular favourite:

Glad to bring back some memories of the Ozric's for some of you!.I also have seen them more times than I can actually remember! :confused:.
Met Ed and Brandi,when they were still living in UK,very nice people they are too.Bought one of their synths of them!.Ed is a much better guitarist than most people give him credit for.The 'live Ozric's' are more about the freaked out,psychedelic,dance sounds more than anything else!,so you don't get to see him do much fancy guitar stuff 'live'.I also used to like 'Eat Static' when they toured with them in the very early 90's!.

Glad to bring back some memories of the Ozric's for some of you!.I also have seen them more times than I can actually remember! :confused:.
Met Ed and Brandi,when they were still living in UK,very nice people they are too.Bought one of their synths of them!.Ed is a much better guitarist than most people give him credit for.The 'live Ozric's' are more about the freaked out,psychedelic,dance sounds more than anything else!,so you don't get to see him do much fancy guitar stuff 'live'.I also used to like 'Eat Static' when they toured with them in the very early 90's!.

i remember(ish) seeing the ozrics at glastonbury in 95 on a very hot friday dinnertime, under the influence of some very strong acid (just say no, kids). i thoroughy enjoyed them :D

Well, I have seen this guy on the cover of this album:
R-2172080-1335476153.jpeg.jpg

Does that count

My car broke down in Crystal Palace, and I had to go find a payphone to call for help. When I got back to the car, they'd bricked the windows and the windscreen, and stolen my precious Ozrics tapes, all bought at gigs, usually at the Crypt in Deptford. I didn't hear that stuff again until the Kellogs Cornflakes box set came out :) I always thought those old tapes were better than the studio albums released on CD.

My car broke down in Crystal Palace, and I had to go find a payphone to call for help. When I got back to the car, they'd bricked the windows and the windscreen, and stolen my precious Ozrics tapes, all bought at gigs, usually at the Crypt in Deptford. I didn't hear that stuff again until the Kellogs Cornflakes box set came out :) I always thought those old tapes were better than the studio albums released on CD.
I had 2-3 of the tapes,I was always spending my money on alcohol and 'other consumables' when it came time to go to the gig!.Sorry to hear about your loss!,I too have the original Kellogg's box set,not the recent remaster though.I do still have an Ozrics silk flag and a handful of badges from way back when!.The shirts have long since worn out mind!.If you have the 'waterfall Cities' album,you are listening to my synth!,a rack mount Novation Supernova,still with a load of patches and sounds,and signed by Ed & Brandi.

Back
Top Bottom