best guitarist youve seen

This has turned into an Ozric Tentacles love-in...., gerra room you lot! :p:)

Seriously though, I get it. Although I was never into them (or even heard their stuff), I can relate to a lot of that sort of reminiscing like the late eighties and early to mid ninties when the The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays burst onto the scene. Always a Roses fan and never that keen on the Mondays. Then later with Oasis and Blur where I preferred the former but still liked Blur. Loads of other quality stuff around too and some shite as there always is. U2 were my favourite band from '87 onwards and I still covet The Joshua Tree as the finest album ever released in my life time.

Had this on vinyl and played it till the grooves were like canyons:

Helluva guitarist, John Squire. Bugger, I've just gone down a Stone Roses rabbit hole after listening to that again....see yer all again when I resurface!

Last edited:
ive been listening to ween today and ive got to say another guitarist who i absolutely love is dean ween. i was fortunate enough to see ween at leeds festival a number of years ago, as they rarely played in the uk.

A lot of the guitarists afformentioned would deffinately get into anyones hall of fame. quite a few I've seen, and a few I've never even heard of lol. One of the most accomplished players I've ever had the pleasure to see has to be Prince, he truly was awesome. I also had the pleasure back in the 80's of seeing Stanley Clarke, Bass player I know, but really off the chart. But I'm afraid of all of them, I have to put George Benson at the top. Had the pleasure of seeing him twice, and IMO his playing is magical:)

I agree about Prince, who is underrated. I have seen Stanley Clarke several times too. I would like to see Bela and the Flecktones, particularly for Victor Wooten. Maybe one day!

Any one seen Danny Bryant live?
An absolute legendary British blues/rock guitarist. He's visited http://www.maryportblues.co.uk/ a couple of times and he (and his band are truly fantastic)
It;s reckoned that if he was American he'd be topping charts let right and centre...
Another Favorite - yet to see live is Joe Bonamassa - Awesome

Bit of an old thread but wanted to get my two pennies worth in. Best guitarists I've seen?

Ulrich Jon Roth from his early Scorpion days. A magician with the guitar and makes it all look so so simple. Fly to the Rainbow is just one wonderful example of what can be extracted from the guitar. An early experimenter and I just love his material.
Bill Nelson with Be-Bop-Deluxe. 'Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape' live was just genius at work. Timing, accuracy, soul just everything a great guitarist should have. I believe he stopped playing the guitar live as he always said people should come to see the band, but most came to watch him play. Crying shame but at least I saw him at his prime.
Glen Tilbrook, Squeeze and solo. I don't know how many times I have seen him live because my wife is a huge fan of his, but what a guitarist. So overlooked for his ability and most important his communication skills
Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols. Massive punk fan here and Steve epitomized everything a great guitarist should have with a huge quantity of attitude thrown in the mix. Pity he was a bit of cock, but that is Steve.

I get home from this here ship around the 20th and one of my first commitments at home is to go see Jason Isbel (ex Drive by Truckers) in Manchester. Writes fantastic songs, entertains and a bloody A1 guitarist to boot. I saw him live in the Shetland Islands a couple of years back and an astounding performance.

Ulrich Jon Roth from his early Scorpion days. A magician with the guitar and makes it all look so so simple.

It's a shame Roth's name doesn't get mentioned more often when talking of legendary guitarists. His work with the Scorpions was astonishing, and way ahead of its time considering what most heavy rock guitarists were doing in the seventies.

I find it odd that Yngwie Malmsteen only seems to acknowledge Hendrix and Blackmore as his influences and never mentions Roth. I'm only familiar with the first couple of Malmsteen albums (that was about as much as I could bear), but I hear a lot more of Roth in early Malmsteen's tone, phrasing and overall feel.

Last edited:
Saw many come and go with Thin Lizzy over the years, have to say that one of the one's that left a lasting impression with me was John Sykes.
Gary Moore, when he left his ego at home.
And for thumping rifs Mick Ronson. (no Lizzy connection obviously).

Indeed Roth, underrated and overlooked. A Guitar God of the first degree

+1 for Gary Moore. It was his ego which made him such a great guitarist and live he just made it all look so consummately easy. Couldn't sing for his dinner, but who cared? You went to see the man play.

If you look at Thin Lizzy every guitarist they went through was a man of brilliance. God, even Midge Ure in his own way. Personally I liked the Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson era where it was more the combination of the two than the merits of a single guitarist shining through.

Since it is a sad day with David Bowie passing I really must put in a mention not just for Ronson, but also Earl Slick. A very 'never mentioned' talent

Dave Clempson of Colosseum. See a blast he does on YouTube called "The Grass Is Always Greener" from a show in Cologne in 1994. Rips it up.

I also enjoyed Neil Young, Rory Gallagher, a guy called Zal Cleminson from the SAHB and for sheer muscle the hardened chords that eminate from Rammstein.

Well, I'm glad that that's of my chest.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom