Best knife to carry on your keyring

My Bear Grylls pocket " multi tool " goes with me everywhere DStan, and seems a sturdy little single blade pocket knive with 2 screwdriver blades and a short spike. I went for it mainly because as well as being street legal in Scots law it has an opening stud on the blade to facillitate one hand opening.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

The locking knife law is a pain in that it renders most of the larger multitools illegal for EDC, and it's the larger ones that have useful pliers and screwdrivers. I wish Leatherman would release a UK-legal Wave for example that had sub 3" non-locking blades.

Indeed it is a pain that almost all tools are technically illegal to carry in a public place unless you have a legitimate reason.

As I mentioned above we can all carry a tool or blade as fierce or seemingly hazardous provided we have a genuine reason to have with us at the time. There are very few multi tools than you can carry AND NOT have to justify having it on you. Hence my going for the one I did. I didn't want to have to explain to a PC why I had one in my pocket (or in my car). With a "street legal" (my term, not an official one) tool at least I know that under the Act I don't have to explain myself .... unless, of course, I'm waving it about shouting "hands up, give me the money". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInM68YgcC4

As if by magic, I have just received an email from Heinnie Haynes proclaiming an end of line offer on the CRKT Liong Mah #6 knife:

http://www.heinnie.com/columbia-river-liong-mah-design-no6

May be of interest to someone.

Disclaimer - I am not affiliated, no declarable interest etc etc.

Hi Folks

My brother and I had this debate the other night regarding the Law and carrying knifes.....

I worked in the Youth Criminal Justice Services for a number of years and one of my responsibilities was doing group work with young people whom were caught up in so called gang culture and carried knifes in the community for self defence......

Under the current UK knife Law it is not a criminal offence to carry a folding knife with not exceeding a 3 inch blade........

But here's the catch.......

You can still be charged for carrying a folding knife that is not exceeding a 3 inch blade in a public place.......

The usual charge is for carrying an offensive weapon.......and if this goes to court you must provide a reasonable explanation to the court for having the knife on your person in public place and this is done on a case to case basis........

Many of the young people that I worked with were convicted for a small folding knife on their key rings.......

Many young people are confused because under the current UK knife Law it is not a criminal offence to carry a folding knife that is not exceeding a 3 inch blade.......

But the UK government Website states clearly ......Once criminal justice Investigation's proceedings and processes are started you must provide a reasonable explanation to the court for having the knife on your person in public place.........

Now the legalities debate is another subject matter !

Confused ? Most young people are ! No wonder !

Regards

Billy

chris.hale said:
That's very true. In the case of my Leatherman Wave, "I use it at work and I'm on my way there." is a valid reason, however "I might need it" might not be deemed as such.

Exactly so. The trouble is it's down to the Police Officer on the day what attitude he adopts. If your reason for possession isn't to his satisfaction he'll report you, as is his right, and then it's a matter for the courts to decide...and you'r then at the mercy, or otherwise, of whoever happens to be judging your case on the day. Whereas if it does comply with the Act, the PC has no right to report you simply for carrying it with no lawful reason i.e. you have an automatic defence and are not within the realms of "discretion".

At least, that's how I understand it.

There was a famous(ish) case (can't remember the name) that went to court and it went the wrong way and the fella was found guilty after appeal and that case has since been the subject of reference since.

Fergiebilly said:
Hi Folks

My brother and Had this debate the other night regarding the Law and carrying knifes.....

I worked in the Youth Criminal Justice for a number of years and one of my responsibilities was doing group work with young people whom were caught up in so called gang culture and carried knifes in the community for self defence......

Under the current UK knife Law it is not a criminal offence to carry a folding knife with not exceeding a 3 inch blade........

You can still be charged for carrying a folding knife that is not exceeding a 3 inch blade in a public place.......

The usual charge is for carrying an offensive weapon.......and if this goes to court you must provide a reasonable explanation to the court for having the knife on your person in public place and this is done on a case to case basis........

Many of the young people that I worked with were convicted for a small folding knife on their key rings.......

Many young people are confused because under the current UK knife Law it is not a criminal offence to carry a folding knife with not exceeding a 3 inch blade.......

But the UK government Website states clearly ......Once criminal justice Investigation's proceedings and processes are started you must provide a reasonable explanation to the court for having the knife on your person in public place.........

Regards

Billy

I haven't looked it up for ages but believe the word is LOCKING rather than folding. I might be wrong (I often am).

Far as I recall the definition of an offensive weapon (as against a specifically illegal knive) comprises any item constructed, adapted or intended as such by the accused at the material time. Locus fir the offence being any place to which the public had, at that time, access on payment or demand. Quite why a definition as broad as that ever required to be added to only the legal profession who make up the single biggest party of our legislature could explain.

The irony I have always found is that non-locking blades are dangerous to the user! OK I may be ham fisted, but if I am using a knife I dont want the damn thing shutting on my fingers! I therefore only have locking knives but wouldnt of course carry one around in public.

......unless of course you include camping....which I guess is about as "public" as it gets???

:-(

DevonStan said:
chris.hale said:
That's very true. In the case of my Leatherman Wave, "I use it at work and I'm on my way there." is a valid reason, however "I might need it" might not be deemed as such.

Exactly so. The trouble is it's down to the Police Officer on the day what attitude he adopts. If your reason for possession isn't to his satisfaction he'll report you, as is his right, and then it's a matter for the courts to decide...and you'r then at the mercy, or otherwise, of whoever happens to be judging your case on the day. Whereas if it does comply with the Act, the PC has no right to report you simply for carrying it with no lawful reason i.e. you have an automatic defence and are not within the realms of "discretion".

At least, that's how I understand it.

There was a famous(ish) case (can't remember the name) that went to court and it went the wrong way and the fella was found guilty after appeal and that case has since been the subject of reference since.

Fergiebilly said:
Hi Folks

My brother and Had this debate the other night regarding the Law and carrying knifes.....

I worked in the Youth Criminal Justice for a number of years and one of my responsibilities was doing group work with young people whom were caught up in so called gang culture and carried knifes in the community for self defence......

Many young people are confused because under the current UK knife Law it is not a criminal offence to carry a folding knife with not exceeding a 3 inch blade.......

Regards

Billy

I haven't looked it up for ages but believe the word is LOCKING rather than folding. I might be wrong (I often am).

Yeah they seem to use the words LOCKING NON LOCKING and FOLDING interchangeably !

Using this as an excuse to browse Heinnie Haynes, I think the Leatherman Juice range would probably do most of what I want from a multitool with the benefit of being legal to carry.

I think JohnnyO's right about the law regarding offensive weapons, one of my mates got charged with that for a pool cue. Ordinarily pool cues are perfectly legal, but when you use one to chase someone out of a pub it becomes a problem. Idiot.

JohnnyO said:
Far as I recall the definition of an offensive weapon (as against a specifically illegal knive) comprises any item constructed, adapted or intended as such by the accused at the material time. Locus fir the offence being any place to which the public had, at that time, access on payment or demand. Quite why a definition as broad as that ever required to be added to only the legal profession who make up the single biggest party of our legislature could explain.

Yeah, you are correct !.... But the word INTENT is also applicable here......A credit card can become an offensive weapon if someone INTENDS to use it as a weapon and or a third party feels threatened and makes a complaint.......:s

I know a person that got six months in prison for a drunken prank with a water pistol in a café........He squired water on the proprietor of the café and she made a complaint to the police that she was IN FEAR OF HER LIFE.......He was charged and convicted under the illegal Fire Arms Act ........ The court took the view that he had the INTENTION of presenting the water pistol as a Fire Arm.....

The women in the Café is a bitch and a number of people have ended up in court due to her complaints........Including me !:icon_razz:

Billy

The women in the Café is a bitch and a number of people have ended up in court due to her complaints........Including me !:icon_razz:

Billy
[/quote]

What did you do.....SHOOT HER??

Incidentally, how did you get that little thingy over the top of the "e" in Cafe" ? Can't see one on my keyboard.

Difficult to believe that our highly paid legislators have managed to arrive at a position where a " folding " knife with a locking device becomes classified not as a " locknife ", which it may well have been sold as but as one which has the potential to be converted into a " fixed blade " knive moving it into an entirely different classification. Why indeed do we refer to " common sense " when it seems to be so uncommon...

JohnnyO. :icon_rolleyes:/

DevonStan said:

Billy

What did you do.....SHOOT HER??

Incidentally, how did you get that little thingy over the top of the "e" in Cafe" ? Can't see one on my keyboard.
[/quote]

Naw ! :mad:

I broke her jaw with one of those old porcelain type ash trays that used to be in pubs and cafe's ........ In self defence of course ! :s

She attacked me with a full bottle of Johnny Walkers and almost knocked me unconscious .........Silly women ! :icon_razz:

Billy

Back
Top Bottom