Best knife to carry on your keyring

Darkbulb said:
Maybe a Higo No Kami knife?
It folds and there is no locking mechanism. It's fully hand made, can only be made by one person in the world if sold under that name and has an amazing history. That and it looks really neat :) It's about USD 20.

tumblr_m0561zw3vZ1qbqgxwo1_r1_1280.jpg

sword-parts-other-higo-no-kami-pocket-knife-1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
I really fancy getting one of these. Can you link me to a genuine one
I found this, is this one do you think?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151363497866?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

ollie9091 said:
I really fancy getting one of these. Can you link me to a genuine one
I found this, is this one do you think?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151363497866?

Yeah, they are beautiful knives.
I will have to say though that I am not an expert in picking out which ones are genuine Higo No Kamis and which ones are not.

One thing to look for is if it comes in the traditional yellow-blue paper gift box (but to make it even more complicated they don't ALWAYS do that).

The thing you linked to on eBay is the 'mini' version which I think is a very tiny knife but since they don't state the measurements in the ad its hard to tell if they truly mean mini, S or XL :)

Traditionally these knives were made in the yellow brass that you often see - but later on he added a dark/black version as well. Both are 'genuine'.

Here's an example of a knife I'd feel pretty comfortable buying for instance:
http://www.amazon.com/Higo-Kami-10-Pocket-Seisakusho/dp/B00EU8MLQY
It shows the markings clearly, comes in the traditional blue-yellow box (third photo), references the last living maker by name "Nagao Seisakusho".

THIS is an example of what NOT to buy if you want a genuine Higo No Kami:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MIYAMOTO-MUSASHI-SAMURAI-Japanese-Higonokami/dp/B00J19Y8NQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y719FM68YKZNT76DMYQ

Note the samurai on one of the sides and the blue-white box - both signs that this is not made by master craftsman Nagao Seisakusho.

I know, complicated...sorry :(

Some things to ask/check:
1) Check what size the knife is (as there are at least three different sizes),
2) Does it come in a gift box if so what color,
3) Does it have a samurai on it (it shouldn't), and
4) Does the ad mention its made by Nagao Seisakusho

Hopefully it can help somewhat.

And hey, as a 'bonus' Japanese farmers have been known to shave off their beard with one of these knifes when out on the field. How manly isn't that? :D

Thanks Darkbuld. I have taken your advice/guidance and pulled the trigger. I will in no way hold you responsible if I have purchased a lemon.
I'll update when it arrives

Away from an actual knife I've these two tools. Skull shaped is a Maserin 905/A bottle opener, spanner, screwdriver and pry. Second a Leatherman Brewzer, bottle opener and pry. Both solid chunks of steel. Bottle lid for scale. The little skeleton is something I hand tie for our fund raising for scouts.
[attachment=13347]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426159320.195862.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426159320.195862.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 32
I carry a pocket knife (Kershaw leek) but I also have a very small knife that lives on my keyring:

cbplWHy.jpg

it's a Victorinox classic, and this photo makes it look a bit larger than it really is (actual length closed is 60mm). You can get the same knife with plain colored scales, but they offer numerous eye catching designs too.

I use my pocket knife much more often than this little keyring one, but it's nice to have as a backup - I find I use the tiny scissor the most.
~

PotatoRazor said:
I carry a pocket knife (Kershaw leek) but I also have a very small knife that lives on my keyring:

cbplWHy.jpg

it's a Victorinox classic, and this photo makes it look a bit larger than it really is (actual length closed is 60mm). You can get the same knife with plain colored scales, but they offer numerous eye catching designs too.

I use my pocket knife much more often than this little keyring one, but it's nice to have as a backup - I find I use the tiny scissor the most.
~

Basically that one is the ideal size. Thing is I have no need for the scissors but ideally would like a bottle opener and a cross head driver

barberbob said:
Basically that one is the ideal size. Thing is I have no need for the scissors but ideally would like a bottle opener and a cross head driver

Got to be the victorinox mini-champ then - it's basically the same size but fatter and includes both of the items you mention. I've had one on my house keys for years and it's done me very well (if it seems like I have a lot of opinions on this, it's because I've got 4 separate sets of keys - each with a different gadget on!)

108677667776292.jpg

Good shout that one Chopper.

Gonna pop to a place that stocks both Victorinox and Leatherman on the weekend so I can see how they feel in my pocket

chris.hale said:
Can you get a pouch that will hold the Juice and a bit set? I do IT support, so it's really screwdrivers, pliers and something that will cut zip ties that I need.
Same for me I actually used a little nylon pouch from an old torch for for the adaptor/bit set and the Leatherman pouch for the Juice. The bit set only has 4 flat double ended bits but has a slot that holds a couple of ordinary bits which I filled with Torx bits.
The wire cutters on the pliers snip cable ties with ease.

I have this on my keys at all times:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leatherman-Squirt-PS4/dp/B004SWX54E

Great little tool, but the actual blade IMO isn't as good as Victorinox.

chris.hale said:
Can you get a pouch that will hold the Juice and a bit set? I do IT support, so it's really screwdrivers, pliers and something that will cut zip ties that I need.

They do quite a nice Juice pouch. No room for a bit set but then the Juice range doesn't have one.

LeathermanJuiceSheath-Gallery.jpg

I like the the Juice KF4; it's UK legal and has a good selection of tools without being too bulky. Oh and it's yellow :D Sadly it was discontinued in 2005 :( They are still about but rare.

Another lightweight alternative is the Juice S2; you get a blade, screwdrivers, pliers and a great pair of scissors.

Now if pliers aren't required then I'd recommend the Victorinox Compact. The main tools are blade, scissors and a flat screwdriver. You also get tweezers, toothpick and a pen built in. Perfect for the man about town :D

Northam Saint said:
Away from an actual knife I've these two tools. Skull shaped is a Maserin 905/A bottle opener, spanner, screwdriver and pry. Second a Leatherman Brewzer, bottle opener and pry. Both solid chunks of steel. Bottle lid for scale. The little skeleton is something I hand tie for our fund raising for scouts.

Really like that wee skeleton key ring. I was doing Stranger Danger stuff with the Beavers last week for their badges I think, guest speaker sorta thing. I got some brilliant paintings and a right good giggle, oh! And shortbread. :icon_cheesygrin:

mbnu54 said:
Try this one, for the price cant be beaten. Needed sharpening a bit is all.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1628705

I think that's a frame lock on there, so not UK "on the street" legal.

Another suggestion for a little but highly effective knife would be a Boker Plus Subcom 42. Punches(cuts) well above it's weight and very compact - it's also pretty non-threatening which is both nice and a little unusual.
Subcom 42 in various colours

You have to be careful with US designed "made for the EU/UK" blades, following the letter of the Law isn't enough if it looks like a weapon and not a tool.
Boker XS and CRKT Liong Mah #5 & #6 I'm looking at you!

Back
Top Bottom