Big Boars brush restores.

Yup. I've now got the Hardy knots and handles that make the $100-$200 brushes. I got a good deal and that will be reflected in the prices when I put them together. Think £30-£40 depending on grade of knot. They run from best to grade a silvertip.

Greg

Landed some more bits from my new friend in Portugal!

Handles:
rps20150908_221041_227.jpg

European badger knots:

rps20150908_220822_247.jpg

Tempted yet?
Those are the old style vulcanized rubber set knots. They'll hold hair for close to 100 years and I'd be surprised if they shed more than three hairs.

How much would you gouge me for just the knot in the lower left corner? Seeing as how I introduced you to your new best friend Mr. Abolnik from Portugal?

Few folks have mentioned finger marks and oxidisation on brush handles. One wax I have used for years is Renaissance Wax, you finish your piece to what ever standard you wish. Using oils, wax's, varnish, even just the bare wood, or plastic, and metals, rub on a coat of this wax, let it dry then buff off. Do this a few times and it gives a finger proof coating for quite a while.

I have never checked the time length it stays effective, but when I used to supply turned pieces to shops for sale I always used it to stop finger marks as and when the pieces where handled. It is a bit expensive as wax polish goes, but it does work, and a little goes a long, long way.

This E.R is currently on my bench undergoing restoration, this will be a lengthy process requiring patience:

rps20150912_100136_625.jpg

rps20150910_162125.jpg

The first part of the process was to use pigments to colour match the resin I'll be using for the repair. This took some time and experimentation!

The handle was prepped and the resin applied, once dry I will sand and reapply as necessary to leave no visible cracks:

rps20150912_100229_661.jpg

To be continued in 48 hrs when the resin has set!

Greg

Usually when people talk about "restoring a brush" they really mean "giving it a quick polish and a new knot." You sir, are a credit to restorers around the world. That is a brush I would have binned in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom