Big Boars brush restores.

...I will be selling these at around £30. Do you fellas think that's a reasonable price?...
Ignoring the value of VP Leonhardy brushes, £30 sounds like a reasonable price, considering that those handles are NOS (and don't ask me how NOS German made Leonhardy handles ended up in Portugal... I've long since lost my ability to be amazed by the places wetshaving stuff ends up). Anyone who likes that style of handle will be getting a good deal.

After seeing those photos, I kind of wish I'd purchased them myself. The imitation ivory one especially looked plain yellowish in the vendor's photos.

Edit: I just discovered that the eBay seller's father is and has been for years the VP Leonhardy representative for Portugal. That explains a lot.

Yup, these are some tasty handles! They've got a bit of age to them also, I think they may have been demo pieces.

Oh yeah, finished the thaterlike. Went for black badger as I have toooo many silvertips and I'm craving some scritch!

rps20150905_095902.jpg

Greg

£30? I'll take the one on the right. ;)
I have one New Forest brush, the 2001 from Fido's re-retirement sale. It's my favorite brush, and that's saying a lot, as I have some really nice brushes. I can tell by the amount of soap buildup on your brush that it gets a lot of love from you. :)

Edit: those Leonhardy handles (judging by the ages of the other brushes listed) are about 20-25 years old.

£30? I'll take the one on the right. ;)
I have one New Forest brush, the 2001 from Fido's re-retirement sale. It's my favorite brush, and that's saying a lot, as I have some really nice brushes. I can tell by the amount of soap buildup on your brush that it gets a lot of love from you. :)

Edit: those Leonhardy handles (judging by the ages of the other brushes listed) are about 20-25 years old.

Ha! Take a lot more than £30 to prize that tubby2 out of my rotation..

I had a NF 2224 high mountain white, can't remember who I moved it on to.

Hmmmmm might be time for a vinegar rinse.

Project Thaterlike is underway!

Donor brush:
rps20150831_153910.jpg

Knot out:
rps20150831_153959_868.jpg

This removed the polish and exposed lots of machine marks that had to be removed.

Working on finish, adjusting shape to match the thater:
rps20150831_154036.jpg

rps20150831_154114.jpg

Shape wasn't quite right, reworked it to soften the edges and broaden the facets.

Just needs a bit of polish:
rps20150831_154208.jpg

Ready for a 28mm knot but could easily be opened up to take a 30mm.

Greg.
You have given me a cracking idea for my Semogue 830 - lets get a synthetic knot and re-knot it!
Any ideas how I can get the knot out, without damaging the handle?
Thanks Greg!

Last edited:
You have given me a cracking idea for my Semogue 830 - lets get a synthetic knot and re-knot it!
Any ideas how I can get the knot out, without damaging the handle?
Thanks Greg!

Yes mate, steam it and the knot will just pull out. I use SWMBO's veg steamer with the brush in a glass ramekin to prevent damage. Will take 30 mins max. Just wear gloves as it will burn you!

You may find the red paint comes with it, if so clean the socket out and paint with red enamel model paint. The enamel part is important.

Greg

(If you get stuck pm me)

Back
Top Bottom