brogues

im thinking about getting a pair of brogues, has anyone got any recommendations on whats worth buying and whats not? price is not an issue at the moment, but i dont want to be paying silly money, im just looking for a good solid pair that will last me a long time. cheers.

I bought a pair from Robinsons Shoes in N Ireland in whiskey tan. They are excellent value for money and better than my more expensive Churches.

Give them a call and speak to Robin Stewart.

You should be able to lick up a bargain pair from Jones, they've got a final reduction in their sale. I always pick up a couple of pairs of shoes every sale for work. The shoes wear really well compared to others I've had, and they break in quickly.

isaiah53 said:
im thinking about getting a pair of brogues, has anyone got any recommendations on whats worth buying and whats not? price is not an issue at the moment, but i dont want to be paying silly money, im just looking for a good solid pair that will last me a long time. cheers.

If you fancy making a full day of it you could visit all these factory shops;

Joseph Cheaney & Sons
R. E. Tricker Ltd
Church
Crockett & Jones
John Lobb
Jeffrey West

All in/around Northampton.

All 'do-able' within a day, apparently.

joe mcclaine said:
isaiah53 said:

If you fancy making a full day of it you could visit all these factory shops;

Joseph Cheaney & Sons
R. E. Tricker Ltd
Church
Crockett & Jones
John Lobb
Jeffrey West

All in/around Northampton.

All 'do-able' within a day, apparently.

extreme broguing :D been having a look online at some of those, and some are a bit more than i was wanting to pay. im leaning towards the english made loakes at the moment.

I've just, last week, bought a pair of black Loake Sovereign c/w a Dainite sole & heel unit which is very handy for the annual wet NE late Autumn, Winter and early Spring. They are a derby design, English made and will be splendid for tootling back and forth to the office.

I generally prefer Alfred Sargent for decent shoes and field boots but the road salt really messes with the leather soles.

I got them from Pediwear. Free overnight delivery, free (very decent) silk tie and free shoe trees.

Oh yes, and 5p cheaper than the Loake site which offered no freebies.

I looked at some similar and cheaper OEM types at the Charles Tyrwhitt shop last week in Jermyn Street but they are not of English manufacture; Indian I think. You get what you pay for.

Quite happy actually.

:icon_razz:

Don't think you can beat the Loke 1880 range for quality and price, I have two pairs of Brouges from that line, a pair of Ashbys and a pair of Badminton 2's. They must be the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, no aches or pains when new and hardly any breaking in.The Badminton's are going back to get re-soled after 18 months, with new Dainite Soles and Heels

Leather soles are more breathable, so if you are not doing a lot of walking outdoors in the rain then they are ideal. They are fine in wet weather, they don't leak. They let your feet breath more and I generally find them more comfy. They wear out quicker than rubber.
Rubber soles are obviously not breathable. I have some Loakes with Rubber inserts in the sole which are a good compromise.

I've also had a pair of Loake Badminton brogues - with Dainite sole - for 18 months or so:

images

I feel that they have all the positives of a leather sole (predominantly that, being welted construction, they can easily be repaired) without the downside of not being ideal when walking in wet weather. Yes, they aren't breathable but I suspect that leather soles aren't particularly breathable compared to the uppers - I certainly don't find them noticeably less breathable.

I'm so convinced by the sole that I've just bought a pair of black half brogues with Dainite sole from Barker:

LeyBourne_BlkCalf300.jpg

_

Back
Top Bottom