brogues

im thinking about getting a pair of brogues, has anyone got any recommendations on whats worth buying and whats not? price is not an issue at the moment, but i dont want to be paying silly money, im just looking for a good solid pair that will last me a long time. cheers.

I bought a pair from Robinsons Shoes in N Ireland in whiskey tan. They are excellent value for money and better than my more expensive Churches.

Give them a call and speak to Robin Stewart.

You should be able to lick up a bargain pair from Jones, they've got a final reduction in their sale. I always pick up a couple of pairs of shoes every sale for work. The shoes wear really well compared to others I've had, and they break in quickly.

isaiah53 said:
im thinking about getting a pair of brogues, has anyone got any recommendations on whats worth buying and whats not? price is not an issue at the moment, but i dont want to be paying silly money, im just looking for a good solid pair that will last me a long time. cheers.

If you fancy making a full day of it you could visit all these factory shops;

Joseph Cheaney & Sons
R. E. Tricker Ltd
Church
Crockett & Jones
John Lobb
Jeffrey West

All in/around Northampton.

All 'do-able' within a day, apparently.

joe mcclaine said:
isaiah53 said:

If you fancy making a full day of it you could visit all these factory shops;

Joseph Cheaney & Sons
R. E. Tricker Ltd
Church
Crockett & Jones
John Lobb
Jeffrey West

All in/around Northampton.

All 'do-able' within a day, apparently.

extreme broguing :D been having a look online at some of those, and some are a bit more than i was wanting to pay. im leaning towards the english made loakes at the moment.

I've just, last week, bought a pair of black Loake Sovereign c/w a Dainite sole & heel unit which is very handy for the annual wet NE late Autumn, Winter and early Spring. They are a derby design, English made and will be splendid for tootling back and forth to the office.

I generally prefer Alfred Sargent for decent shoes and field boots but the road salt really messes with the leather soles.

I got them from Pediwear. Free overnight delivery, free (very decent) silk tie and free shoe trees.

Oh yes, and 5p cheaper than the Loake site which offered no freebies.

I looked at some similar and cheaper OEM types at the Charles Tyrwhitt shop last week in Jermyn Street but they are not of English manufacture; Indian I think. You get what you pay for.

Quite happy actually.

:icon_razz:

Don't think you can beat the Loke 1880 range for quality and price, I have two pairs of Brouges from that line, a pair of Ashbys and a pair of Badminton 2's. They must be the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned, no aches or pains when new and hardly any breaking in.The Badminton's are going back to get re-soled after 18 months, with new Dainite Soles and Heels

the loakes are more and more the ones i like the look of. i was fancying the leather soles, but the last two posts are making me think. whats the advantages and disadvantages of the different soles?

Leather soles are more breathable, so if you are not doing a lot of walking outdoors in the rain then they are ideal. They are fine in wet weather, they don't leak. They let your feet breath more and I generally find them more comfy. They wear out quicker than rubber.
Rubber soles are obviously not breathable. I have some Loakes with Rubber inserts in the sole which are a good compromise.

I've also had a pair of Loake Badminton brogues - with Dainite sole - for 18 months or so:

images

I feel that they have all the positives of a leather sole (predominantly that, being welted construction, they can easily be repaired) without the downside of not being ideal when walking in wet weather. Yes, they aren't breathable but I suspect that leather soles aren't particularly breathable compared to the uppers - I certainly don't find them noticeably less breathable.

I'm so convinced by the sole that I've just bought a pair of black half brogues with Dainite sole from Barker:

LeyBourne_BlkCalf300.jpg

_

Back
Top Bottom