brogues

Just stumbled across this thread. I'm surprised no one has mentioned any Spanish brands I.e. Meermin or Berwick. Both offer the traditional Goodyear welt but at better prices (excluding linea maestro but they are hand welted) and better leather. Nothing wrong with Loakes et al but you do pay a premium for them being made in England.

I've got a couple of pairs of Loakes. One from the made in India L1 range and another from the made in England 1880 range. Both use the same quality leather and in all honesty the finishing is better in the made in India pair and I paid £100 less.

I've got a pair of Crockett and Jones also and the difference in quality is noticeable. Not just finishing but also the quality of the leather.

The absolute best pair of shoes I had were a pair of Trickers. Outstanding quality and finish (closed channelled sole for one). A fair bit more than Loakes but worth it in my opinion. They are known for their heavy brogue/country styles and they are built to last.

Another alternative is to have a trip out to Northampton as I think someone else has said and visit the factory shops. I think I'm right in thinking Crockett and Jones shoes/boots sell for £150-180 respectively. Trickers also have an eBay outlet -retrickers. Whilst talking about eBay I would look at Cheaney shoes. Decent quality and can be had for very reasonable prices.

Personally speaking, I had rather my money was spent in Britain on British-made shoes and boots thus keeping our own shoemaking traditions going and benefiting our own workers and economy. Both my Loake pairs (Otterburns and the Loake-made Herring Kendals) are beautifully made, especially the Otterburns with their lovely hand-burnished heavy tan leather and sturdy, welted Victory soles. As to C & J and Trickers, I have neither the money nor inclination to buy them. The Loakes are more than good enough for me.

Besides, a pair of Trickers boots may be quite wonderful but I'd rather a pair of William Lennon's at less than half the price. Trickers are undoubtedly extremely well made but there is just no way on Earth they can be as sturdy as a pair of brass-screwed and stitched Lennon's. Sure the finishing will be neater and fancier but even their Veldtschoen models can surely not take the same punishment as the Lennon oiled kip, reverse-tanned leather fell boots or B5 WW1 boots. The folks at Lennon's are also the last company in Britain making heavy boots the way they do and are absolutely brilliant at discussing customisations at all levels be it leather choices, sole construction and options, mixing styles, etc. Yes, the Trickers are much more the thing for a la-de-da, tweed shod, pheasant shoot with Lord and Lady muck but a blue collar fella like myself will be better served by the sturdy, workman-like, Peak District heavies.

In absolute sincerity, I wish you all the joy in the world wearing whatever boots and shoes you choose and thank you for your observations and experience but my path is clearly marked. I do however fancy a pair of Cheaney Tenterden's but as the leather is very similar in colour and grain to my Kendal's, I just could not justify the purchase. She'd ruddy kill me!

A' the best,
Graeme

Horses for courses that's for sure. Really comes down to what lasts and styles you prefer. Personally I will spend a bit more on shoes as if looked after right they will last a very long time. Buy cheap buy twice mentality.

Well went shopping yesterday for a pair of brogues tried on a pair of loake chester and liked can see why people rate them highly
Also tried a pair of these on from anatomic shoes

http://www.anatomicshoes.com/tucano/p89

And wow they feel like your wearing nothing there that soft inside.
I've ordered a pair online and will report back in a week or so on what there like after a few wears

Pardon me guys for not reading the whole thread! But has Ted Baker had a mention.

These are nice
http://www.branch309.co.uk/mens/ted-baker-poallu-brown-boots/6203146020/

I also have a pair of the Ted Baker shoes but the older Guri 3 version.

Quite like the look of these as well
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ted-Baker-Mens-Cassiuss-Brogue/dp/B00E0FGO1K

Just received my first pair of Loakes brogue boots burford tan and have to say I love them perfect fit nice comfortable and look the part .

Them's braw boots, Inker. Great choice sir - thee's just something about tan brogues be it boot or shoe that I can't resist. Got a pair of the boldly punched Otterburn shoes in tan earlier this year and I love 'em. Alternate between them and a pair of Herring Kendals in mid brown grain (made by Loake in England) and my William Lennon two-tone, dark brown smooth and black Scotch grain, punched toe cap boots. Really fancy a pair of the Loake Royals in burgundy but another pair of Lennons in tan are up next, I hope.

I joined this place to save money on blades and to get the most out of traditional man-shaving but it's opened up a Pandora's box of other goodies like brogues, watches (wrist & pocket) and all sorts of other gentlemanly, must have but don't need stuff.

Enjoy your Burfords in good health, Inker! :D

I joined for the same reasons but have spent hours reading and learning and buying.
You sound like a brogue pro or on your way for sure. I was looking for a pair of (proper) oxblood boots with the dark black running through them but as yet to find a pair which fit the brief ,but glad I didn't as I love the tan, but still looking.....

Nah, no brogue pro. It's all OrangeSport's fault for enabling me but I thank him heartily for it. Not sure my wife feels the same though....:angel:

Think some of the chaps on here have Crocket & Jones brogues. Now that's some serious wedge! Mind you, have you seen John Lobb's prices....:icon_eek:

I did spy a nice pair of Northampton-made, NPS full brogue Oxblood dealer boots. Leather soles and rubber heels with quarter steel tips and tacked all the way round. They looked fair braw and pretty good at £148 all in.

brough-stable2-boots.jpg

http://www.modshoes.co.uk/index.php/product/landslide-oxblood-brogue-boot-delicious-junction/#
They are nice but more of a lace up type boot like these and all for £85 not sure of the standard but might be worth a look

Not bad looks wise but personally, I ain't keen on the laces. An easy change though and the boots do look like they're properly Goodyear welted. Could be Indian-made and whilst that's no bad thing, I like to spend my money helping keep traditional, long established British manufacturers afloat. NPS do a very similar stable boot with 9 eyelets:

091-nps-malton-stable-boots.jpg

Yon lot were doing them for £99! However, it doesn't state their stock levels or size availability:

http://www.hargreavesandson.co.uk/category/footwear/dealers/

Back
Top Bottom