brogues

I've just snagged a pair of Barker Canterbury 2nd hand (or should that be foot/feet?) for £70. Plenty of wear in the leather soles and the shoes look in remarkable condition all round. 100% feedback and a 14 day no quibble return policy. Here's hoping they're all they can be!

Ain't it great when your wife is away in Oz and feels sorry for you stranded home alone? :D

$_12.JPG

Guys, with regard to Loake sizing do you find you have to go a size larger than what you'd normally wear?

Clarkes outlet had a pair mixed in with all their other stuff today. They were an 11 and seemed to fit me well even though I always wear a 10. I'm now wondering do they run a bit small size wise.

Thanks

Well, the Barker Canterbury's I snagged 2nd hand off the bay proved to be a E fit and way too tight but the seller had a good returns policy and has already refunded me. After an argument with Amazon went my way and they ended up refunding an entire order as well as letting me keep the items, I've a wee bit of spare money. Wee wifey had £500 left after her Australian trip and as the car is only going to be around £400 to sort, I am on the campaign trail for a pair of Barker Harrisons which I've spotted on sale for £200. The fact that she's just come home with £195 worth of boots for herself which I have spent the last hour and half polishing might just help.......:angel:

It's an ill wind that blows no-one any good. ;)

I've gone and ordered a pair of Loake Otterburn from CW Menswear in Fife plus a couple of pairs of HJ socks. She knows and she has accepted it although if I so much as spend a single......well, you get the picture.

I decided against the Barker Harrison purely because I discovered William Lennon Boots. You can get 'em hob nailed, flat gripper nailed, brass screwed and stitched, welted and screwed commando-soled and if ever there was a boot to survive everything a fat gairdner could throw at it, these would be the fellys.

Here's a link to their site and a few picters:

William Lennon & Co. Ltd

78PTC Boot:

P1080763%20copy-big.jpg

WWI B5 Boot:

P1080749%20copy-big.jpg

Sole of WWI B5 Boot

12179840173_bf255a3fc4_z.jpg

Custom 78PTC

zehuduhu.jpg

107F Brown Zug Grain Field Boot

XXXX5-big.jpg

More:

dsc04517r.jpg

dsc_0135_358254.jpg

12180199074_b6a7937535_z.jpg

ZZZZ6-big.jpg

And all made in in Derbyshire's scenic Peak District, Great Britain. Apologies that they ain't brogues although the 78PTC as a bit of almost brogue like punching on 'em but by 'eck, them's proper boots! And looking for British-made shoes inspired by this thread did lead me to their site. :blush:

I would appear to have the definite beginnings of 'Brogue-a-philia'......

The Daily Brogue

TheDailyBrogue_zps6b46d91d.jpg

On the left are my Herring Kendals (Made in England by Loake) which my kind family brought about as a Christmas present and t'other pair are my Loake Otterburns.

Funeral & The City

FuneralampTheCity_zpsa3a5d71f.jpg

Again from the left, a vintage pair of Alfred Sargent Selkirks with pronounced square toe and my most recent purchase, an English-made pair of Grenson Royal Windsor quarter brogues. The Sargent's are awaiting trees which should be winging (did you smoke it?) their way to me as I type. The Grenson's were a particular bargain having been garnered from the 'bay for the princely sum of eighteen pounds and ninety nine pennies. A perfect fit and in all round, grand condition.

All Together Now:

AltogetherNow_zpse6fc2929.jpg

The group shot. Pardon the tatty 'gairden' bench and forlorn, soggy grass but at least the Snowdrops are out!

I'm excitedly looking forward to my fortieth Birthday as Dan at William Lennon's reckons my custom order of a pair of their 78PTC boots should be here in time. Whilst no-one would likely refer to these particular Lennon boots as brogues, in my dysfunctional mind, I have decreed them one eighth brogues by virtue of the brogue like, punched toe cap. Roll on April.

Just my sense of humour, Jamie. How's this for dryness? I'd call 'em 'shoes'.

If in the the military line, a Brigade of Brogues sounds about right but then there'd have to be a fair few pairs. More than I'd ever be able to stretch to.

Going all Harry Potter, what about a Boggart of Brogues? I mean this damn thread jumped out of its box straight at me and in a mere three months looked what happened!

A Bank of Brogues fits with my last pair but 'bank' is a four-letter word to many, myself included.

A Blether of Brogues? There sure is a lot of talk about them on this thread but at least it's all good although perhaps not from a wallet's point point of view.

Bunch of Brogues is just crap. Only Billy Connolly wore bananas on his feet ffs!

I'm going now, in fact, I went a long, long time ago.....

EDIT: I've decided I like Braggle best - a gaggle of geese and a braggle of brogues.

Back
Top Bottom