Child free coffee shops?

Was with a friend in a coffee shop today. Suddenly we could barely hear each other because of the screaming at an adjoining table. After about 10 minutes we moved to another part of the coffee shop to get some relief. As usual we didn't say a word to anyone.

I just googled the subject of children screaming in coffee shops and came across this, I'm still grinning. Thought I'd share it.

"Here's my dilemma: I love sitting in a coffee shop, but lately the screaming kids are spoiling it. I don't mean to sound heartless, but crying babies and toddler tantrums are not a backdrop I would choose for sipping my latte. I'm after a relaxed environment – somewhere where I can enjoy my coffee in relative peace without junior meltdowns occurring left, right and centre. Which seems to happen a LOT in the places I frequent lately.

The solution to this problem? I think it's largely to do with my choice of coffee shop. I can't expect mums not to go to coffee shops – they're after a strong black coffee and a place to catch up, which is fair enough. But there must be coffee shops where they don't go. You know, somewhere... quieter.

And before I get branded as a child-hater, do consider this: who actually wants to hear screaming babies and toddler tantrums when they go for a coffee? No one, not even the mums. How often have you willingly asked for a side-order of screaming, when the barista asks if you want chocolate sprinkles? There's a huge expectation to be fine with the situation, and smile sympathetically at the mother and the screaming baby, whilst your eardrums split with the shrill impact of 110 decibels that only a crying child can produce. It's probably the caffeine withdrawal, but I'm losing my patience. And I know I'm not alone in this. A recent coffee shop experience included a very decent latte, complete with crying babies in stereo. After the guy next to me stood up, packed up, downed his coffee and left in a visible strop, I got to thinking: "I need to go somewhere else."

So what's the solution? I should get off the mainstream path, I think. Go niche if you like. Ditch the Costas and the Starbucks. I need to find a place which doesn't attract mums and their broods. No offence. It's just my ears can't take it anymore. Should I go more local-level and shirk the chains? Or find a cafe on top of a hill, where buggies just don't go? Who knows, but it's my next mission. And when I've found this place, this oasis of calm, infused with the heady scent of just-brewed, freshly ground coffee, on no account am I telling anyone where it is. Not even for money."

Easy, pepper spray both mother and child then while their eyes are shut and gasping for air usher them out the door in a concerned but forceful manner. Grab a bottle of water so they can rinse their eyes (doesn't work) it'll be half an hour before they realise what's happened during which time you should have had a chance to finish your coffee and at least partially complete the crossword in peace.

I appreciate where your coming from, and I have two kids one 12 and another 6.

I've often been in places with kids screaming the walls down and it's bloody annoying. But ours from an early age have been taken them out to eat and to coffee shops. We made it clear from the start that they sit still and be quiet and they do. I even had a colleague once on hearing we were taking them out comment on how brave we were and he wouldn't take his kids out. He and his wife were very well off and thought they were the dogs danglies with their money, flash cars, golf club membership etc etc. But their kids were horrors.

This afternoon we went to the cinema, the place was full of kids all making a racket and the nosiest one of all was the mum giving her kids running commentary on what was happening, not even lowering her voice. My six year old sat there not a whisper. Same on long haul flights, where I've had two people one out going and another one on the incoming flight tap me on the shoulder and say how well behaved they were.

It's all I how you bring them up and solely down to the parents. I feel my kids shouldn't have an impact on others and their enjoyment of a meal, coffee or flight, etc. My kids are far from perfect but they know when to behave.

If you want an eye opener on ill behaved kids you need to come to Wrexham I've Ben in Asda before now and there has been a mum screaming at her child to get out of the shelving and all the kid was doing was sticking the fingers back up at her

And now we know why Costa are moving into the pubs!

But really, Peter, we should be able to expect better behaviour in Lymington's coffee shops, now,shouldn't we? Just not good enough! The pendulum has swung too far from Britain's child un-friendly reputation.

Still, the little sods will be back at school, where they belong, very soon. Not long to go at all!

Bechet45 said:
And now we know why Costa are moving into the pubs!

But really, Peter, we should be able to expect better behaviour in Lymington's coffee shops, now,shouldn't we? Just not good enough! The pendulum has swung too far from Britain's child un-friendly reputation.

Still, the little sods will be back at school, where they belong, very soon. Not long to go at all!
[/quote

OK, to be specific, my incident was at Costa in Lyndhurst.

My "local" is Nero in Lymington. Pushchair access is limited so it's quite peaceful there!

Northam Saint said:
It's all I how you bring them up and solely down to the parents.

Well before we had our second I'd have wholeheartedly agreed with that. Our first was a delight and you could take him practically anywhere. Unfortunately boy number two has turned out to have a completely different personality to his brother and, at times, is very hard to keep under control. His diet is unlikely to be to blame - he drinks no pop and eats a very healthy diet, mainly of fruit and veg. He is likely to be one of those children that gets on people's wicks while dining out. Now four and a half, he is gradually calming down, but very little about his behaviour seems to be influenced by myself or Mrs PC. He loves to show off and be the centre of attention. He's never horrible, but often noisy and boisterous. At least he's not lacking personality and one of those shy, shrinking-violets I suppose!

Pig Cat said:
Northam Saint said:
It's all I how you bring them up and solely down to the parents.

Well before we had our second I'd have wholeheartedly agreed with that. Our first was a delight and you could take him practically anywhere. Unfortunately boy number two has turned out to have a completely different personality to his brother and, at times, is very hard to keep under control. His diet is unlikely to be to blame - he drinks no pop and eats a very healthy diet, mainly of fruit and veg. He is likely to be one of those children that gets on people's wicks while dining out. Now four and a half, he is gradually calming down, but very little about his behaviour seems to be influenced by myself or Mrs PC. He loves to show off and be the centre of attention. He's never horrible, but often noisy and boisterous. At least he's not lacking personality and one of those shy, shrinking-violets I suppose!

Funnily enough our second is different to our son. He's twelve and always been pretty calm, but our daughter can be a handful at times particularly with my wife. During her early years, SWMBO worked away and we think sometimes she tries to punish her. With me she is really good and I'm pretty calm with her. But that said she's never showed us up out eating. I sometimes wonder too if the second tries to get more attention whereas one on their own gets it all. As for diet ours get a good mixed bag, given the chance both would live off of fruit and veg. Like you say a bit of personality is a good thing, especially in a girl I feel.

I hope I haven't offended by my comments and Its quite apparent your not like that, I'm guilty of generalising. I don't know what yours are like but don't you find kids in general are usually quite outgoing? We've often been to places where they have play areas and found both kids have made a friend. In my experience I've found the worse kids at making friends sometimes are the home taught ones. One of my ex Cubs who as home taught, would avoid contact with all the others even when they tried to talk to him, in the end they gave up. He was a strange lad, very quiet and timid, the work blood was mentioned once during first aid so he lay on the floor and wouldn't move.

Northam Saint said:
I hope I haven't offended by my comments and Its quite apparent your not like that, I'm guilty of generalising.

You certainly didn't offend me. It is natural to generalise but I thought I'd put a shout in for parents who do their best but sometimes their children just don't always cooperate. It might be that we're just not pulling the right strings - I know he is worse when he sees we are stressed, so of course with visitors or dining out! He might need a different approach but we certainly try to encourage good behaviour. No doubt he'll become an actor or musician one day and his extrovert nature will become useful...

Northam Saint said:
It's all I how you bring them up and solely down to the parents. I feel my kids shouldn't have an impact on others and their enjoyment of a meal, coffee or flight, etc. My kids are far from perfect but they know when to behave.

My eldest (21) has ADHD.

I lost count of the number of times we almost ended up fighting due to his condition which gives him a dangerously reckless attitude with very little concern for consequences. These episodes were usually triggered by someone trying to 'control' him.

He is a different lad now. Polite and considerate but still has the underlying potential to wreck a small town on his own.

Daughter (19) and youngest (13) have never been a problem. In fact, the weekly nip into town and a stop-off at any one of 20 coffee shops is often the highlight of our trip.

Best to just let kids be themselves, I think ... and stop drinking coffee if the caffeine makes you so tetchy?

Hmm, tricky one. i'd say find a small one that the mums don't know about. we take our daughter out to cafes and make sure that she knows its a treat. usually she behaves, but then we also have in the bag some sticker/colouring books to so she can entertain herself.

apart from the catching up aspect, the other is a lack of toilet facilities, so in some respects its a bit like a "Mcpiss" but just nappy/potty related. where i live in shef, the public toilets for the park are open from 10-14.30.

you could get some ear plugs!
steve

Back
Top Bottom